Now driver, this here ain't no bull****

r3gulator3

Friendly Neighborhood Former Technician
Staff member
Supporter
Hand is more of a cowboy thing, working a ranch you make your self a hand, or earn your keep. I see it’s hand as a respectful thing. But there ain’t too many you find these days worthy of it.

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
Hand is more of a cowboy thing, working a ranch you make your self a hand, or earn your keep. I see it’s hand as a respectful thing. But there ain’t too many you find these days worthy of it.
Yup hand is a cowboy thing. Very much cowboys when it came to getting the job done.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
You call a driver a driver and you call a driver you respect hand.
I hear what you're saying guys, but you're using Hollywood definitions of words that meant something totally different in our language over the years.

Southern planters used the word "hand" to describe enslaved African Americans in the pre-civil war era. It's all over newspapers, business and personal communications preserved from the era. Slave drivers would figure how many hands it would take to make so much cotton, at this many pounds per bale, for that much $$ per bale on the docks of New Orleans.

r3gulator3 r3gulator3 is quite correct that "hand" is used to describe "ranch hands" for instance in many movies that we've seen throughout the years, for what we commonly think of as "cowboys." That was a term coined to mean western criminals who lived out with the cows in the 1870s - the movie "Tombstone" was accurate in its use for a hand that terrorized the town.

So... when you call someone a "hand," now you know. It wasn't always a term.of respect.

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
I've done so many circles in the yard looking for non-existent containers that I felt like a headless chicken.
The cans I hauled where from overseas and every steamship line had different colored cans so it kinda cut down the possibilities and the prefix and numbers
I can't imagine looking for a can in stacks with all the same color and same prefix. :foreheadslap:

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
So... when you call someone a "hand," now you know. It wasn't always a term.of respect.
Maybe not but it has been a term of respect over the last 20 years and maybe beyond that, I don't know.
Dammit you people will argue over anything. Like a bunch of truck "drivers" :rolllaugh:

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
Maybe not but it has been a term of respect over the last 20 years and maybe beyond that, I don't know.
Dammit you people will argue over anything. Like a bunch of truck "drivers" :rolllaugh:
Maybe you oughtta call the respected guys "driver," an' mega seat meat chained to th' steering wheel "hand..."

:stirpot2:

dchawk81

Supporter
The cans I hauled where from overseas and every steamship line had different colored cans so it kinda cut down the possibilities and the prefix and numbers
I can't imagine looking for a can in stacks with all the same color and same prefix. :foreheadslap:
It didn't take me long to are least know what first digits meant older can with rivets vs newer can with welds. And further than that older new digits meant faded paint and newer digits meant shiny paint.

But that new digit old ass white rivited one with no Schneider decals really screwed me up. Drove past it 5x before actually seeing it as ours.

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
Wow man, I was perusing the auto trader online today. These people are asking 10 grand for a Ranger that sold for 10 grand 8 years ago but now it has 200,000 kilometers on it? I think these people are doing a marijuana when they post.

dave350

Wow man, I was perusing the auto trader online today. These people are asking 10 grand for a Ranger that sold for 10 grand 8 years ago but now it has 200,000 kilometers on it? I think these people are doing a marijuana when they post.
This is an opportunity. I’ll buy some Rangers down here on the cheap and send them up to you to sell for big profit. All we need is some seed monies. :D

Hey Blood Blood you in? :sneaky:

Don’t worry he got money. :toothpick:

Now, should we ship them on an open deck or a reefer? :biglaugh: