No idle ac keeps shutting down after few(1-2) hours.

Chybaka

Title pretty much says it all.
No idle Ac works fine and blows cold air, depending on the temperature outside it will shut down after about 1(when its hot 90+) to 3hours (<90).
When it shuts down, the whole temperature panel in sleeper cuts off as if it has shorted out, then comes back on after 15sec. After no idle ac cuts off its is possible to start it back again but it would only run for 10-20 seconds and shut down again.
The batteries are not bad (had them tested it at the private shop) The light in truck and regular outside air blower still works from the sleeper control panel after shut down.
I have cleaned out the water run off hose on passenger side.
I would really apreciate if someone could help me with this issue, running to hot places like Florida kills me cz I got auto shut down. So I have to keep a bottle of water stuck between the gas pedal and the wall. Anyways please help!

Duck

My other car is a POS too
Supporter
Are you referring to the APU as a "no idle"?

If so, Thermo King, Rigmaster, battery powered thing,...?

I don't know much about any of those units but mndriver mndriver probably does.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
No clue what he's talking about.

I know there are some non-apu systems out there. I have had no exposures to them.

Blood

Driveler Emeritus
Supporter
Sounds like a Nite system or something like it...
battery powered.

Title pretty much says it all.
No idle Ac works fine and blows cold air, depending on the temperature outside it will shut down after about 1(when its hot 90+) to 3hours (<90).
When it shuts down, the whole temperature panel in sleeper cuts off as if it has shorted out, then comes back on after 15sec. After no idle ac cuts off its is possible to start it back again but it would only run for 10-20 seconds and shut down again.
The batteries are not bad (had them tested it at the private shop) The light in truck and regular outside air blower still works from the sleeper control panel after shut down.
I have cleaned out the water run off hose on passenger side.
I would really apreciate if someone could help me with this issue, running to hot places like Florida kills me cz I got auto shut down. So I have to keep a bottle of water stuck between the gas pedal and the wall. Anyways please help!
I don't know anything about your system either but it sounds like you have a breaker or relay over heating and resetting.
May be a bad breaker or may be caused from dirt and/or clutter around the control panel causing it to over heat.
Could be the blower motor going out and over heating the circuits.

If you can get to the control panel and blower motor try checking by touch of hand for anything that's too hot to touch for longer than it takes your brain to order your hand away.
If you're thinking, "Yeah, that's pretty warm." , probably not your issue.
If you're thinking, "OW!! SONOVABITCH!!" ...
there you go.
;)

Meanwhile,
If you post the make/model of your truck one of the esteemed members of TFN [or even one of the douche-nozzles] may be able to tell you how to override/defeat the auto shutdown.

Godspeed.
Let us know.

Chybaka

First of all thank you guys for the replies. I was so frustrated with Ac I forgot to mention what I got.
I got 2012 international eagle prostar.
No idle ac is not tk.
My ac box is located on passenger side under the bed.
I have checked the fuses in front of passenger seat and there seems to be none for noidle sleeper ac.

I have a suspicion it is a relay too or freon problem. But freon can only be charged by the dealer. So I wish to eliminate small probs before spending big bucks.

GAnthony

Methuselah
Supporter
First of all thank you guys for the replies. I was so frustrated with Ac I forgot to mention what I got.
I got 2012 international eagle prostar.
No idle ac is not tk.
My ac box is located on passenger side under the bed.
I have checked the fuses in front of passenger seat and there seems to be none for noidle sleeper ac.

I have a suspicion it is a relay too or freon problem. But freon can only be charged by the dealer. So I wish to eliminate small probs before spending big bucks.
have you taken that airbox apart..??

one sleeper truck i had, there was a huge accumulation of cred/dust/pet hair, clogging it up, and i had only taken the truck over from someone that had a pet, but i had to do the cleaning. if the airflow is restricted, this can cause you a problem as well.

there are Freon kits you can buy, make sure it is the proper type you need, in fact, there is a kit that has a gauge on it. that gauge is helpful, as you will not be able to over charge the system.

Chybaka

have you taken that airbox apart..??

one sleeper truck i had, there was a huge accumulation of cred/dust/pet hair, clogging it up, and i had only taken the truck over from someone that had a pet, but i had to do the cleaning. if the airflow is restricted, this can cause you a problem as well.

there are Freon kits you can buy, make sure it is the proper type you need, in fact, there is a kit that has a gauge on it. that gauge is helpful, as you will not be able to over charge the system.
Unfortunately it can only be charged by the dealer since it is a whole separate unit, it does tap in main coolant tho. There's a filter for air intake which seems to be clean,

GAnthony

Methuselah
Supporter
Unfortunately it can only be charged by the dealer since it is a whole separate unit, it does tap in main coolant tho. There's a filter for air intake which seems to be clean,
what do you mean, a whole separate uni.>?????

the a/c in the dash, is the same a/c in the sleeper....there are lines that run under the tractor. you have an airbox, usually under the lower bunk, that gets dirty, it really has no filter, just a screen. you have an air inlet, under the dash at the passenger front foot well, which may or may not have a foam filter, this area also gets dirty. every a/c system i have ever seen, has "taps" for the freon lines, both high side and low side.

is this an APU that has an a/c set up, where this is happening.>???

Chybaka

what do you mean, a whole separate uni.>?????

the a/c in the dash, is the same a/c in the sleeper....there are lines that run under the tractor. you have an airbox, usually under the lower bunk, that gets dirty, it really has no filter, just a screen. you have an air inlet, under the dash at the passenger front foot well, which may or may not have a foam filter, this area also gets dirty. every a/c system i have ever seen, has "taps" for the freon lines, both high side and low side.

is this an APU that has an a/c set up, where this is happening.>???
I got one just like this one

GAnthony

Methuselah
Supporter
wow...ok..an entirely new a/c system for me.....

it said in the first part of the video, the ignition switch must be off, so i'll surmise, you have yours off, when this thing is on...otherwise, it shuts it down. i am wondering if you have a bad ignition switch....

next it mentions fan speeds, the guy recommends a medium setting, due to battery usage. it is highly possible, you have a battery going bad.

as i did, he too mentions the air filter

as he said, no driver serviceable parts, shop must take care of it...

good luck, you're screwed.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
Can you find a data plate and post a picture of it?

Even the control panel and the unit itself.

Chybaka

Can you find a data plate and post a picture of it?

Even the control panel and the unit itself.
Where would I find it?
I have digged up all net and couldn't find a post similar to this one lol.
Even instruction book only tells you how to change a filter and that's it..

This seems like a needle in the ass

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
Where is the control panel? Let's start with that.

Even a picture of the Instruction manual cover and main information page is more than what I or anyone we has right now.

Duck

My other car is a POS too
Supporter
After no idle ac cuts off its is possible to start it back again but it would only run for 10-20 seconds and shut down again.
Wait about 3 minutes & see if it'll run longer.

I don't think it'll fix the problem but could rule out something.

Modern air conditioners designed for low energy use are programmed not to restart within X amount of minutes after its been on. Higher refrigerant pressure (or something... I'm not an expert) in the system causes more mechanical resistance on the pump/motor to start it up, and that causes the motor to draw a lot more power during startup than usual.

I don't know if your "no idle" is even set up to delay restarting the compressor, and if so, if it's just a simple timer or if it's actually got a refrigerant pressure switch.

Too much refrigerant pressure in an automotive AC system turns the radiator fan on. Too much in an electric powered system MIGHT... might shut the system down.

Again I don't know that much about this stuff & have never heard much at all about the battery powered APU system you've got.