News Coverage Regarding Trucker Strikes

Mike

Staff member
I am seeing more and more news coverage regarding truckers shutting their rigs down. Success or not, this has truly been the most news covered talk of a shutdown that I can remember, and it should only increase.

Seen a story? Post it here. Give us a little snippet of the story, along with the link.

Edit 3/26.08 - After searching for these for a few days, the news media is now going crazy with these stories. Thanks to all of you who have contacted the media outlets..

truck strike - Google News

Mike

Staff member
Truckers Planning Strike

With the cost of fuel on the rise, some are feeling the pinch in more ways than one.

Some truckers say they are so fed up with the cost of diesel fuel, they are going to strike April 1st.

Todd Wiggins is one of the owner operators planning to put his truck in park. Wiggins says he has to pay for his own fuel, and with the cost of fuel on the rise, it's hurting his pocket.

"If you run hard in a week you may spend $2,000 to $3,000 dollars on diesel,"says Wiggins.

He says big rigs hold around 300 gallons on average, but they only get about seven miles per gallon.

By parking their trucks to get their message across, he says it may hurt everyone.
"If we're down for a day or three days, you know you may see prices in the grocery store rise,"says Wiggans.

Truckers Planning Strike - Mobile Alabama News AL Pensacola Florida News FL

Mike

Staff member
Truckers Consider Strike

Truckers who have to use diesel gasoline they say they're fed up with the price they're paying at the pump.

Dozens of truckers got together in Macon to consider going on strike.

Right now a gallon of diesel gas is close to four dollars in central georgia.

Danny Ashley, a spokesperson for the group said diesel prices have put some truckers out of business the rest of them are headed to unemployment.

13WMAZ.com - Truckers Consider Strike

Mike

Staff member
Trucker's Strike Looming: Fuel Cost Protest in April

A trucker's strike may be looming on the horizon. Many independent over the road truck drivers are fed up with rising fuel and insurance costs and are looking into organizing and trying to join together to take rigs off the road and that would mean shortages at supermarkets, convenience stores and if it was carried out to the extreme, eventually at every retail outlet in America. Everything that gets delivered to a retail store in your city or town is eventually delivered by a truck, and if it were highly organized a strike could paralyze the economy.

National Ledger - Trucker's Strike Looming: Fuel Cost Protest in April, Real or Hoax?

Mike

Staff member
Hunkering down

It’s not a pleasant time to be in the trucking business, to say the least. With fuel prices way, way out of sight and freight still sluggish due to the U.S.’s rocky economy, it’s been a tough road to travel for independent truckers and fleets, plus truck manufacturers and related suppliers alike.

Just look at the escalating cost of fuel. In 17 states now, diesel costs over $4 a gallon. The industry trade group American Trucking Association (ATA) is projecting that if diesel fuel costs stay that high, the trucking industry will spend $135 billion on fuel this year – a $22 billion increase over the $112.6 billion spent by trucking in 2007 and an $85 BILLION increase over the industry’s fuel tab of $52 billion back in 2003. That means, according to ATA’s data, the cost to fill the fuel tanks on a typical tractor-trailer has increased 116%, or $615, in just five years.

“Fuel represents the second-highest operating expense for motor carriers, accounting for as much as 25% of total operating costs,” said Bill Graves, ATA’s president and CEO. “For some motor carriers, however, fuel is beginning to surpass labor as their largest expense. An affordable supply of diesel fuel is imperative to keep our trucks moving, [yet] there is little to suggest that fuel prices will decline any time soon.”

The high price of diesel is also sparking talk of a nationwide trucker strike on April 1

Trucks at Work: Blog at Fleetowner.com

Mike

Staff member
$4-A-Gallon Diesel Squeezes Truckers

Florida falls just below the national average. According to AAA figures, the most expensive average price for diesel is in New York, where a gallon goes for $4.33. The cheapest can be bought in Oklahoma, where a gallon goes for $3.84. Twenty-six states have averages under $4 a gallon.

It's enough to have sparked a word-of-mouth strike next week by independent truckers. Cunningham said he will stay home at least a couple of days to protest the high price of fuel and the stinginess of those who pay to haul their products to market.

"Freight prices haven't gone up in years," he said.

'Freight Rate Is Not Going Up'

For an independent trucker, the price of fuel is almost too much to handle. To fill up his rig, which, like most semis, gets about five miles to a gallon, Cunningham pays more than $1,000, he said. Last week, he topped off his tanks with 154 gallons and spent $613.

$4-A-Gallon Diesel Squeezes Truckers

Mike

Staff member
Local Truckers On Strike Over High Gas Prices

ARMSTRONG COUNTY, Pa. -- Monday morning, several truckers turned off their engines to protest the over $4 a gallon and up they are paying for diesel fuel.The strike began at midnight Sunday and could impact many items bought at stores.Starting at midnight, truckers have been pulling off Route 66 in Armstrong County to show their support for the protest.

Local Truckers On Strike Over High Gas Prices - News Story - WPXI Pittsburgh

Mike

Staff member
Independent Truckers Talking One Day Protest/Strike

Huntington, WV (HNN) – Many a grassroots movement has grown to significance from a bunch of determined people utilizing the internet to the fullest. Republican Presidential Candidate Ron Paul fueled his campaign almost solely on internet contributions and responses. Angry television series fans have bombarded more than one (“Jericho,” for instance) television network with Save Our Show pleadings.

According to a Quad Cities, Iowa published report, the price of gasoline will bring many independent truckers to a stop April 1. The newspaper quoted Dan Little, owner/operator of a livestock hauling company in Missouri as saying 1,000 other truckers have committed to the April Fools Day halt of the big rigs.

Why? In the words of one owner/operator: “The fuel is too high and there’s no reason for it.”

Diesel fuel has topped $4.00 per gallon in many states. The truckers says they not only can’t make a profit they are going broke.

Huntington News

Mike

Staff member
Pain at the pump for truckers

MEBANE (WTVD) -- Everyone's complaining these days about high gas prices. But, it turns out truckers have it worse. And there is now talk of a strike.
The price of diesel is climbing even faster than gasoline. In fact, in some places diesel has already topped four dollars a gallon, and that has truckers crying foul.
The big trucks that help move important goods into our communities get about five miles a gallon and can cost more than 800 bucks per tank to fill.
Anthony Martin has been an independent truck driver for years. But with diesel prices around $4.00 a gallon. Times are tough. Before he takes a job he has to ask himself some serious questions.

abc11.com: Pain at the pump for truckers as diesel prices climb 3/24/08

Mike

Staff member
Truckers threaten to strike over gas prices

PAULSBORO, N.J. - March 24, 2008 (WPVI) -- They are the men and women who keep our economy moving, and they are threatening to go on strike. Truck drivers say soaring fuel prices are leaving them broke and they plan to fight back.

At a Paulsboro truck stop drivers are paying $3.95 a gallon for diesel. In many other states the price is well over $4. Fuel costs are taking such a big cut off truckers' profits, some are calling for a strike.

Trucker Wayne Casimir tells Action News, "I've been in trucking for 38 years and I've never seen it this rough."

Casimir is talking about the price of diesel. Each tank full is costing two to three-hundred dollars more than it did six months ago. Since just about everything we buy gets to where we buy it by truck, some of the higher fuel costs are reflected in higher prices, on items ranging from food to clothing to gas. But a lot of the fuel costs are coming directly out of truckers' profits... especially if they're owner-operators.

6abc.com: Fuel prompts call for strike 3/24/08

Mike

Staff member
Truck drivers slow down with the economy

As our nation's economy slows down, so are truckers in their big rigs.

Drive down any highway these days and you’ll notice most truck drivers are sticking to the slow lane.

Driving under the posted speed limit can save fuel and with diesel prices now averaging more than 4 dollars a gallon, truckers everywhere are slowing down.

Many have no choice.

That's because many trucking companies are now putting governors on trucks that restrict them to a maximum speed of 60 miles per hour.

“So you really can’t go faster that 60 MPH?,” asked Wayne Havrelly. “No, that’s all we’ve got,” said Brent Wolfley a local trucker. “Diesel is the cheapest product to make in the refinery and we’re having to pay 60 cents more than gas which is not fair,” said Allen Benedict a local independent trucker.

Diesel prices have skyrocketed a remarkable 50% in the past year.

Nearly every product we buy is transported by truck. Consumer prices on many products have already started to rise because of the higher fuel costs.

Independent owner operators say the situation is so bad, they are planning a 3 day nationwide strike for the first week of April. Truck drivers slow down with the economy | Business | kgw.com | News for Oregon and SW Washington

Mike

Staff member
Truckers Call For Strike To Protest High Diesel Costs

Diesel fuel set a new record high, rising 1.5 cents over last week's numbers to $3.99 a gallon. That's up $1.31 from a year ago, according to the federal Energy Information Administration.

In many parts of the country, diesel fuel is up more than $4 a gallon.

Some truckers are calling for a strike on April 1 to protest the high costs of diesel fuel.

One trucker said her company has asked drivers to stop idling their tractor-trailers to try to conserve on gas. She said it is costing the company anywhere from about $560 to $1,000 to fill up the tanks.

Truckers Call For Strike To Protest High Diesel Costs - Traffic News Story - WRC | Washington

Mike

Staff member
Truck drivers’ strike picks up speed

When my story from last week about plans for a truckers’ strike appeared Monday on the high-traffic Drudge Report Web site, the calls and e-mails poured in.

I heard from CNN in Atlanta as well as small-time radio stations across the nation. I hung up the phone after listening to a dozen new messages and had four more come in during the few minutes I was tying up the line.

The potential impact of this thing is tremendous, and people are beginning to notice.

The call for a drivers’ shutdown started small — with an owner/operator who hauls cattle in Missouri. The trucker, Dan Little, posted his plans to shut down on his Web site, and someone brought it to our attention at the Times.

Now it’s been brought to the attention of thousands, and Little’s plan to park his rig, beginning April 1, has truckers lining up across the nation to join him.

Several non-truckers wanted to know how they could help the drivers, and some people said they would park their passenger vehicles in a show of solidarity.

Truck drivers’ strike picks up speed / QCTimes.com

(Glad to see this lady still pushing the strike news, I don't agree with her idea that one person is leading this though)

Mike

Staff member
Could trucks across the country shut down for a day?

Over the Easter weekend fuel prices climbed even higher and the trucking industry is really feeling the effects.

According to AAA of Idaho, fuel prices jumped up to an average of $3.28 diesel even more at $4.05 and it's not even summer yet.

The trucking industry has been especially feeling the effects of the rising fuel cost.

One trucking company out of Missouri is calling on all truckers that can to come to a stand still on April 1st.

Dan Little says, "I put on my web-site that I was going to shut down my truck April 1st to send message to Washington o.k. that we need them to take a realistic look at the American trucking industry."

KMVT - LOCAL - Could trucks across the country shut down for a day?

Big Rig Man

The Shut Down

All I have to say I hope it works. I started driving in 1965, bought my 1st truck in 66, my ex made me get rid of it in 70, then I got rid of her, then went back to being a company driver for a few years. I then met Mike Parkhurst, joined Roadmaster's, spent a lot of time in L.A. and at the OverDrive Road Mansion, which some of you Old Timers might remember, and help organize the best truck shutdown (1972) this country has ever seen. It was the only one that has ever been successful. There have several attempts to have shutdowns ever since and they have been unsuccessful because everyone one wants to be the Big Chief and no one wants to be the Brave. Everyone wants to be the Leader and no one wants to be the Follower. Want some advice? No! Wel here it is anyway, Choose one person or a small group of people to Organize a shutdown, let them choose the date, and let them decide what, where, when and how to accomplish the agenda, as to what we want.

What am I doing now? I am semi-retired, but I am still involved in the industry in an administrative capacity. I own my own business. I will not expand on that in this forum.

CarolinaTrucker

Got a news story about the trucker shutdown. Go to www.wnct and watch this. I contacted the news channel by email and they are getting the word out April 1st Trucker Strike!!! Contact your local news and get the word on the air.

BigMaN

Regarding the Strike

I want all of you guys and gals out there to know how much we appreciate what you do, especially here in Texas. Your job is so very important to the survival of American infrastucture. We have to feed our families and fuel our cars. What this country is doing to you is the same thing they are doing to every other small business owner in every other industry - taxing you right out of business. It doesn't really matter if your truck or trucks are paid for. With gas prices the way they and the insurance companies having a stranglehold on you how can you possibly afford to make a living. You will save money by sitting at home spending time with your families. I have not always felt this way. There were times when I felt as though pending strikes were just excuses to make more money. Well, maybe they were and maybe they weren't. That is not the point now. The point now is that myself and a very large number of true patriots out there have prepared ourselves for the hit financial and supply hit if you strike and we will gladly make the sacrifice for you to take a stand for what is right. The fascist methods our current regimeare using to regulate your industry is running you straight out of work into the hands of corporate America and it is destroying the working and middle class. I am working and middle class. You are working and middle class. It is Un-American and we are behind you. Do what you must.

Godspeed,
BigMaN

IIronman

I want all of you guys and gals out there to know how much we appreciate what you do, especially here in Texas. Your job is so very important to the survival of American infrastucture. We have to feed our families and fuel our cars. What this country is doing to you is the same thing they are doing to every other small business owner in every other industry - taxing you right out of business. It doesn't really matter if your truck or trucks are paid for. With gas prices the way they and the insurance companies having a stranglehold on you how can you possibly afford to make a living. You will save money by sitting at home spending time with your families. I have not always felt this way. There were times when I felt as though pending strikes were just excuses to make more money. Well, maybe they were and maybe they weren't. That is not the point now. The point now is that myself and a very large number of true patriots out there have prepared ourselves for the hit financial and supply hit if you strike and we will gladly make the sacrifice for you to take a stand for what is right. The fascist methods our current regimeare using to regulate your industry is running you straight out of work into the hands of corporate America and it is destroying the working and middle class. I am working and middle class. You are working and middle class. It is Un-American and we are behind you. Do what you must.

Godspeed,
BigMaN
Thank you VERY much for posting!:clap::cheers::clap:

Latest posts