Newbie with broken hand

Kateganz

Hey Everyone,

My husband is still in his new hire probation period with Roehl, he just broke his hand last night and is afraid he is going to get fired now, can they really do that? Not that Roehl has been anything other than a nightmare

bigyellowpete

Town Bike
Supporter
I am pretty sure hurting yourself isn't grounds for dismissal anywhere. If it was a job related incident, I would imagine he is covered by some kind of workers compensation agreement as well for the medical costs and loss of income associated with it. On the job injuries should be reported to your employer at once.

patriciajnsn

Steering Wheel Holder
Howd he break his hand???????????????????????? Was it on the job or at home??????I would say it depends how he broke it.Did he do something unsafe and he knew this or was just an accident.Roehl may call him into the safety dept and they'll determine if this is grounds for dismissal or not.Did he go to the doctor????????????They'll want a doctor slip.I think if this was done at work Roehl will send him home till he sees a docotr and the doc releases him to go back to work,
Hey Everyone,

My husband is still in his new hire probation period with Roehl, he just broke his hand last night and is afraid he is going to get fired now, can they really do that? Not that Roehl has been anything other than a nightmare

Kateganz

No he broke it while fixing a door outside and fell off six steps. He is afraid that since he's new he will lose his job and has no medical, etc. and obviously he can't drive at least till he sees and ortho tomorrow that he'll make no money so is of no value to the Co

patriciajnsn

Steering Wheel Holder
Well in that case he won't lose his job.They'll put him on LOA(leave of absence).First thing he needs to do in the morning is call Rohel.They won't fire him.Do not go back there till you talk to them because they'll just send him home anyway.They will want a doctors release and u must get that before you return back to work.They don't want you to fax it.That's how one trucking company is.I imagine most are the same.
No he broke it while fixing a door outside and fell off six steps. He is afraid that since he's new he will lose his job and has no medical, etc. and obviously he can't drive at least till he sees and ortho tomorrow that he'll make no money so is of no value to the Co

Kateganz

He went to the ER today and has to go to an Orthopedic Dr. tomorrow to determine if it needs casting, the ER Dr. wasn't sure.

I am concerned about him driving in pain and he certainly cannot take painkillers while driving, the part that's making us both nervous is if he doesn't drive he doesn't get paid/or possibly get fired.

Racer X 69

An employer cannot fire you because you have been injured, on the job or not. But if you are careless, and violate company safety rules, then they may have reason for disciplinary action, even termination.

So how come he cannot drive? Is it his right hand? That may interfere with a driver's ability to manipulate the range and split levers, but otherwise, a person should be able to manage driving. It may be uncomfortable, for sure.

How long has he been with Roehl?

Kateganz

Unfortunitley it's his right hand and it's pretty painful from what he says, X Ray showed decent sized fracture. He has been with them about four months now

I broke my hand last year and the did surgery and put a pin through the bone for 6 to 8 wks and then took it back out I could use my hand like nothing had ever happened and another plus no pain meds needed.

lunachic

BITE ME !
Let him get it fixed, for now know one will hire him to drive.
He can ask roehl and climb the ladder asking if there is any other work he can do around the office till he heals.
He's new so what kind of job did he come out out that he can apply, And don't be stupid proud even sweeping floors will bring home a pay check.

bigyellowpete

Town Bike
Supporter
Let him get it fixed, for now know one will hire him to drive.
He can ask roehl and climb the ladder asking if there is any other work he can do around the office till he heals.
He's new so what kind of job did he come out out that he can apply, And don't be stupid proud even sweeping floors will bring home a pay check.
Good advice Luna. Even with a severe brain injury he could dispatch, or go into politics.