New tools

** Commie Express **
Supporter
With all the Fathers Day specials going on I broke down and bought all new tools. I've had the same sockets since I was a teenager. That was a long long long long time ago. They were a collection of everything under the sun just laying around in my top tray of my toolbox. My toolbox weighed at least 75 pounds and a pain in the azz to get it out of my side compartment. I bought one of those 140 piece socket sets in a nice case and a huge set of wrenches with one end that's a ratchet. I bought some heavy duty bags to put all the wrenches in and out of my toolbox so between them and the sockets my toolbox is much lighter now.

I can't wait for something to break that I can fix now!!!

terrylamar

With all the Fathers Day specials going on I broke down and bought all new tools. I've had the same sockets since I was a teenager. That was a long long long long time ago. They were a collection of everything under the sun just laying around in my top tray of my toolbox. My toolbox weighed at least 75 pounds and a pain in the azz to get it out of my side compartment. I bought one of those 140 piece socket sets in a nice case and a huge set of wrenches with one end that's a ratchet. I bought some heavy duty bags to put all the wrenches in and out of my toolbox so between them and the sockets my toolbox is much lighter now.

I have a few things you can work on! Just trying to help!

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter

Why wait? Break something now! If it ain't broke you are just not trying.lol

** Commie Express **
Supporter
Well, that did not take long at all.

Left the truck stop this morning, got on the highway and all of a sudden started hearing a really bad sound from the rear end. The trucks, not mine you meat heads. It would come and go. I pushed the pedal to the floor and the clutch was slipping. When the sound happened I could push in the clutch and the sound would go away. So I'm thinking my clutch just went south.

Pull over on an exit ramp and come to find out, the ride height bolt and nut had come out of the rubber thinger dinger. I just had my ride height valve replaced and realized the mechanic must have dropped the washer and put one too small and it made it's way out.

So, I pull out my most glorious shinny new tool set and begin to work. Got my tupperware container full of misc bolts, washers and such and put larger washers on. Problem solved. Guess I should have kept my mouth shut about wanting to use my new tools.

Hondo Lane

Left the truck stop this morning, got on the highway and all of a sudden started hearing a really bad sound from the rear end. The trucks, not mine you meat heads. It would come and go. I pushed the pedal to the floor and the clutch was slipping. When the sound happened I could push in the clutch and the sound would go away. So I'm thinking my clutch just went south.

Pull over on an exit ramp and come to find out, the ride height bolt and nut had come out of the rubber thinger dinger. I just had my ride height valve replaced and realized the mechanic must have dropped the washer and put one too small and it made it's way out.

So, I pull out my most glorious shinny new tool set and begin to work. Got my tupperware container full of misc bolts, washers and such and put larger washers on. Problem solved. Guess I should have kept my mouth shut about wanting to use my new tools.
Dont forget to check the nut behind the steering wheel :leer:

2xR

******* Derelict *******
Supporter
I only need two tools to fix the truck... a cell phone and the company credit card.

As Racer is fond of saying, "easy-squeezy."

Okay, realistically, I do keep a handful of essential tools that could help me with a repair that would otherwise inconvenience me to wait for the Road Squad.

I can usually fix it, or, fix it so it'll have to be fixed.

At the home-20 I'm just a lift away from being commercial grade with two upright chest, complete with top boxes, stocked full of everything from ignition tools to 3/4" drives. The only wrench I need, but, don't have is a 7/16" open-end that is 18" long for tightening the header bolts on the Pony. I'm gonna' have to make that one.

bigyellowpete

Town Bike
Supporter

If the bolt you installed isn't a "shoulder" bolt, that is it is smooth up towards the head, not threaded all the way, it will tear up the rubber it is running through. You may want to find one and install it to replace your temporary fix if this is the case.

** Commie Express **
Supporter
If the bolt you installed isn't a "shoulder" bolt, that is it is smooth up towards the head, not threaded all the way, it will tear up the rubber it is running through. You may want to find one and install it to replace your temporary fix if this is the case.
Yes, it was a shoulder bolt but there was only one washer and it was small enough to be pulled through the rubber grommet. I didn't have to replace the bolt, just a bigger washer.

boone315

SPACE TRUCKING

I have a 210 piece Stanley ratchet set that I bought in '93 and has worked great for just about every minor repair I have had to do, until I went to replace the brakes on my Harley, surprise surprise, neither the metric or standard sockets would work,, had to buy a 'Harley' wrench set @ 5 pieces for $54. That was as much as I paid for the Stanley set.,

DubbleD

Color Commentator
I have a 210 piece Stanley ratchet set that I bought in '93 and has worked great for just about every minor repair I have had to do, until I went to replace the brakes on my Harley, surprise surprise, neither the metric or standard sockets would work,, had to buy a 'Harley' wrench set @ 5 pieces for $54. That was as much as I paid for the Stanley set.,

Don't HD's come with a set hidden behind a cover of sorts? Mine did.

boone315

SPACE TRUCKING
ive had 14 harleys and some of them came in pieses in milk crates.....no tools included. lol.
That '74 iron head I bought included two boxes of parts, after replacing the upper gaskets, brakes and carb, we now have 3 boxes.