New Need Help

Hello everyone,

Glad to get to know this industry better. Im sure this site will be very helpful for me. To be honest I'm in over my head in a new job as Im now involved in buying/selling Trucks, and while I'm a car guy that know everything and is obsessed with cars. I know very little about trucks, what I know will barely fill this post, and what there is to know is probably a few books worth. I will be dealing with used equipment mainly from 97-2010 with possible leeway on the age depending on the Truck. Obviously the person that hired me knows that I have limited knowledge and I will not be making deals right away, It will be important for me to learn fast.

Feel free to msg me anything, or link me any valuable information, what I need to know is basically what I know about cars. I need to know each Manufacturers reputation in the industry, common engines, engines that are good, engines to avoid,, questions to ask. Ill just stop there because basically im asking to learn everything ha.

tommyh

good luck
a lot of those questions will be answered differently depending on who replys
me,I`m a Cat man,there are Detroit diesel guys here and so on
some like trucks with those long fancy hoods,some like those aerodynamic fronts

Aero trucks suck

Hoods rule

Cat, Cummins, or Detroit. Top three motors

Volvo’s SUCK. Peterbilt, KW, International, Freightliner, those are good trucks

COEs are cool :biggrin-2:

Last edited:
Ha thanks guys, exactly the kind of banter I was looking for. I only know detroit diesels sound amazing, even car guys know that.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
You'll want to get familiar with the emissions requirements for which year.

My suggestion would be to go have a discussion with someone at a local Cummins or Detroit engine shop and see if you can get into one of their really basic engine information classes. Lot to be learned their.

At the very least, learn the difference between epa98, epa04, epa 07, epa10, and ghg17 requirements.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
Never realized how good my Detroit really sounded

Flatbedders do it right and in the open, unlike you closed door sissys. Lol jk. Much respect to all drivers no matter what girly dry van they pull.

r3gulator3

Friendly Neighborhood Former Technician
Staff member
Supporter
Welcome to the forum, just a heads up, tread lightly with the pokes, you’ll stir up a hornets nest.

Flatbedders do it right and in the open, unlike you closed door sissys. Lol jk. Much respect to all drivers no matter what girly dry van they pull.
Damn straight. Testify brother no need to try to make it a joke. The lesser class drivers are a joke they show it every day :thefinger:

r3gulator3

Friendly Neighborhood Former Technician
Staff member
Supporter
Damn straight. Testify brother no need to try to make it a joke. The lesser class drivers are a joke they show it every day :thefinger:
**** dude! I have had too many beers at this point to say I can make a good judgement call. Don’t ****ing provoke it!!!