New Cascadia DD15 Fuel Water Separator - Detroit or Davco, and why?

r3gulator3

Friendly Neighborhood Former Technician
Staff member
Supporter

Hammer166

Instigateur №166™
Supporter
Electric heated is better is better IF the bottom of that seperator is froze or gelled, you can leave the key on a few minutes to thaw it out. Coolant heated requires the engine to warm up.
True. I always just blended if I was going to have the truck shut off. The rest of the time I'd just run treated #2

Mike

Staff member
Still haven’t found any specifics in the filter that goes in the Detroit model. Guess I will check with Freightliner and get the part number to see if anybody else supplies it so I can price shop before deciding.

dchawk81

You can't find a fass or airdog system for a new dd series e gone because the system already has it on it. Basically been designed into the fuel injection.

I ran an 09 cascadia in 2012 when I went back on the road. I must say with a 10 speed, I hated it. Especially in the mountains. The 13 speed dd15 I drove, I loved it. So I think it's more the transmission than the engine.

The engines we had, had the davco 487 on them. Didn't seem to really bother them. I've seen davcos branded Detroit. I'm just wondering if that's what's got you all flustered.
I'll second this. We lose it when we have to climb not for lack of power but for lack of the right gear.

Ranger_375

Electric heated is better is better IF the bottom of that seperator is froze or gelled, you can leave the key on a few minutes to thaw it out. Coolant heated requires the engine to warm up.
Except that if you have an APU, now the coolant model is better as you can have it as the beginning for the loop for the APU's circulation.

r3gulator3

Friendly Neighborhood Former Technician
Staff member
Supporter
Except that if you have an APU, now the coolant model is better as you can have it as the beginning for the loop for the APU's circulation.
Depends. Not all APUs circulate coolant thru the engine. Some are self contained generators to run shore power and HVAC and have a self contained electric HVAC unit under the bunk.