New Broker

Agent_Z

The reality is a carrier is forced to sign a carrier packet/rate con agreeing to a different term than what the law allows..
Different than what the law allows? Really? --- Then we go to paragraph D.

(d) Carriers may establish different credit periods in tariff rules. Carriers may publish tariff rules establishing credit periods different from those in paragraph (c) of this section. Such credit periods shall not be longer than 30 calendar days.

And once again I'll fall back on my argument that that the 30 day clock won't start until the paperwork and invoice received. If a broker and shipper has an agreement that the broker will get the paperwork filed withing X number of days, the deadline to pay won't begin until the shipper receives that paperwork.

(b) When the credit period begins. The credit period shall begin on the day following presentation of the freight bill.

It may take the broker several weeks to file their paperwork, like I said, depending on how that office's accounting system works. LDI paid within 21 days, at the latest. The office I work at now pays in 25. If the broker wants the carrier to snail mail the original BOL or POD, then that "presentation" date would be the day that the mail is delivered, and your clock would start the following day.

I've had carriers that don't get BOLs sent for 2 weeks. The fact remains that if you don't like what's in the contract, don't sign it. Or find a load with another broker.

Last edited:

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
I don't know how others do it, but ours re scanned and submitted ether before the driver leaves the property or else while they are waiting to load, but generally the same day.

So it comes back again....

Truckin' is the only industry I am aware of where the customer dictate to the service provider what and how they will be compensated for their work.

Agent_Z

I don't know how others do it, but ours re scanned and submitted ether before the driver leaves the property or else while they are waiting to load, but generally the same day.

So it comes back again....

Truckin' is the only industry I am aware of where the customer dictate to the service provider what and how they will be compensated for their work.
Plenty of brokers allow scanned or photo-copied version of the BOL or POD, but just because the brokers do doesn't mean the shippers do as well. If you ever get a case where the broker tells you to send a scanned version to them, and to also mail the original, then the shipper probably wants copies of the original. Which means the broker is waiting a lot longer than the carrier to get paid. The fact remains that the carriers get paid before the broker the majority of the time, which means that the broker is forced to juggle funds around in the meantime.

Do I think it's fair? --- I work a 1099 weekend job delivering groceries for one of the largest food chain stores in my state. They pay me via pay card the following day for the work I did the day before. If I make $75 on Saturday, the money is in my account Sunday morning by 10am. I think that's how every business should operate, but this industry doesn't work that way. It sucks, I know. Maybe you should write to congress?

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
It's MY policy that any broker that insists on mailed originals, won't go on my trucks. Plain and simple.

I got tired of waiting 45+ days to get paid from stupid games like that.

Either the rate con gives an email with acceptance of clear scanned copies or we don't do business.

It creates more than a few waves. But it's been changing rate cons.

Agent_Z

It's MY policy that any broker that insists on mailed originals, won't go on my trucks. Plain and simple.

Either the rate con gives an email with acceptance of clear scanned copies or we don't do business.

Keep preaching to the choir if it makes you feel better.

Thread starter #46

If in 2018 a shipper is still insistent on the original BOL before paying they are just being combative.

They can get the original for their files; that's not a problem. There's no reason they can't accept fax while waiting For the original. Some of these guys are ridiculous.

Thread starter #47
Who would you guys say are the best shippers are to reach out to in regards to general freight. I've been contacting all the beverage companies because as far as liability goes it's a safe commodity, always shipping and margins aren't right but enough to be profitable.

You have any suggestions on who I should be contacting and how to get leads. I have a few useful resources I use myself, but I'm always interested in good advice.

Agent_Z

Who would you guys say are the best shippers are to reach out to in regards to general freight. I've been contacting all the beverage companies because as far as liability goes it's a safe commodity, always shipping and margins aren't right but enough to be profitable.

You have any suggestions on who I should be contacting and how to get leads. I have a few useful resources I use myself, but I'm always interested in good advice.
We had another LDi branch office that did all of the regional shipping for Monster Energy in their particular state. I'm not sure how he landed the contract though, I never asked my general manager. I know that guy was apparently making the big bucks. If you have a local bottling company whether it's alcohol or soda, you might call them and ask them if they have any corporate sales contacts.

There is a "Blue Book" or Yellow Pages of sorts for major industries ; there's a website that I can't remember off of the top of my head. It's a nationwide listing of major manufacturers. I'll see if I can find it. There are thousands of listings in it with phone numbers for various industries ; steel, lumber, textiles, etc.

Thread starter #51
We had another LDi branch office that did all of the regional shipping for Monster Energy in their particular state. I'm not sure how he landed the contract though, I never asked my general manager. I know that guy was apparently making the big bucks. If you have a local bottling company whether it's alcohol or soda, you might call them and ask them if they have any corporate sales contacts.

There is a "Blue Book" or Yellow Pages of sorts for major industries ; there's a website that I can't remember off of the top of my head. It's a nationwide listing of major manufacturers. I'll see if I can find it. There are thousands of listings in it with phone numbers for various industries ; steel, lumber, textiles, etc.
Thanks guys very helpful!