NEMF is biting the dust

Mike

Staff member
40 years and done. I wonder what caused their demise, just overall bad management?

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
40 years and done. I wonder what caused their demise, just overall bad management?
Remember a few years back there was a thread on the Forum that said one of the people that ran NEMF stole $5 million? That could have contributed to their demise. I was surprised that NEMF had $5 million in the first Place.
IMHO They always looked like a broke ass company anyway.

Personally, I will be glad to see them go because that purple color is offensive! 👍
SGT or ****ty Green Truck should be next! That Green is even more offensive!:D

nan

Supporter
Remember a few years back there was a thread on the Forum that said one of the people that ran NEMF stole $5 million? That could have contributed to their demise. I was surprised that NEMF had $5 million in the first Place.
IMHO They always looked like a broke ass company anyway.

Personally, I will be glad to see them go because that purple color is offensive! 👍
SGT or ****ty Green Truck should be next! That Green is even more offensive!:D
They had $5 million because they always looked like a broke ass company.

Purple? I thought it was like a red crimson type deal, but then I've never seen a fresh paint job.

Duck

Bumper sticker slogan goes here
Supporter
Yeah you can celebrate their downfall... They just added "supply" to the labor market which is never good for driver wages.

And one of the megas that are already too big are going to gobble them up and grow even bigger. 😡

Anyway here's a photo of a letter they sent to employees. I swiped it from Twisted Truckers on Facebook.

GAnthony

Non-Canadian truck driver
Supporter
it is claimed, wages, benefits, tolls, equipment costs, and a low profit margin.

i had worked for them from spring 1999 to fall 2005, and i can assure you, thier equipment was not first class. they'd run them into the ground, then cannibalized another truck to get it running again. i needed a clamp on my intercooler, simple.....right..??

parts place just over the next yard...

nope, they took one off a clunker, that needed a repair of some sort.

the rear end on my single axle day cab was making noise, and vibrating......they fix it..??? nope, blew out on the day time P&D driver.....

another time, a co-worker needed an a/c fan belt........they took one off another truck in for repairs.

the terminal i worked out of hardly ever saw any new equipment.

the owner (Myron Shevell, aka Mike) liked antique fire trucks.

his daughter Nancy (who is married to former Beatle Paul Mccartney) blasted the office for throwing away manilla envelopes, rather than re-use them for inter office mailings.

she bought her dad an antique fire truck.

he had a son, a dope fiend, o.d.'d.......

kids do not want the business, hell, they are all millionaires, with Nancy being married to Paul Mc Carthy, he's a billionaire.

they ain't too worried about no one.

high rise penthouses in Manhattan, mansions on Long Island.

the only good thing i got from that place was, my experience pulling doubles.

i never looked back, i never went back to chat with former co-workers.

can't say i'm sorry they are folding up, Myron Shevell (the owner) made his billions by letting us have the privilege of operating pee poor equipment, all the while, enjoying his perfectly restored, antique fire truck collection.

Mike

Staff member
it is claimed, wages, benefits, tolls, equipment costs, and a low profit margin.
There could be some truth to this part, and this demise could be seen by others as well both small and large.

wages and benefits are being forced up in the trucking industry, but there is a huge fight on the other side to keep wages down.

Wages and benefits have been increased throughout much of the industry, cost of equipment has significantly increased in recent years, and we are now at a point where rates are lower than they were a year ago. Profit margins in trucking have always been extremely low, so it is obvious that this entire scenario is going to break somewhere for many companies.

I don't think most realize just how close virtually every company out here is to bankruptcy on a daily basis.

With small one truck companies, one major repair can put you out of business. with larger companies that carry payroll, there are multiple things that keep you close to bankruptcy.

Companies need drivers, drivers that are dependable. It's hard to keep them with low wages, especially when it is becoming easier and easier to get decent wage jobs at home. This problem was hidden pretty well last year when rates exploded. Now, you are likely to see many companies facing important decisions if the rate trend doesn't change quickly.

nan

Supporter

i had worked for them from spring 1999 to fall 2005, and i can assure you, thier equipment was not first class. they'd run them into the ground, then cannibalized another truck to get it running again. i needed a clamp on my intercooler, simple.....right..??

parts place just over the next yard...

nope, they took one off a clunker, that needed a repair of some sort.

the rear end on my single axle day cab was making noise, and vibrating......they fix it..??? nope, blew out on the day time P&D driver.....

another time, a co-worker needed an a/c fan belt........they took one off another truck in for repairs.

the terminal i worked out of hardly ever saw any new equipment.

the owner (Myron Shevell, aka Mike) liked antique fire trucks.

his daughter Nancy (who is married to former Beatle Paul Mccartney) blasted the office for throwing away manilla envelopes, rather than re-use them for inter office mailings.

she bought her dad an antique fire truck.

he had a son, a dope fiend, o.d.'d.......

kids do not want the business, hell, they are all millionaires, with Nancy being married to Paul Mc Carthy, he's a billionaire.

they ain't too worried about no one.

high rise penthouses in Manhattan, mansions on Long Island.

the only good thing i got from that place was, my experience pulling doubles.

i never looked back, i never went back to chat with former co-workers.

can't say i'm sorry they are folding up, Myron Shevell (the owner) made his billions by letting us have the privilege of operating pee poor equipment, all the while, enjoying his perfectly restored, antique fire truck collection.
That's because single axle day cabs have no resale value. Gotta keep 'em longer to get your money's worth.

Mike

Staff member
That's because single axle day cabs have no resale value. Gotta keep 'em longer to get your money's worth.
And the problem there is it has become unprofitable to make major repairs such as engine rebuilds/replacements. Freight companies like this used to have engines on standby to put in when one would go down. Now, the have to overpay for a truck that is entirely too costly to rebuild an engine.

GAnthony

Supporter
There could be some truth to this part, and this demise could be seen by others as well both small and large.

wages and benefits are being forced up in the trucking industry, but there is a huge fight on the other side to keep wages down.

Wages and benefits have been increased throughout much of the industry, cost of equipment has significantly increased in recent years, and we are now at a point where rates are lower than they were a year ago. Profit margins in trucking have always been extremely low, so it is obvious that this entire scenario is going to break somewhere for many companies.

I don't think most realize just how close virtually every company out here is to bankruptcy on a daily basis.

With small one truck companies, one major repair can put you out of business. with larger companies that carry payroll, there are multiple things that keep you close to bankruptcy.

Companies need drivers, drivers that are dependable. It's hard to keep them with low wages, especially when it is becoming easier and easier to get decent wage jobs at home. This problem was hidden pretty well last year when rates exploded. Now, you are likely to see many companies facing important decisions if the rate trend doesn't change quickly.
many of the guys (when i was there) knew the lower wages, but kept working as they were guys that just did not jump ship. the union benefits sucked. of course, get a pay raise, and the union dues go up as well. the health benefits would be "shopped around" not at contract time, but YEARLY, which would tick us off to no end.

just a few years ago, when the economy tanked, Mike (Shevell) got "concessions" from the union, to hold back pay raise till things "got better".

there was also changes in the "daily routine" of line haul which back in my day, we were home EVERY morning.

that changed to..."pack a bag".....even for the senior drivers, which i was # 3 on the list, and i gotta start staying out over nights now..??

i don't think so.

GAnthony

Supporter
yes, they had old B Mack day cabs. those were used for CITY drivers....uh like hell...my truck broke down, and here i was, hot, muggy summer night, no a/c, all spring ride, going down to Elizabeth, NJ at 50 mph's......

they would rebuild and rebuild and rebuild all the day cabs so many times.

they were paid for decades earlier, but earning them money, cuz yes, they were cheaper to repair.

GAnthony

Supporter
And the problem there is it has become unprofitable to make major repairs such as engine rebuilds/replacements. Freight companies like this used to have engines on standby to put in when one would go down. Now, the have to overpay for a truck that is entirely too costly to rebuild an engine.
down at Elizabeth, the main terminal, they had stacks of rear ends, engines, transmissions...your truck would get down there, and "fixed"...no guarantee on when it was done, you'd get it back in less than 6 months, cuz the effing jersey guys would jump in them.

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
They had a small cross-dock here in Toronto. I am not sure if they still had it or shut it down years ago.
I have not seen a NEMF truck on this side of the DMZ in a long time.