Neighbor's Dog

2xR

******* Derelict *******
Supporter
Thread starter #21
Sugar, the dog that began this thread is doing fine. We can almost set our clocks by her arrival at the back door. She has begun barking and raising hell if we aren't out there, with the grub, right away.

A few evenings ago, she brought a friend. A male Pit Bull who is people oriented and seems friendly. We're calling him "Studley" 'cause we know where this is going. There will be puppies. The question burning in our minds is, where is she gonna' drop 'em? Hopefully, at her other home.

Duck

Quack
Supporter
A stray animal will choose a place it feels is safe to birth it's pups. It will also be close to it's most reliable food supply, so she doesn't have to leave her babies un-protected for very long when she sneaks off to go eat.
The puppies won't be on the porch or in some wide open area. She'll likely find some little hiding spot. I'd get a dog house or something, and set it up so the door is facing the side of the house or something so the dog thinks it's a "secret" hiding spot. Put some old blankets in there, and put her food & water bowls by the dog house. The dog will probably whelp it's puppies in the dog house. When the puppies are dry and mama has licked them clean, you'll have to get a cardboard box to temporarily keep the puppies in for a few minutes while you replace the old blankets with ones that aren't soaked in amniotic fluid. Then put them back.
But if the mama dog isn't completely trusting of you, she might not let you get too close to her babies.

My dog had her 1/2 pit bull pups in the cardboard box in the basement that our artificial Christmas tree came in. The amniotic fluid dissolved the cardboard and the pups started wiggling around before they could walk, and mama kept having to get up and bring them back. So I moved them into this big plastic feeder tub thing. The dog was watching me intently when I was moving the pups, but she seemed to understand why I was doing that. I put a steel folding chair next to the tub so the mama could jump up on the chair and look inside before jumping into the tub so she could do it without landing on her babies.

View attachment 13064

View attachment 13065

View attachment 13066
View attachment 13064 View attachment 13065 View attachment 13066

patriciajnsn

Steering Wheel Holder
So Sugar is taking advantage of your generousity huh,LOL.
Sugar, the dog that began this thread is doing fine. We can almost set our clocks by her arrival at the back door. She has begun barking and raising hell if we aren't out there, with the grub, right away.

A few evenings ago, she brought a friend. A male Pit Bull who is people oriented and seems friendly. We're calling him "Studley" 'cause we know where this is going. There will be puppies. The question burning in our minds is, where is she gonna' drop 'em? Hopefully, at her other home.

patriciajnsn

Steering Wheel Holder
I commend you for taking those dogs in.Some would just dump em wherever and left to fend for themselves.
I took in a stray dog once, then another. They had puppies. After nine months or so, the puppies started having puppies. I had over 50 dogs at one time. I managed to place all but nine of them. Those nine I still have. I have given up on trying to place them at this point. They are five and four years old. No one wants them. One female rides with me in the truck. The others stay at home.

I now advocate neutering your puppies as soon as possible. I has been a nightmare.

terrylamar

I became a pretty good midwife to assisting in puppy births. The first, must have been at eight months or so had a single puppy. The rest had the usual 10. Of course, not all surivived. Especially, when I wasn't there to assist. You wouldn't believe the variety of colors and ear shape and personalities out of a German Shepard and American Stafforshire Terrier mix. I still miss some of those puppies. They were characters.

Duck

Quack
Supporter
and they appear to be on MY old couch seriously I had that same couch set back in ahhhhhh 1986 it was new......it raised 3 kids and lots of dogs and a couple of cats.....
That was part of a 4 piece set I got from Goodwill for $40 about 12 years ago. A chair, couch, and two loveseats, all matching and in perfect shape. I got them for the garage, where the animals would hang out. The dog and cat would sometimes hang out in there too.

That was part of a 4 piece set I got from Goodwill for $40 about 12 years ago. A chair, couch, and two loveseats, all matching and in perfect shape. I got them for the garage, where the animals would hang out. The dog and cat would sometimes hang out in there too.
hmmmm what did I do with that set now that I think of it...oh yea it moved to never never land....(shudder the basement) then eventually to the fence row to be burned......wait we bought that back before baby # 3 that was ahhhhhhh abt 1983.....