Need Some Guidance: NO CALLS FROM POSTED LEADS ON LOAD BOARD

Hello all, I hope everyone is having a wonderful week so far.

I work for a small freight brokering agency. The owner does fairly well and has hired me to put loads on Landstar's load board. The problem I'm getting is, nobody inquires about the loads. Everyone who does, either asks ridiculous amounts or asks to load them on a different day. Regardless, the loads sit there on the board all day and it feels like I'm just collecting pay without being an asset to the company. How can I be more proactive to get sales?

Do I need to get loads a certain amount of days in advance? Do I need to double check the posts to make sure my prices aren't being one-upped by other agencies? Im fairly new at this, so I have a very basic understanding. Any help is appreciated as I want to help my boss get more real-deal clients (he only has 1 right now) so that he can succeed and I can eventually move from PT to FT + commission.

Agent_Z

So, you're basically doing the glorified data entry part of the brokerage and, you're upset that the sales agent you work for isn't moving loads?

If shippers post their loads with 5 or 10 other brokerages it creates steep competition. I've made this same rant 100+ times already over the past year, and I'm not going through it again.

There is always that one broker that lists the price on the load board... Always... It's like sitting down at a poker table and just showing everyone the hand you're trying to play.

Your boss is better off trying to get freight that is brokered exclusively through his office rather than fighting for table scraps. Landstar is no better than TQL or CH a lot of times, and they don't leave much room for profit. God help if you if you guys are double-brokering, (I hope not, but if you are) because you're fighting for pennies at that point.

tommyh

I get a lot of emails daily listing loads from brokers,along with quite a few phone calls
why don`t you build a email list,send it out several times daily,it can`t hurt
if they won`t come to you,go to them

Agent_Z

I get a lot of emails daily listing loads from brokers,along with quite a few phone calls
Some pretentious sales "professional" would read that and ream you and then go on some long rant about why sending load lists via email is a bad idea, and an especially bad idea if that load list provides prices.

I would tell this guy that if he is going to do a mailing list, make sure that it's a list that is small enough for him to call back within an hour. Follow up calls are important, especially if they're going to a dispatch office, because let's face it: dispatchers get paid hourly and don't always give two ****s.

Agent_Z

Also, when guys call in and ask outrageous prices, they're just fishing for information. I always confronted them about the irrationality of asking for such a high price, and then asked them why they felt they should be paid so much. I don't know if Landstar's board provide spot rates, but DAT does. And while it's not always 100% accurate, when someone is asking 20 or 30% higher than what the weekly spot rates are, it's usually just a troll call. NEVER turn around and offer them a number after they ask for 20 or 30% + than what you've got to work with. Always BS with the caller for a minute, figure out their intentions, and then give them your bottom dollar price so you can begin negotiating. If you think it is just a fishing call, blow them off. I hung up on a lot of these calls outright, or just told them to call me back when they were ready to negotiate reasonably instead of demanding outrageous prices. These calls waste so much time throughout the day, and you'll get them a lot. --- Then again, a lot of times my office had the cheapest freight in town. So I had no negotiating power to begin with. (There's another rant I've made 100 times.)

EDIT:

If it's a DISPATCHER asking for an irrational price, you're most likely dealing with a dispatch service.
Dispatch services take a cut of the load, usually between 5 & 10%.
If it's a DRIVER asking for an irrational price, you're dealing with a joker. Feel him or her out.

Never give the dispatcher asking for irrational or stupid high prices off of the bat any of your time. Hang up on them. A call that usually ends with negotiating is a call that begins with the caller asking for your (starting) price after they shoot you the load information. They know the game. If the caller wants to play the negotiating game, that's great. If they just want to waste time, hang up.

It's all easier said than done.

Last edited:

Mike

Staff member
D dudrwi

First off, welcome to the forum.

As for not getting calls, and driver wanting ridiculous rates, can you post some examples of the rates you are offering up? Won’t take long at all to compare your rates to the recent market averages to see if you are in the ballpark of what freight is moving for in those specific lanes.

Also, are you able to post loads to other load boards, or just Landstar?

Agent_Z

D dudrwi

As for not getting calls, and driver wanting ridiculous rates, can you post some examples of the rates you are offering up? Won’t take long at all to compare your rates to the recent market averages to see if you are in the ballpark of what freight is moving for in those specific lanes.

Oh gosh, you just had to ask -that- question. I hope he's ready for constructive criticism, because the Trucker's Forum jury will gladly tell him if his freight is "cheap" or not. --- I guarantee it.

Mike

Staff member
Oh gosh, you just had to ask -that- question. I hope he's ready for constructive criticism, because the Trucker's Forum jury will gladly tell him if his freight is "cheap" or not. --- I guarantee it.
Member wants some real help, just trying to provide it.

Thank you, this is actually really helpful, I get the basic gist of building an email list and all that, but do you think you can give me some more ideas? Landstar has this "Match Trucks" where you can call trucks and ask if they want to pick up loads (I haven't called trucks yet). I guess I could ask them for their best email and number so I can hit them up again if a load is within their radius. But other than that, that's all I can think of.

Some pretentious sales "professional" would read that and ream you and then go on some long rant about why sending load lists via email is a bad idea, and an especially bad idea if that load list provides prices.

I would tell this guy that if he is going to do a mailing list, make sure that it's a list that is small enough for him to call back within an hour. Follow up calls are important, especially if they're going to a dispatch office, because let's face it: dispatchers get paid hourly and don't always give two ****s.
Good to know. I also like your other comment about the pricing. I'm getting a lot of useful information. Thank you!

D dudrwi

Thank you for the welcome. I personally am just doing Landstar, no other load boards as of right now. My boss deals with his main client right now and he uses another load board in addition to Landstar (don't remember the name). I thought about expanding to more load boards but I want to start getting hot leads before I get that far. I will attach examples of loads that are on the board right now.

INFO ABOUT ATTACHED IMAGES:

Decatur GA to Odessa TX is 42,000lbs of Hazmat chemicals ($2.07 a mile)
Billings MT to Pasco WA is 38,000 of Hazmat chemicals ($2.09 a mile)
Norfolk VA to Helena AL is 42,000 of Non-Hazmat chemicals ($1.80 a mile)

I really appreciate everyone's help and please give me as much criticism as possible. Like I said, I want this company to grow, and I along with it. If it doesn't, I'm going to have a hard time paying bills.

Attachments

Mike

Staff member
Thank you, this is actually really helpful, I get the basic gist of building an email list and all that, but do you think you can give me some more ideas? Landstar has this "Match Trucks" where you can call trucks and ask if they want to pick up loads (I haven't called trucks yet). I guess I could ask them for their best email and number so I can hit them up again if a load is within their radius. But other than that, that's all I can think of.

Good to know. I also like your other comment about the pricing. I'm getting a lot of useful information. Thank you!

Thank you for the welcome. I personally am just doing Landstar, no other load boards as of right now. My boss deals with his main client right now and he uses another load board in addition to Landstar (don't remember the name). I thought about expanding to more load boards but I want to start getting hot leads before I get that far. I will attach examples of loads that are on the board right now.

INFO ABOUT ATTACHED IMAGES:

Decatur GA to Odessa TX is 42,000lbs of Hazmat chemicals ($2.07 a mile)
Billings MT to Pasco WA is 38,000 of Hazmat chemicals ($2.09 a mile)
Norfolk VA to Helena AL is 42,000 of Non-Hazmat chemicals ($1.80 a mile)

I really appreciate everyone's help and please give me as much criticism as possible. Like I said, I want this company to grow, and I along with it. If it doesn't, I'm going to have a hard time paying bills.
Decatur, GA to Odessa: average rate is $2711, high as $2950. (your posting it for $2350) Being a weekend run, and a day sitting on the load, I would be looking for $3,000 if I was going to sit on it for a day at home and if it was NOT HAZMAT, higher if I was going to be out on the road with it the entire time. Hazmat would increase the price for me.

Billings, MT to Pasco, WA, average rate is at $1600 (your posting it for $1400). Not far off, but a bad rate unless somebody wants it to go home and can afford to sit on it for quite a while. Being HAZMAT, I would be looking for significantly more money.

Norfolk, VA to Helena, AL, average is $1397, you are right there at $1300. Again, a weekend run that many are going to require more money on unless they are taking it for the purpose of sitting on it over the weekend at home.

These are the average rates on the DAT load board (15 day averages). No idea how these numbers compare to the average numbers that go up on Landstar's board.

Decatur, GA to Odessa: average rate is $2711, high as $2950. (your posting it for $2350) Being a weekend run, and a day sitting on the load, I would be looking for $3,000 if I was going to sit on it for a day at home and if it was NOT HAZMAT, higher if I was going to be out on the road with it the entire time. Hazmat would increase the price for me.

Billings, MT to Pasco, WA, average rate is at $1600 (your posting it for $1400). Not far off, but a bad rate unless somebody wants it to go home and can afford to sit on it for quite a while. Being HAZMAT, I would be looking for significantly more money.

Norfolk, VA to Helena, AL, average is $1397, you are right there at $1300. Again, a weekend run that many are going to require more money on unless they are taking it for the purpose of sitting on it over the weekend at home.

These are the average rates on the DAT load board (15 day averages). No idea how these numbers compare to the average numbers that go up on Landstar's board.
This is actually super helpful, I've never been a trucker so I don't understand that part of the transaction. My boss used to be, but he doesn't really give me their perspective so much. So its good to keep their perspective in mind. It's just hard knowing exactly what Landstar will allow the maximum payout to be. Also, what is the DAT load board? And do those 15, 30, etc day averages really truly matter? Landstar's pricing tool has that included I just never really paid much attention to it.

Mike

Staff member
DAT and ITS are the two largest load boards out there.

The 15 day averages matter, as it tells you what loads are currently going for. With DAT, the 15 day average is the actual average of loads being factored through the factoring company that they are set up with.

Agent_Z

This is actually super helpful, I've never been a trucker so I don't understand that part of the transaction. My boss used to be, but he doesn't really give me their perspective so much. So its good to keep their perspective in mind. It's just hard knowing exactly what Landstar will allow the maximum payout to be. Also, what is the DAT load board? And do those 15, 30, etc day averages really truly matter? Landstar's pricing tool has that included I just never really paid much attention to it.
Hang around here long enough and you'll start to learn how these animals think. I was never a trucker either. I did small package delivery and medical courier work before I gave the brokerage a shot. We had a woman that did exactly what you're doing in the last office that I worked in. Your job is crucial, don't ever think that it isn't.

The pricing comes with experience, and there's plenty of lanes to learn. (I still know Colorado rates by heart.)

Agent_Z

To add to what Mike said:

Odessa is in the middle of BFE Texas, and there's not a lot of freight that comes out of either Midland or Odessa, especially for flatbeds (I know this one from experience), and it's a long drive back to DFW, which can sometimes be hit or miss. The people that take these loads for $2 / mile or less coming out of Odessa are desperate.

The idea is to get $3 + per mile going in to Odessa to compensate for the long drive back to civilization. --- Someone will make the "but every load is a head haul load." --- You'd need $2.20 - $2.40 a mile to get someone to jump on it. Else the load will sit for a few weeks until some sucker calls you in desperation. There's some moron out there right now that might do it for $1.80, but you've got to find him, and he might call you the following day with some sob story about a turbo blowing up, or some of kind of engine failure. ~ ~

Last edited:

Ranger_375

For your rates, I second Mike's statements about those loads, especially Hazmat and over-the-weekend loads to boot, being low. Hazmat adds a premium due to the additional certification (with recurring training/security requirement) as well as additional insurance.

Every single day a load is on a truck is a day that anyone prudent is going to make you pay for. The reason for this is because every second that cargo is on my equipment is a second that I am fiscally responsible and liable for that cargo's safety, security, and condition. If you want to increase my level of responsibility by 24 hours, especially considering that I could be delivering said cargo and reloading with another paying cargo? Guess what, you're going to pay or you're going to take it off my hands when I arrive.