Ketogenic Diet Monitoring your carb intake

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
The key point of a keto diet is staying in "ketosis" - the state where you burn fat instead of sugar for energy. Mike Mike already mentioned the dietary particulars for fats, proteins and carbs. Regulating your carb intake is the key to this.

It turns out the Atkins diet is almost Ketogenic. Their problem is stating that you can eat all the protein that you want to. Excess protein in the diet does get converted into glucose, so you have to watch that. But they regulate carbs on the Atkins diet as well. Using an Atkins Carb Tracker, or any carb tracker, is the easiest way of keeping track of your carb intake. There's plenty of apps in the Google or Apple App store that can help you with this. Keeping your carb intake under control is more difficult than it sounds, because "grams of carbs" are not labeled on lettuce leaves and what a steak dinner at the Texas Roadhouse will do to your diet isn't readily discernable.

The best key words to use to find what you're looking for is "carb tracker." An app that allows you to track the foods you eat, and converts that into grams of fat, protein and carbs consumed each day is what you're looking for.

GAnthony

Methuselah
Supporter
The key point of a keto diet is staying in "ketosis" - the state where you burn fat instead of sugar for energy. Mike Mike already mentioned the dietary particulars for fats, proteins and carbs. Regulating your carb intake is the key to this.

It turns out the Atkins diet is almost Ketogenic. Their problem is stating that you can eat all the protein that you want to. Excess protein in the diet does get converted into glucose, so you have to watch that. But they regulate carbs on the Atkins diet as well. Using an Atkins Carb Tracker, or any carb tracker, is the easiest way of keeping track of your carb intake. There's plenty of apps in the Google or Apple App store that can help you with this. Keeping your carb intake under control is more difficult than it sounds, because "grams of carbs" are not labeled on lettuce leaves and what a steak dinner at the Texas Roadhouse will do to your diet isn't readily discernable.

The best key words to use to find what you're looking for is "carb tracker." An app that allows you to track the foods you eat, and converts that into grams of fat, protein and carbs consumed each day is what you're looking for.
i thought that i had read that a diet high in fish was what a keto diet is..if so, i cannot do that on a daily basis.

i just watch how much carbs i take in, and switched from white bread to wheat.

Mike

Staff member
I don’t use one, but my wife and one of my daughters are using one they really like. Most foods, they just scan the barcode and it tracks based on servings they enter from their meals.

I used pen and paper (and google) in the beginning. Being in the truck, my meals are very similar day to day, so keeping my numbers correct is really easy.

Mike

Staff member
thought that i had read that a diet high in fish was what a keto diet is..if so, i cannot do that on a daily basis.
No, it is not based on the consumption of any specific food. As you can see in the thread I stuck in this forum, it is merely high fat, moderate protein, and low carb.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
I don’t use one, but my wife and one of my daughters are using one they really like. Most foods, they just scan the barcode and it tracks based on servings they enter from their meals.

I used pen and paper (and google) in the beginning. Being in the truck, my meals are very similar day to day, so keeping my numbers correct is really easy.
That's what I assumed too, but its easy to get off track without keeping an eye on it.

r3gulator3

FLATBED GANGSTER
Supporter
I monitor my carb intake, I see it come to my mouth every time I take a bite. 😂

All seriousness. How do y’all do it? Buy fresh stuff like every 4-5 days? I can’t get bag lettuce to last longer than that, or celery, carrots will last a 2 week run, but the shopping I do to last two weeks consists of a lot of microwave and canned food. I eat for 85$ or less for 2 weeks. Can you do that doing the diets your speaking of here?

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
I monitor my carb intake, I see it come to my mouth every time I take a bite. 😂

All seriousness. How do y’all do it? Buy fresh stuff like every 4-5 days? I can’t get bag lettuce to last longer than that, or celery, carrots will last a 2 week run, but the shopping I do to last two weeks consists of a lot of microwave and canned food. I eat for 85$ or less for 2 weeks. Can you do that doing the diets your speaking of here?
I stop at a Wal-Mart every few days, and stock up. One of the plusses on this diet is that your craving for big meals vanishes.

Breakfast for me usually is a large bullet-proof coffee (Google it) and sometimes a hard boiled egg. I make mine from a 24-oz coffee, 2 tbsp butter (fat) and 4 tbsp heavy whipping cream (fat and protein.) Truck stops carry hard boiled eggs. Variety... 3 eggs over medium, side of bacon, side of sliced tomatoes with mayo, black coffee. An omelette and black coffee. No potatoes or toast.

Lunch is a fatty meat with a shot of mayo (fat), cheese (fat and protein) dill pickle spear. Sometimes I wrap lunchmeat up in a romaine lettuce leaf. Canned tuna and mayo on romaine lettuce - that shoots my protein intake way up though. Variety in a hurry: double bacon cheese burger, ditch the bun. 6" Subway with veggies, extra lettuce and extra mayo - ditch the bread, and put the remaining contents in a bowl.

Snacks... A handful of raw almonds - good fat content.

Supper... 6 oz or so of steak, pork chop, fish. Steaks cut thin, and sold as a pair work well... they're around that weight per each. That grill I mentioned is great for that and a serving of grilled veggies. Maybe a small salad - oil and vinegar for dressing. When its cold out, too hot, I cook in the truck in a electric skillet. Fish steamed in the microwave with veggies. Grab a roasted chicken at Wal-Mart if you don't feel like cooking. PJFresh sells half roasted chickens in the afternoon.

Use the carb tracker to figure out serving sizes.

When it gets cooler, I use a crock pot.

Think about what you like to eat, then Google it with "keto" to get a recipe.

Prepared foods: start reading the nutrition labels. Under "total carbs" there is a heading for "sugars." That needs to be as close to zero as possible. Fiber content is better, but it all counts toward that 20g limit (or whatever you set for yourself.) One thing you're going to find out is that in prepared foods there is usually a healthy slug of sugar in every portion. There's a reason for this: sugar is addictive.

So a lot of days I'm low on the carbs. :biggrin-2: I like chocolate! Bittersweet baking chocolate has very low sugar content, and a square is usually within a 20g of carbs per day limit.

:biggrin-2::thumbsup:

Last edited:

Mike

Staff member
Are we at all concerned about cholesterol?
Nope, not at all.

There has been a ton of bad information out for a long time, bad information that has made people more and more unhealthy every decade.

Finally, even the Government has had to back off of the theory that eating foods with cholesterol has anything to do with the cholesterol in your body. It literally has no effect.

Not to mention, the numbers that determine if you have cholesterol problems is sketchy, at best. There are three numbers that are very open ended. A good number, a bad number (even though some in this category are actually good), and another number that they aren't sure about. They add all three numbers to get your cholesterol number. Think about it and you will see it makes little sense.

The cholesterol in your body is what your body produces. Find our why it produces it, and you will take care of the problem if yours is high. Usually, it is because your body is fighting inflammation.

Mike

Staff member
I eat for 85$ or less for 2 weeks. Can you do that doing the diets your speaking of here?
Yes.

This week, I bought a cooked chicken from Walmart, $5.00. Took part of it with me, the rest stayed at home. Also bought a couple grass fed ribeyes, 8 oz each. Less than $16.00 for the both of them, and I only eat half of one with a meal. Green vegetables (this week, I took broccoli ,all precooked at home) Another $5-6.00.

$15 for a container of mixed nuts from Sams, this lasts me more than two weeks.

<$1.00 for a half dozen eggs. I bought a half dozen container, just refill from home. I don't eat eggs everyday.

Spinach - We buy a big container of it for home, I take some and put it in a ziploc bag to carry with me. (I cook it with my eggs).

$5.00 Almond milk (because I like to take a drink of it a couple times a day. This will last me a couple weeks.

Sardines/Tuna - Eat this for dinner occasionally. Couple bucks for a can of sardines, you can get the packages of Tuna for a dollar on sale, $1.25 not on sale.

Salami ($7.00/lb at the Walmart Deli). I usually get a 1/2 pound.

Block of cheese ($5.00). lasts me at least two weeks.

I cook the green veggies at home because it is just easier. Buy a big bag, cook it all, and then place it in sandwich bags to portion it out properly.

Mayo - I make my own. Costs me an egg and a cup of avacado or olive oil.

Out of all that food I listed (I left the house on Monday morning), I am bringing all of the chicken back home. Only ate one of the steaks (unless I cook it for lunch tomorrow). Haven't eaten any of the tuna or sardines, and haven't touched the eggs or spinach.

--------------------------------------
My eating this week (as I have totally adjusted to keto at this point). This is a typical day

2 10 oz cups of BulletProof coffee. Linked to my recipe. Nothing else until mid afternoon. (60 grams of fat from the coffee each day)

Couple slices of salami (basically 2 oz), and a 1 oz piece of cheese.

1 serving of nuts (8 carbs here, and this was my downfall in the beginning).

4 oz serving of meat and some green veggies for supper (and a big gulp of almond milk before bed).

1/2, maybe a whole avocado. Didn't eat one at all today, wasn't hungry.

Was I eating this little in the beginning? nope. Am I limiting myself to this amount of food? nope. If I am hungry, I eat.

I also supplement everyday. I add 1-2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar, and a capful of "Lyte Balance" to a bottle of water. The Lyte Balance is electrolytes like you get in gatorade, but that little capful is equivalent to 2-3 bottles of gatorade.

Ontario Outlaw

Hozer Witta Hood
Supporter
Yes.

This week, I bought a cooked chicken from Walmart, $5.00. Took part of it with me, the rest stayed at home. Also bought a couple grass fed ribeyes, 8 oz each. Less than $16.00 for the both of them, and I only eat half of one with a meal. Green vegetables (this week, I took broccoli ,all precooked at home) Another $5-6.00.

$15 for a container of mixed nuts from Sams, this lasts me more than two weeks.

<$1.00 for a half dozen eggs. I bought a half dozen container, just refill from home. I don't eat eggs everyday.

Spinach - We buy a big container of it for home, I take some and put it in a ziploc bag to carry with me. (I cook it with my eggs).

$5.00 Almond milk (because I like to take a drink of it a couple times a day. This will last me a couple weeks.

Sardines/Tuna - Eat this for dinner occasionally. Couple bucks for a can of sardines, you can get the packages of Tuna for a dollar on sale, $1.25 not on sale.

Salami ($7.00/lb at the Walmart Deli). I usually get a 1/2 pound.

Block of cheese ($5.00). lasts me at least two weeks.

I cook the green veggies at home because it is just easier. Buy a big bag, cook it all, and then place it in sandwich bags to portion it out properly.

Mayo - I make my own. Costs me an egg and a cup of avacado or olive oil.

Out of all that food I listed (I left the house on Monday morning), I am bringing all of the chicken back home. Only ate one of the steaks (unless I cook it for lunch tomorrow). Haven't eaten any of the tuna or sardines, and haven't touched the eggs or spinach.

--------------------------------------
My eating this week (as I have totally adjusted to keto at this point). This is a typical day

2 10 oz cups of BulletProof coffee. Linked to my recipe. Nothing else until mid afternoon. (60 grams of fat from the coffee each day)

Couple slices of salami (basically 2 oz), and a 1 oz piece of cheese.

1 serving of nuts (8 carbs here, and this was my downfall in the beginning).

4 oz serving of meat and some green veggies for supper (and a big gulp of almond milk before bed).

1/2, maybe a whole avocado. Didn't eat one at all today, wasn't hungry.

Was I eating this little in the beginning? nope. Am I limiting myself to this amount of food? nope. If I am hungry, I eat.

I also supplement everyday. I add 1-2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar, and a capful of "Lyte Balance" to a bottle of water. The Lyte Balance is electrolytes like you get in gatorade, but that little capful is equivalent to 2-3 bottles of gatorade.
Spinach and eggs?! :stare1:

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
I do a regen everyday where I spaz out and refuse to do anything or I will derate and shut down until I expel all carbs;)