Mirror Vibration

Papaw

I have a 2018 W900l and the Mirrors are constantly vibrating at highway speeds. Has anyone else experienced this problem and if so is there a fix for it?

GAnthony

Supporter
I have a 2018 W900l and the Mirrors are constantly vibrating at highway speeds. Has anyone else experienced this problem and if so is there a fix for it?
could it be possible that the steers are out of balance..???

Papaw

No Sir, the steer axle and tires are fine and i don't feel anything through the steering wheel. The truck has less than 7,000 miles on it.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
No Sir, the steer axle and tires are fine and i don't feel anything through the steering wheel. The truck has less than 7,000 miles on it.
Doesn't mean that they got everything right. They give assembly techs about 5 minutes to get alignment "good enough." That's usually what causes mirrors to vibrate.

Casacadias have been coming off the assembly line with a big toe-in error this year. Do you get by Kansas City MO much?

Alignment Solutions

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
That is a bit different. KW mirrors are not door mounted so they usually have less vibration. They are the old school mirrors, so I would try tightening or loosening the mounting hardware until you find a sweet spot.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
That is a bit different. KW mirrors are not door mounted so they usually have less vibration. They are the old school mirrors, so I would try tightening or loosening the mounting hardware until you find a sweet spot.
Don't matter. All new trucks should have the alignment checked. Just how good do you think that 5 minute alignment is with a jerk supervisor berating the guy to hurry up really is?

Mike

Staff member
At about 5k on a new truck, it needs to be taken in for an alignment.

Thank would be the first thing I did, then see if the problem is still there.

GAnthony

Supporter
At about 5k on a new truck, it needs to be taken in for an alignment.

Thank would be the first thing I did, then see if the problem is still there.
i'd also have the tires checked for balance. a weight could have fallen off, could be a slight high spot, etc,etc.\

in fact, wouldn;t "adjustments" be a warranty issue?

Papaw

Thanks for the suggestions, The Kenworth dealer has already sent the truck to the Frame shop for alignment and the tire shop for wheel/tire balancing and it has'nt seem to make a difference. i have tightened all the bolts on the Mirrors and the brackets, maybe i have them to tight?

Just scratching my head right now, didn't expect any problems like this with a new truck!

GAnthony

Supporter
Thanks for the suggestions, The Kenworth dealer has already sent the truck to the Frame shop for alignment and the tire shop for wheel/tire balancing and it has'nt seem to make a difference. i have tightened all the bolts on the Mirrors and the brackets, maybe i have them to tight?

Just scratching my head right now, didn't expect any problems like this with a new truck!
well, it is afterall, American built..

Mike

Staff member
i'd also have the tires checked for balance. a weight could have fallen off, could be a slight high spot, etc,etc.\

in fact, wouldn;t "adjustments" be a warranty issue?
Nope, not warranty that I know of. Wouldn't let the dealer align it anyway.

Virtually every truck needs to be aligned after about 5k miles or so once it leaves the lot. 99% will show to be out of alignment, many severely.

dchawk81

Virtually every truck needs to be aligned after about 5k miles or so once it leaves the lot. 99% will show to be out of alignment, many severely.
Heck virtually every truck needs to be aligned after leaving Amazon's Hazleton driveway. 🤔

GAnthony

Supporter

ok, well i worked in at least 2 GM dealerships, adjustments like alignments were under warranty for the first 12 months, after that, the customer paid.

my toyota, everytime i take it in for service, they drive it thru an alignment check machine. free for the first 12 months as well.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
ok, well i worked in at least 2 GM dealerships, adjustments like alignments were under warranty for the first 12 months, after that, the customer paid.

my toyota, everytime i take it in for service, they drive it thru an alignment check machine. free for the first 12 months as well.
You ain't been drivin' big trucks very long, have ya rookie?

:rolllaugh3:

DC1

Friend of mine had the same problem on a new T800, took it to the dealer in Sacramento. The service manager knew exactly what she was talking about- changed motor mounts (under warranty) and problem solved. Appearently there are 2 or 3 different durometers of mounts and if you get the hardest ones the mirrors will vibrate. Hope this helps.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
I'd personally have it verified, along with a print out copy of the actual procedure used and confirmation of the type of wheel bearings you have.

And make sure they are tightened and adjusted accordingly.

7 shops swore mine were done correctly. I finally got pissed enough with the vibration after 4 years I actually did it myself according to the manufacturer of the hubs instructions. The vibration finally disappeared.

Had to actually buy a 100-600 lb ft torque wrench to do it correctly.