Trucking News: Mega Carrier Celadon Group to File Bankruptcy, Cease Operations

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
ok, i cannot recall what cards i have had over the years. i cannot recall if any were pre-paid or just like charge cards..for a few years now, we get onsite fueling so no fuel card so to speak, but a credit card for oil or Coolant, or DEF if we need it on the road. (and that has a $50.00 limit.....) but our fueling supplier has those as well. So does the Penske shop, where we get that stuff for free.
The card we had through NASTC last year, and our current COMDATA card both have to be prefunded.

GAnthony

Methuselah
Supporter
The card we had through NASTC last year, and our current COMDATA card both have to be prefunded.
well i suppose then, any fueling cards i have had in the past were pre-paid. i do recall some sort of cash price when i used one of them, but it was a credit card looking piece of plastic.

but now, we have an ordinary credit card, Visa, with that limit of $50.00

Fins

You can't fill the filters for $50. My corporate M/C has a $10k limit on it. The only thing I can't charge is the Michelin National Account. I'm an O/O without the bills and I run the operation like I pay the bills.

GAnthony

Methuselah
Supporter
You can't fill the filters for $50. My corporate M/C has a $10k limit on it. The only thing I can't charge is the Michelin National Account. I'm an O/O without the bills and I run the operation like I pay the bills.
we still have no idea however, as to any limits the Celadon fuel cards have. i'd only be guessing at about $100 to get them closer to a terminal to drop off the trucks, not a full blown open credit for filling up the tanks and going directly to thier houses.

maybe someone that is still working for Celadon can tell us.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
I can also assure people, not every fuel card program has to be prepaid.

I've never had to prepay my fuel cards. Even when I had 4 trucks on the road.

Mike

Staff member
Whether they are prepaying or not really doesn’t matter. What matters is efforts are being made to get the trucks returned and not left all over the country.

As for the drivers, I hope they planned for this as every driver should. Any truck driver can be left, at any time, needing to find a way home. Plan for it.

GAnthony

Methuselah
Supporter
Whether they are prepaying or not really doesn’t matter. What matters is efforts are being made to get the trucks returned and not left all over the country.

As for the drivers, I hope they planned for this as every driver should. Any truck driver can be left, at any time, needing to find a way home. Plan for it.
which is somewhat troublesome, when quite a few do not carry a credit card with them. too many stories of drivers needed a way home and no financial means to do so.

Mike

Staff member
which is somewhat troublesome, when quite a few do not carry a credit card with them. too many stories of drivers needed a way home and no financial means to do so.
And this is why I emphasize it every time a story is out here like this. Same with stories about drivers dying out here on the road and no means to get the body back home. All drivers need to plan for this sort of thing.

Mike

Staff member
As for the Celadon situation, are they shutting down, or is this just a hiccup as they restructure? Getting mixed information at this point.

Mike

Staff member
Another thing to watch will be to see what happens with lease purchase drivers. Do the lease trucks go through the main company, or all through a separate company?

Duck

Nose-Man
Supporter
I'd rent a car. That way I can bring all my stuff with me, go directly home, stop when I need to, and more importantly, NOT stop when I don't need to.

Lots of drivers have guns too. You can't fly with guns unless you jump through hoops and then the government knows you have it.

A whole carrier goes down like this and you can almost bank on being able to split the rental costs and gas with someone who lives near you too.

r3gulator3

IMA KEEP IT REDNECK
Supporter
Another thing to watch will be to see what happens with lease purchase drivers. Do the lease trucks go through the main company, or all through a separate company?
I know the article said it’s unsure if chapter 11. I dunno though. If their penalties and tax misinformation cost them enough it could be all over.

Nomad1

Forum
Supporter
I talked to a Celadon driver last night that has been with them for years. He has a delivery Monday. They asked him to deliver it and promised to give him more updates on Monday. They have had many office workers jump ship because he claimed to have been contacted by 6 different companies offering him a job. He hasn't applied for any jobs. He is a friends father in law. I saw a picture of a message telling drivers that trucks are not being repossessed. Not to turn the truck over to anybody.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
Seems like a fairly upstanding company that just got f'ed by criminals in a slim margin business.

Way better than Arrow.
They've been on life support for awhile. Why do you think the crooks running it decided to start pumping money out? Swindles like this take years to mature.

These guys just didn't have the juice to keep the prosecutors off their backs, like another particular crime family.

Last edited:

GAnthony

Methuselah
Supporter
not only that, but what will happen to those L/O's..?? will it ding thier credit for turning in the trucks before lease end? will they still have to pay the lease even if the trucks are seized?