MAX

Cargo Commando

Forget a cat or dog...have a skunk and thank me later.

Injun

Rabid Squaw
Staff member
Supporter
Skunks make awesome pets after removal of the musk gland. They can be litter box trained, they'll follow you around like a dog, they actually have a sense of humor and their fur is sooooo soft. I'm jealous.

Pics?

Cargo Commando

Just had a major battle w/ Max in trimming his nails and applying Advantage. If he was in his natural environment he would not need a trimming, and the only reason he's treated for fleas is because of hotels. He was flea free until I got an infested room. Now he stays in the truck...Still - do yourself a favor - if ya want a perfect pet get a skunk. No noise, no smell, little shedding and plenty of personality. Oh, and from the security standpoint I havent had to point his business end at anyone...yet.

Just out of curiosity, how do you come across a skunk to be a pet? Last time I checked they aren't up for adoption at any local pet store. I mean do you capture one in the wild or is there some obscure skunk breeder out there? I have heard before that skunks make excellent pets but the only time i see a skunk is roadkill on the side of the road that gags you out of the truck for about a mile.

Cargo Commando

Skunks are available online in a few states but most states make it very prohibitive to own one. I got Max in Ohio. His previous owner wasn't able to keep him and he's considered a "rescue skunk". If your interested in getting one be sure to research the proper care of him and legality for the state your in. My state says no, but f'em - what they don't know isn't hurting them. I know of a breeder out of Shepard, Mi that is allowed to sell to out of state customers but not to Michiganders. Ideally, you'll want to get your kit as young as possible so he bonds with you. And yes, the scent gland is removed before he's purchased. Just don't allow others to handle him because if he bites and it gets reported the authorities will immediately put him down to check for rabies (there are no rabies vaccines available for skunks).

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
Cute! I bet you get a lot of people asking a lot of questions when you take him for a walk!

Cargo Commando

I'm trying to slide under the radar w/ Max as he's not legal in most states, so he doesn't get out much. I do have my box set up for him to play in when I'm not under load - 192 sq ft just for him. I'd like to think hes a happy skunk...

Duck

Quack
Supporter
My dad's dog killed a skunk last week. My mom gave him a bath with some kind of magic skunk stink remover she got from the pet store but he still stinks.

Mike

Staff member
I'm trying to slide under the radar w/ Max as he's not legal in most states, so he doesn't get out much. I do have my box set up for him to play in when I'm not under load - 192 sq ft just for him. I'd like to think hes a happy skunk...
Does the skunk play with you like say a dog would?

Injun

Rabid Squaw
Staff member
Supporter
More like a ferret.

Duck

Quack
Supporter
I had one of them when I was a kid. Worst pet ever, better than a cat I guess, not much better though.
Ferrets always stink. I've never had one but have had a few friends who did. They stink, .. and they'll tear up your furniture if you let them run loose.

They're smart little critters though.

Mike

Staff member
Ferrets always stink. I've never had one but have had a few friends who did. They stink, .. and they'll tear up your furniture if you let them run loose.
So, they ARE the same as cats

Cargo Commando

I think Max has a cold from the cold/hot weather we've been in. Last summer he was still a kit and didn't seem to struggle with the heat. Now he's a fat boy w/ lotsa fur...and I mean lots! Been wondering if I should shave him for the season, but have never seen a naked skunk and have no wish to humiliate my boy. Would hate to have to idle whenever I'm not under load tho...any thoughts?

Duck

Quack
Supporter
They have those clippers with the attachments so they don't cut it all the way off. It's what I cut my hair with. If it'll work on human hair, why not an animal's?