Fuel Economy Max Mileage - Fuel Borne Catalyst - Bottled By Pittsburgh Power

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
If you don’t normally travel north of 70 and rarely west of Fort Worth and know what your fuel mileage typically runs then now is as good a time as any.
Even in Texas, you have more wind and cold this time of year. Both are negative effects on fuel economy, and are highly variable. That can mask any improvement.

Humble pie

Living like a refugee
Supporter
Even in Texas, you have more wind and cold this time of year. Both are negative effects on fuel economy, and are highly variable. That can mask any improvement.
Eh. Either way it’s too late I’ve already started testing. I’ve ran this truck for 7 years I know what the fuel mileage is. You are welcome to test in the spring and post your results.

Mike

Staff member
Thing to remember about the max mileage is it wasn’t designed to increase fuel economy. That has been a beneficial side effect.

Most that I have talked to after using it for a decent period of time has found the decrease in DEF used to counter the cost of the product.

For me, the boost in power seemed worth it. Definitely quieter the 12.7 and the APU engine down.

I thought it cleaned up my bunk heater, but after further review, it clearly didn’t.

I’m running what is left out of my current gallon and then stopping for the rest of the winter. This is because I use a winter fuel additive all winter long, and can’t justify the use of both.

As the weather warms up, I will either go back to running this, or running the summer version of the Primrose additive that I use. Haven’t decided which direction to go yet.

Humble pie

Living like a refugee
Supporter
Thing to remember about the max mileage is it wasn’t designed to increase fuel economy. That has been a beneficial side effect.

Most that I have talked to after using it for a decent period of time has found the decrease in DEF used to counter the cost of the product.

For me, the boost in power seemed worth it. Definitely quieter the 12.7 and the APU engine down.

I thought it cleaned up my bunk heater, but after further review, it clearly didn’t.

I’m running what is left out of my current gallon and then stopping for the rest of the winter. This is because I use a winter fuel additive all winter long, and can’t justify the use of both.

As the weather warms up, I will either go back to running this, or running the summer version of the Primrose additive that I use. Haven’t decided which direction to go yet.
I realize it probably will benefit a dpf engine far more than mine. Better Diesel and PP both claim fuel mileage increases. It was basically free so I am trying it.

That said I probably burn considerably more fuel than you do, a bottle won’t last as long for me. Without at least enough increase to offset the cost I won’t buy it again for this truck.

Last edited:

Mike

Staff member
I realize it probably will benefit a dpf engine far more than mine. That said Better Diesel and PP both claim fuel mileage increases. It was basically free so I am trying it.

That said I probably burn considerably more fuel than you do, a bottle won’t last as long for me. Without at least enough increase to offset the cost I won’t buy it again for this truck.
one thing I noticed as well is a clean trailer rather than a dark spot by the exhaust. The stuff really seemed to clean up the exhaust.

MJ1657

Bored
Supporter
I realize it probably will benefit a dpf engine far more than mine. That said Better Diesel and PP both claim fuel mileage increases. It was basically free so I am trying it.

How much of this product do you put in when you fill up?

Humble pie

Living like a refugee
Supporter
I burn around 20,000 gallons of fuel every year. That would be about 6.25 gallons of this stuff for a year which is about 1500 dollars. No way I will keep using it if there is no return.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
I burn around 20,000 gallons of fuel every year. That would be about 6.25 gallons of this stuff for a year which is about 1500 dollars. No way I will keep using it if there is no return.
So, while waiting for KC to get busy...

You mentioned earlier that you're getting 3.81 mpg. Using $3/gallon as a benchmark, breaking even on $1500 of snake juice per year means you'd be looking at an improvement to 3.91 mpg, averaged over a year.

Humble pie

Living like a refugee
Supporter
So, while waiting for KC to get busy...

You mentioned earlier that you're getting 3.81 mpg. Using $3/gallon as a benchmark, breaking even on $1500 of snake juice per year means you'd be looking at an improvement to 3.91 mpg.
3.9 is about par for a similar load. If I can’t avg 4.30 for all miles loaded and empty it’s not worth it. In the winter months since that seems to be a sticking point for you. My quarterlies for winter months is 4.0 summer months 4.25. I need to see around 5 tenths to break even.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
3.9 is about par for a similar load. If I can’t avg 4.30 for all miles loaded and empty it’s not worth it. In the winter months since that seems to be a sticking point for you. My quarterlies for winter months is 4.0 summer months 4.25. I need to see around 5 tenths to break even.
Just using numbers you posted... winter isn't a sticking point, it's just a lousy time of year to be testing for fuel economy improvement. You're quite likely not going to see enough improvement to justify an entire year test just because it's winter.

Humble pie

Living like a refugee
Supporter
Just using numbers you posted... winter isn't a sticking point, it's just a lousy time of year to be testing for fuel economy improvement. You're quite likely not going to see enough improvement to justify an entire year test just because it's winter.
That may be, but if I see gains in the winter I should see them in summer. If I see no gains in winter then summer gains will be too small to justify using it.

Last edited:

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
Still in the 3% range. +/- depends more on my weight and whether I am in the mountains or not.

Again, my biggest changes have been from the CAC pipe repair and replacing the boost/temp sensor in the intake manifold. All things I did before running this stuff.