makin sauerkraut in the truck

bumbledink

smells awful. what the hell am i supposed to do about it

Sinister

Supermodel
Staff member
Supporter
I had one of those lunchbox cookers. I cooked some bratwurst and cut up some green peppers and onion and dumped a bunch of Montreal Seasoning on it.

Then I sat in Jubitz drinking beer in the truck and I think I even got thrown out of the bar that night (which is NOT hard there)...

Stunk up the truck for like a week.

I only noticed it gone like 5 days later when I finally was delivering formaldehyde in the beautiful smog back in Los Angeles.

It should not smell awful, I would think the odour would neutralize any week old ale farts lingering in the cab. Your batch might be rotten.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
Eat a can of pickled eggs. That'll fix the sauerkraut stench

Never understood why sauerkraut was made a dish. Your basically eating a food that has gone bad (fermented).

So yeah I can't stand the smell of sauerkraut as it is.
Fermenting vegetables is a practice as old as Methuselah and are very healthy. These foods are excellent for folks suffering diverticulitis, Crohns, IBS. Makes for healthy gut flora.
I ate fast food twice last year, none so far this year. Most fast foods would not be palatable if not impregnated with high levels of sugar and salt as are most processed foods.
I store our sauerkraut with the homebrew in garage fridge
IMG_3859.JPG

Last edited:

quillcom

These foods are excellent for folks suffering diverticuliti
Ohh ok, nice fyi.

I was even in a forum for a good minute that had a section on Crohns and IBS and never remember it being mentioned there.

No thanks though, if I ever have any of those ailments I think I'll reach for something else first, like the 5000 different types of yogurt, lol.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
No thanks though, if I ever have any of those ailments I think I'll reach for something else first, like the 5000 different types of yogurt, lol.
Same thing only it's rotten milk. The bacteria is still good for your gut.

quillcom

Same thing only it's rotten milk. The bacteria is still good for your gut
Yes, but it taste a hellovalot better than soured cabbage. That's why I don't get
why it was created.

Sauerkraut is right up there with beets as to foods I don't touch with a ten foot tongue.

Last edited: