Made The Decision On My New Truck Today

Nomad1

I've read so much here I have a hard time keeping it all straight. Are you the one with the Fitzgerald glider with head and injector issues.?

braylean

Emission problems are not necessarily the manufacturers fault, although some are worse than others. I stumbled onto the problem asking some questions at my company and then researching the answers. Any older driver here that remembers the old screaming Detroit's can relate to the problem, lol. You simply cannot idle these new engines due to carbon build up issues, only instead of building up in the cylinders and heads like the old Detroit's, the carbon builds up in the lines and filter of the dpf system.

We run peterbilt and Kenworth exclusively and all trucks either have one version of the isx 15 litre or the paccar 15 litre. Some of these trucks can be cheated to make them idle and you can watch who is in the yard for repairs every time you go in there and listen to them and sure enough sooner or later they give advice to someone on how to cheat and make the truck idle. Those that don't mess with it, you never see unless you pass them on the road. I have a 2015 Pete 386 with the isx 15 litre and gaining on 600,000 miles and the one dpf issue it has ever been in the shop for is to have the dpf filter cleaned at its routine time of 400,000 miles. It wasn't giving me any issue, was just time to get it done. A good APU makes all the difference in how much you have these trucks worked on where dpf issues are concerned. I will however admit that the Detroit's seem to do better than other engines, you are correct there. If you don't mind the ride and fixing what falls apart from vibration in the Cascadia, then that is a very good choice.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
Put True Balance centering sleeves all the way around on your tractor, and some sort of dynamic balancing product like Centramatics on a Cascadia, and it'll ride like a Caddy.

Emission problems are not necessarily the manufacturers fault, although some are worse than others. I stumbled onto the problem asking some questions at my company and then researching the answers. Any older driver here that remembers the old screaming Detroit's can relate to the problem, lol. You simply cannot idle these new engines due to carbon build up issues, only instead of building up in the cylinders and heads like the old Detroit's, the carbon builds up in the lines and filter of the dpf system.

We run peterbilt and Kenworth exclusively and all trucks either have one version of the isx 15 litre or the paccar 15 litre. Some of these trucks can be cheated to make them idle and you can watch who is in the yard for repairs every time you go in there and listen to them and sure enough sooner or later they give advice to someone on how to cheat and make the truck idle. Those that don't mess with it, you never see unless you pass them on the road. I have a 2015 Pete 386 with the isx 15 litre and gaining on 600,000 miles and the one dpf issue it has ever been in the shop for is to have the dpf filter cleaned at its routine time of 400,000 miles. It wasn't giving me any issue, was just time to get it done. A good APU makes all the difference in how much you have these trucks worked on where dpf issues are concerned. I will however admit that the Detroit's seem to do better than other engines, you are correct there. If you don't mind the ride and fixing what falls apart from vibration in the Cascadia, then that is a very good choice.
Eh they call it a Freight "Shaker" for a Reason ..

Although at my last job the Pete Model 386 could throw ya like a bucking bronco

The KW 680 afew jobs back was fairly smooth although it was that Damn Seat I just hated...with a regular seat it wouldnt be so bad

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
The KW 680 afew jobs back was fairly smooth although it was that Damn Seat I just hated...with a regular seat it wouldnt be so bad
What kind of irregular seat did they give you? Was it a bar stool or an office chair on wheels?:D

I only say that because I used to drive an old Brigadier with only a drivers seat, they would put a wooden chair in the passengers side so I could drop another driver off somewhere:rolllaugh:
Illegal as hell but, eh, it was the 90's:dunno:

braylean

Eh they call it a Freight "Shaker" for a Reason ..

Although at my last job the Pete Model 386 could throw ya like a bucking bronco

Well these aren't the fleet version of the 386, but it does still ride fairly stiff. It's better than my Cascadia was by allot, but nothing close to the Volvo for ride comfort. Ours came with cheap cloth seats as well, three entire inside of the truck is done in leather except for the seats, lol. Needless to say, that's a nice chunk of money I'll be spending soon.