Made The Decision On My New Truck Today

Sinister

Supermodel
Staff member
Supporter
Normally I would expect something like that from me...

Hows the KW working out Mike Mike ?

Welcome to the world of the Elite, btw. EVen though you're still a lowly van driver, it's still a KW...

Mike

Staff member
Normally I would expect something like that from me...

Hows the KW working out Mike Mike ?

Welcome to the world of the Elite, btw. EVen though you're still a lowly van driver, it's still a KW...
Truck is working out well so far. Spent a while at our shop in west memphis on Friday getting the qualcomm unit worked on. Ended up being bad wiring from the factory. Rather than take it in for warranty repair, just ran a new cable to the quallcom.

Fueled up last night in Terrell, TX (3.29/gal at the QT). 7.54 mpg on this fillup.

Mike

Staff member
Been a bit busy lately, so haven't updated.

My totals at this point since getting the truck. I have tracked 18,540 miles since I got the truck, and my overall average is 7.2 mpg. 30 day average is currently 7.16 mpg. Typically, I have set the cruise at 65 - 70 mph and made no efforts in fuel mileage, for a few reasons, one of them being a mechanical issue. Thanks to this mechanical issue, I pulled a 45k load from Illinois to Laredo, running 70mph to Little Rock, and anywhere from 75-85 down to Laredo. Needless to say, fuel mileage sucked on that trip, especially since the engine fan was on most of the time.

My mechanical issue has been a thorn in my side since I got the truck. Not a major issue, but very annoying. At around 500 miles, my engine fan and MIL light kicked on at the same time. Engine fan would cycle on and off for very short periods of time usually, and kick on and stay on under any sort of noticeable engine load (boost over 20). Had a part thrown at it in Dallas, then a part thrown at it in Little Rock, and finally, another part thrown at it for the 3rd time in Little Rock yesterday. This time, the part being thrown at it didn't make it past the test drive.

While at the shop for my 3rd visit, I filed a complaint with KW and got a reference number. From there, called Schneider finance with reference number, and they got in contact with a couple corporate people at KW who called down to Little Rock. Up until this point, the people at this dealer were extremely rude. After this point, they were very nice, dug deeper into the problem, and found a broken connector on the engine harness. I have made it two days since then with no engine light or cooling fan issue, so it may actually be fixed now. I will know by the end of this weekend for sure if it was actually fixed because I will be grabbing a dog food load in Oklahoma City and taking it up to Flagstaff. Normally wouldn't touch this load, but took it to give the truck a good test.

Providing my issues are fixed, I will likely start trying to push the MPG numbers up next week. All in all, I guess I can't be too unhappy with 7.2 mpg, given the truck issues, and driving faster than I should be.

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
I am sorry you are having issues with the KW. I know I kind of recommended it. When I got the truck at first I would get fault codes popping up, They all would drop off, None of them where real important.

The one and only real issue I had was the blower motor for the A/C quit on me. I still had cold air so long as I was moving. Also to a lesser degree, The License plate light stops working. I was told LED's and regular bulbs on the same truck do not get along.
I hope you get this sorted out and have no further issues.

Mike

Staff member
I am sorry you are having issues with the KW. I know I kind of recommended it. When I got the truck at first I would get fault codes popping up, They all would drop off, None of them where real important.

The one and only real issue I had was the blower motor for the A/C quit on me. I still had cold air so long as I was moving. Also to a lesser degree, The License plate light stops working. I was told LED's and regular bulbs on the same truck do not get along.
I hope you get this sorted out and have no further issues.
I think it is finally fixed. My guess is that the connector got broken during the Tripac install (while tying into all the coolant hoses).

Biggest problem is that I am hog tied to a dealer for these sort of repairs. If there were established PACCAR shops, I would be there instead of a dealer. One day, there will be shops that specialize in this engine, and they will be filled with techs that have a better understanding of actual engine diagnosis. This problem could have, and should have, been repaired properly on the first visit. All they needed to do was check it before everything cooled down, and follow procedure rather than guess and replace parts.

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
I think it is finally fixed. My guess is that the connector got broken during the Tripac install (while tying into all the coolant hoses).

Biggest problem is that I am hog tied to a dealer for these sort of repairs. If there were established PACCAR shops, I would be there instead of a dealer. One day, there will be shops that specialize in this engine, and they will be filled with techs that have a better understanding of actual engine diagnosis. This problem could have, and should have, been repaired properly on the first visit. All they needed to do was check it before everything cooled down, and follow procedure rather than guess and replace parts.
I hear thee. Our trucks are leased by Paclease.So if I am in town I can take it to the paclease shop and they are great! The best group of mechanics I have met.
If I am out on the road I have to take it to a KW dealer.

My truck is in for a PM. They also said there is some recall work that needs to be done. I don't like the sound of that, Because I don't want them to screw up anything. The truck is running perfect leave it alone.
If it aint broke don't fix it.

Mike

Staff member
Ford had a good program that kept the focus on good customer service from sales to service. I was graded by this for years both as a tech, and as a service manager. When you bought a vehicle, you received a survey. That survey was a direct grade on the dealership and the salesman. When you brought your vehicle in for warranty work, you received a survey. Again, this was a direct grade on the dealership, service department, and the individual tech(s) performing the work.

Bad surveys effected the price the dealers paid for vehicles. Repeat bad surveys would get salesmen, management, and techs fired because the dealership couldn't afford to be paying more money for vehicles than their competitor down the road.

It should be like this for truck dealers as well.

Southern Fried

Here's hoping you're right Mike. It's sure discouraging to deal with the "deer in the headlights" routine in most of the so-called dealerships these days.

Southern Fried

Ford had a good program that kept the focus on good customer service from sales to service. I was graded by this for years both as a tech, and as a service manager. When you bought a vehicle, you received a survey. That survey was a direct grade on the dealership and the salesman. When you brought your vehicle in for warranty work, you received a survey. Again, this was a direct grade on the dealership, service department, and the individual tech(s) performing the work.

Bad surveys effected the price the dealers paid for vehicles. Repeat bad surveys would get salesmen, management, and techs fired because the dealership couldn't afford to be paying more money for vehicles than their competitor down the road.

It should be like this for truck dealers as well.
That is an excellent idea. :clap:

Coronado Kid

Cactus Patch
Mike the new cummins do have emmisions problems but I am going to be completly honest with you buying a new truck is going to be really hard on you and your family your going to have to stay on the road more to pay off the truck then I also think that paccar is still in the making they are a new company and their going to have problems also then the detriot its a fleet motor and fuel saver their also going to have problems in all actuality all I am saying is crossing out california to make money you should get a pre emmision truck like something where the motor kinks were worked out like a n14 or a 60 series or a c15 if your going to for fuel the 60 series and n14 are good motors but if you want power then you want a n14 or c15 the driveline is what you want transmission and motor and rearends the look of the truck is nothing as long as it makes you money then your good

Nomad1

It's Saturday night and I'm bored so I'm going to bring this one back up over 2 years later. I just read all 6 pages of it. Do you still have the KW? How's the mileage?

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
It's Saturday night and I'm bored so I'm going to bring this one back up over 2 years later. I just read all 6 pages of it. Do you still have the KW? How's the mileage?
It seems to reside at the mechanics shop lately.....

Gets great fuel mileage. Can go 6-8 weeks with not needing fuel.

Mike

Staff member
Thankfully, it was a lease purchase. After a year, and constant trips to the shop, I gave it back and bought a different truck.

Latest posts