Lose

derekcook13

Well, my company goes to aboard recording system next week. I expect a lose of 700.00 or more a week. Now, I understand folks say'n O' thats not true! But when you've been running the way you want for as long as I have. Then it's a huge money difference. I'm thinking of hang'n up my hat. Probably won't be a horrible thing to do. I've ran well over 3m in my career no accidents, no suspension's, no points lost. Ran hard made alot of money. What is your thoughts.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
Don't let the door hit ya....

Changing gears cost me more than running legal.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
I don't see why you'd be losing 60% of your net by running legal - unless your rate is stupendously low.

Assuming 50-CPM and a 3000-mile week,that's $1500 gross. Dropping 30% for taxes, deductions, etc puts you right in the ballpark.

So can you run 3000 miles in 70 hours? If you average 55 mph, you'll burn a little less than 55 hours.

Are you telling us you can't manage that?

Mike

Staff member
Depending on how your company runs, you may lose money, you may not. This all comes down to how prepared your company is.

You may make more money, believe it or not. ELD has a way of making you more productive than you may want to be.

What you will lose is the freedom to run how you want. It sucks. I hated it back when I was surprised with it a few years ago. I was a tanker yanker, and I was awarded with being the test pilot for the crap. For the first few weeks, I lost money as I adapted to the electronic leash. I quickly adapted.

Then, due to resistance, the company tried to drag their feet on transitioning 1/3 of the fleet. These guys got the gravy runs and we’re making great money. I didn’t let that last long at all and was in the co-owner’s office. Quickly let them know they would either pull the equipment out of my truck, or install it in everyone’s trucks immediately. Everyone got it at that point, and we soon lost the nice runs that we had to other companies that were running paper logs.

The company quickly adapted though, and I quickly got a nice pay raise to stick around.

The transition is easier now as ELD’s are standard for the industry. Back then, it was a shocking transition to say the least. 900 mile days out to California and back became a thing of the past ;)

Ontario Outlaw

Hozer Witta Hood
Supporter
Depending on how your company runs, you may lose money, you may not. This all comes down to how prepared your company is.

You may make more money, believe it or not. ELD has a way of making you more productive than you may want to be.

What you will lose is the freedom to run how you want. It sucks. I hated it back when I was surprised with it a few years ago. I was a tanker yanker, and I was awarded with being the test pilot for the crap. For the first few weeks, I lost money as I adapted to the electronic leash. I quickly adapted.

Then, due to resistance, the company tried to drag their feet on transitioning 1/3 of the fleet. These guys got the gravy runs and we’re making great money. I didn’t let that last long at all and was in the co-owner’s office. Quickly let them know they would either pull the equipment out of my truck, or install it in everyone’s trucks immediately. Everyone got it at that point, and we soon lost the nice runs that we had to other companies that were running paper logs.

The company quickly adapted though, and I quickly got a nice pay raise to stick around.

The transition is easier now as ELD’s are standard for the industry. Back then, it was a shocking transition to say the least. 900 mile days out to California and back became a thing of the past ;)
I've took yer advice and I scream detention if I'm there one minute over 2 hours. It's not really working yet but I figure if I keep it up something will change.

I'm still pretty pissed off at how poorly brokers do their jobs. I debated starting a thread over it. I figured Agent_Z Agent_Z would start a rant and I'd chime in

Because now that I got Francis the ELD watching me, everyone else in my workday needs to be efficient. I can't afford to dick around getting lost because some asshat of a broker can't give me the right address. I ****ing hate brokers that are incompetent

Agent_Z

I'm still pretty pissed off at how poorly brokers do their jobs. I debated starting a thread over it. I figured Agent_Z Agent_Z would start a rant and I'd chime in
Brokers, brokers, brokers... Slave labor... Contract agent... No detention is El Garbo. Brokers.
ELDs are lame. Overtime, blah, blah, blah. :eek-64:

THBatMan8

You must like to babysit truckstops and stop at every buffet along the way.

I say that because even with an eld, i can still average 58 mph driving the east coast.

20180320_140130.png

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
If your company has it's stuff together you will not lose. It takes IMO more adaption on the dispatch end.
They need to have another load for you to pick up after you empty out. It is about optimizing drivers and equiptment.
If they had you waiting around when you were on paper then they are not ready for E-logs and you will lose money.

joseph1135

I make more on ELD than I did running without. I have more available hours because everything is in minute increments instead of 15 minutes. I haven’t lost anything. Running legal FTW. I used to think like that, E-Logs will come and there goes my money. I was wrong. You are too.

dchawk81

Supporter
I've never not been on ELDs, and I've made decent money and then better money. But I've also always had the local hustle mindset and seldom lollygag.

Mike

Staff member
If your company has it's stuff together you will not lose.
His company clearly doesn’t. Not saying that to pick on the OP, just pointing out that the ELD mandate went into effect back in December, and it appears they are just now getting around to setting them up in the trucks.

This is a company that is clearly not ready.

BirchBarlow

I love KW 680s
His company clearly doesn’t. Not saying that to pick on the OP, just pointing out that the ELD mandate went into effect back in December, and it appears they are just now getting around to setting them up in the trucks.

This is a company that is clearly not ready.
No Mike Mike the "problem" is the Government set a "Mandate" yet refused to "Certify" devices and Manufacturers that fully complied..

Thats where the ELD problem is at...

Upon the Mandate they should have also set-up and enforced Device standards as well so everything would be on the same page

Mike

Staff member
No Mike Mike the "problem" is the Government set a "Mandate" yet refused to "Certify" devices and Manufacturers that fully complied..

Thats where the ELD problem is at...

Upon the Mandate they should have also set-up and enforced Device standards as well so everything would be on the same page
Yes, we have debated that to death. I’m referring to the fact that his company is just now getting around to installing something that should have been in place back in December.

I’m a one truck trucking company, and put this in place on day one of the beginning of my operation back in September, allowing me time to adjust and fall back on paper if I needed adjustment time. Any company of any size should have had this plan in place long before the deadline.

BirchBarlow

I love KW 680s
Yes, we have debated that to death. I’m referring to the fact that his company is just now getting around to installing something that should have been in place back in December.

I’m a one truck trucking company, and put this in place on day one of the beginning of my operation back in September, allowing me time to adjust and fall back on paper if I needed adjustment time. Any company of any size should have had this plan in place long before the deadline.
It doesnt help that the Failure to "certify" devices created a situation of a Hodgepog of hunndreds of Models basically anybody can put an ELogs sticker on their door though the Software is "Shoddy"..

Again Mike Mike they made a Federal Mandate though "FAILED" to actually "Certify" compliant devices alongside that MANDATE or even set basic standards..

Waivers are currently extended until June 2019

InTooDeep

I still don't get why anyone would want to drive more hours than 11. I know I got lucky with the gig I have now I drive 350 miles a day home almost every day weekends free and make more money than ever. There are ways to make more money driving a truck beside driving yourself to death.