Owner Operator Looking for input on first truck purchase

sooopertrucker

Hey guys,

I am 4 years into trucking now, 1.5years of that long haul and I'm about to jump into becoming an owner operator. I've looked at a few trucks and would like some experienced advice on which to proceed with.

Purpose of truck is hauling Van/Reefer loaded around 70,000 lbs gross to the mid west.

The trucks are;
1. 2016 Western Star 5700XE
Engine: DD15, 505HP
Transmission: DT12 Auto
Axle Ratio: 3.23
Mileage: 450,000 Km or 280,000 Miles
Price: $95,000 CAD or $71,000 USD

Pro's: Below market price, and low mileage.
Con's: Has been in a small accident (cosmetics damage only, has been sufficiently repaired), excessive rust from operating in western Canada.

The rust is excessive and I'm wondering if it needs to be sand blasted off and painted or is it something I can handle with a drill wire brush, rust remover/inhibitor and some spray paint.

2. 2015 Volvo VNL780
Engine: D-13, 455HP
Transmission: Eaton13
Axle Ratio: 3.42
Mileage: 725,000 Km or 450,000 Miles
Price: $80,000 CAD or $60,000 USD

Pro's: Looks well maintained, very little rust showing on the entire truck, Better interior and larger cab
Con's: Priced at market value (5700XE is around 10 to 15k CAD below market value)

I'm leaning towards the Western Star because of the value. The biggest cause of friction for me is the rust (I've never driven a truck with this amount and I don't know what problems it can cause in the future). I've attached a few pictures of the rust, what do you guys think?

Thank you

Rust pics:
A few of the concerns brought up on other forum;
-WS has been sitting a while, there could be issues with DEF system
-reason for below market price on WS (it's a repo, which sat on the lot for a while. originally it was priced at 105k)
-Freightliner DD15 with similar specs as Volvo was a suggestion made, looking into it but so far they are listed for $5-10k CAD more and have more miles

Last edited by a moderator:

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
I'd lean towards a Freightliner any day of the week over a Volvo namely for availability of service locations.

One of our trucks is a 2011 Volvo. He's sat for 2 weeks before waiting for work to get done.

I've been told the same for people on Freightliner and Detroit's, but that wasn't my experience.

Both my trucks were started on their in-frame the day I took them in. Twelve days later, each truck was back on the road.

Volvo and the paccar motor in our fleet hasn't had any more or less or different issues than the Detroit powered Freightliners.

The service locations are just further apart for the Volvo.

sooopertrucker

I'd lean towards a Freightliner any day of the week over a Volvo namely for availability of service locations.

One of our trucks is a 2011 Volvo. He's sat for 2 weeks before waiting for work to get done.

I've been told the same for people on Freightliner and Detroit's, but that wasn't my experience.

Both my trucks were started on their in-frame the day I took them in. Twelve days later, each truck was back on the road.

Volvo and the paccar motor in our fleet hasn't had any more or less or different issues than the Detroit powered Freightliners.

Was there a reason you started in-frame when you got the trucks?
Was there something in the diagnostics that told you the engine needed to be overhauled?

Last edited:

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
14L series 60
Oil sample came back positive for coolant in oil.
Dropped the oil pan and found coolant dripping from #1 sleeve. Engine had 1.12 million miles. Just did it all.

12.7L series 60
Driver called in with serious miss. Taking turbo off found a dropped exhaust valve on #5. Full in frame as a result and new head. Unknown miles on engine. Truck had 1.3 million miles

Last edited:

r3gulator3

Friendly Neighborhood Former Technician
Staff member
Supporter
In the two trucks you listed the western star is the way to go. Better built truck, the DD platform is good and for an auto you can’t go wrong with a DT12

Sinister

Supermodel
Staff member
Supporter
Hey guys,

I am 4 years into trucking now, 1.5years of that long haul and I'm about to jump into becoming an owner operator. I've looked at a few trucks and would like some experienced advice on which to proceed with.

Purpose of truck is hauling Van/Reefer loaded around 70,000 lbs gross to the mid west.

The trucks are;

Con's: Has been in a small accident (cosmetics damage only, has been sufficiently repaired), excessive rust from operating in western Canada.

The rust is excessive and I'm wondering if it needs to be sand blasted off and painted or is it something I can handle with a drill wire brush, rust remover/inhibitor and some spray paint.

2. 2015 Volvo VNL780

Pro's: Looks well maintained, very little rust showing on the entire truck, Better interior and larger cab
Con's: Priced at market value (5700XE is around 10 to 15k CAD below market value)

I'm leaning towards the Western Star because of the value. The biggest cause of friction for me is the rust (I've never driven a truck with this amount and I don't know what problems it can cause in the future). I've attached a few pictures of the rust, what do you guys think?

Thank you

Rust pics:
-reason for below market price on WS (it's a repo, which sat on the lot for a while. originally it was priced at 105k)
-Freightliner DD15 with similar specs as Volvo was a suggestion made, looking into it but so far they are listed for $5-10k CAD more and have more miles

Sorry dude. Had to edit it out the link to The Not Named Forum.

That one and this one are kinda enemies and they are way less cooler that we are.

Ranger_375

I know you tout the service availability of ta/petro for freightliner warranty, but you are stuck to real dealers for real work the same as volvos. You aint getting an inframe at a TA, and being honest as well, my 2 week issue could have just as easily happened at any freightliner dealer. Knight had new (under 50k), under warranty freightliner trucks guys had to rotate out of due to dealer backlog.

Recognise shop dice roll, and compare to shop durations vs every other problem of similar severity, then come back. Hell, my turbo woulda been an in/out deal over a 10 if I had gotten into the Sapp 2 hours earlier.

Steef

Hey guys,

The trucks are;

2. 2015 Volvo VNL780

Thank you

Rust pics:

Express Auto looking for O/O with own equipment.
92% Of the gross.
We book you loads.
We manage all your back office paper work.
Helping with filling for own authority.
DM for any additional information

general.freight@expressauto.group

Hanover Fist

Go with Cummins power...there are far more places that can service them.
Mack and Volvo take forever...I took a GU713 in on trade that turned out to need a new wiring harness. We had to send it to the nearest Mack dealer (our techs can't work on it) where it has now been for two weeks as of Monday.
Freightliner service and parts are everywhere.
A Peterbilt or Kenworth will typically demand a higher resale, but ultimately it depends on the model and specs...I have a Paccar powered 587 that I can't seem to give away.
If fuel economy is a concern, stay away from a 389 or a W900.
Ask for service records if available.
Spring for extended warranty on the engine and drivetrain...it's a compative bargain vs a rebuild. In fact, you can usually get some decent protection for less then the cost of a new turbo.