Looking for a change of career....Am I on the right track?

unleashd

Points noted. Thanks for the advise about to not use my personal daily driver. Let me work to get a CDL then. Is it necessary to go to CDL school with a transport company? Other than the high cost of going to CDL school on my own, what are the drawbacks?

Duck

Green banner
Supporter
Points noted. Thanks for the advise about to not use my personal daily driver. Let me work to get a CDL then. Is it necessary to go to CDL school with a transport company? Other than the high cost of going to CDL school on my own, what are the drawbacks?
Getting it on your own from a decent school is the best way to go but not everyone can just put down 4-5k like that.

Some of the bigger fleets operate their own schools and they will teach you and get you your CDL in exchange for indentured servitude. Basically you sign a contract agreeing to drive for them for a certain length of time. Usually a year. If you quit or get fired before then, you'll owe them part of the tuition cost.

Avoid CR England. And don't let anyone con you into leasing a truck either. At least not til you've learned the industry. Just start out driving a company truck.