Load Securement

r3gulator3

Friendly Neighborhood Former Technician
Staff member
Supporter
Thread starter #21
Needs another 20,000# of securement. That stuff goes up against my step bulk head for reason.
I have securement on it for (by dot standard) a load that weighs 128k I think it will be fine. Also secured according to the guide lines given to me by the company.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
bundled steel just doesn't sit right with me. No matter how good you seem to secure it, there's stuff in the middle that always seems to "float" out of the bundle.

r3gulator3

Staff member
Supporter
Thread starter #25
bundled steel just doesn't sit right with me. No matter how good you seem to secure it, there's stuff in the middle that always seems to "float" out of the bundle.
I don’t disagree with you on that. I have made more frequent load checks on this run than normal just to make sure nothing was walking on me.

Fortunately it’s not bar or it definitely wouldn’t be that tall, and it would of had a bulkhead built. I have hauled tons of pipe, first run of stuff bundled like this. That’s why I called saftey and got their input on how to secure it. I did add some extra straps compared to what I thought should be there.

Also with this run I have driven a little more defensively. Keeping a much bigger space cushion than normal, and slowing for stops more gradual and making turns more gradual as well. Just like I would hauling 2-3 tiers of I-beam.

r3gulator3

Staff member
Supporter
Thread starter #29
Just saying that some times no matter how much you secure a load, it comes down to how the person drives the truck.
I agree 110%. As I have said from day one of driving open deck. Drive the load and not the road. Some stuff you gotta make that turn 10-15 below posted speed. Or winding thru a gorge at the posted limit even though billy is screaming at ya in the CB to speed up and drive the road. Sorry billy. This 48k coil don’t drift like your empty bull wagon man. You wanna be that outlaw there’s another lane.

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
I agree 110%. As I have said from day one of driving open deck. Drive the load and not the road. Some stuff you gotta make that turn 10-15 below posted speed. Or winding thru a gorge at the posted limit even though billy is screaming at ya in the CB to speed up and drive the road. Sorry billy. This 48k coil don’t drift like your empty bull wagon man. You wanna be that outlaw there’s another lane.
When i was a trainer I had a trainee and he was hauling 8" paper rolls. I am telling him slow, slow, slow, in the corners.
But, But, that guy is going faster.
Yes, but that guy is not hauling the same load you are:thumbsup:

RDBG

When i was a trainer I had a trainee and he was hauling 8" paper rolls. I am telling him slow, slow, slow, in the corners.
Hat's off to ya. I know that I could never do that job for I would have to slap the shyte out of someone at some point.

r3gulator3

Staff member
Supporter
Thread starter #32
For those of you that have never hauled wire mesh. Oh the joys you are missing out on. The square panels aren’t too bad but then you get a load of rolls like the one I’m currently pulling. It’s interesting to say the least. Each roll is steel banded to the rolls next to it, and above and below it. Each of the 18 units is about 7 ‘ wide and 4’ tall and about 5 feet long. Belly chains on the bottom layer. X straps and 3 over the front. One over each middle and two over the back. Even with them straps cranked down into the mesh 4” it still sways some. It’s a little spooky till you get used to it.
D85D4261-93D7-4B49-AC27-7F9D0FD6F71D.jpeg
DD8ED3A4-7009-45D1-81A3-39BB8772436B.jpeg

r3gulator3

Staff member
Supporter
Thread starter #33
I have hauled rolls of gypsum paper which are 54ish inches wide and spoiled to 7 feet. Give er take depending on where you’re loading and where your going. I would rather haul that paper any day of the week compared to this mesh crap. I put the paper on wedge blocks strap it as tight as I can. Tarp it and run. The only way that stuff moves is if you leave a strap loose. Not that I have ever done it. But watched a guy from another company turn and one roll, rolled to the left side 6” while he was turning right. He stopped and tightened the strap and everything lined back up and away he went.