Let's Argue About IFTA in the most confusing manner possible

** Commie Express **
Supporter
So, you fill up in Indiana then travel through OH, PA and NY without buying fuel your going to take it up the you know what! It's not as easy as you make it out to be. That's why there's an online service that you pay monthly to tell you where and when to buy fuel.

** Commie Express **
Supporter
There ya go. Your an expert who actually has NEVER filed an IFTA I'm guessing?

** Commie Express **
Supporter
Oh, and by the way. Indiana is $.27 cents per mile. You don't know how to read the worksheet

Blood

Driveler Emeritus
Supporter
Difference between IL and IN is around $.10 per gallon or less according to Diesel Boss fuel prices. You really have to do all the math on the IFTA spreadsheet.
IL fuel tax is 43 cpg.
IN fuel tax is 16 cpg on pump & 11 cpg off pump.
When you fuel in IN add 11 cpg to the pump price.
I dunno what diesel boss has been smoking but 43-(16+11) is 16 cpg difference in every state in the republic.
That's when you file IFTA...
When you actually purchase fuel the on pump difference is (43-16=) 27 cpg.

** Commie Express **
Supporter
Would you like me to post an empty IFTA worksheet then you plan a fictitious trip from point A to B and show us how it's done? You fill up at the cheapest places and I'll do it another way and we can see how we each come out?

So, give me a trip from one point to another. The number of miles in each state and gallons purchased. We will use the pump price off diesel boss. That's what you pay. The IFTA worksheet will do the rest.

Blood

Driveler Emeritus
Supporter
So, you fill up in Indiana then travel through OH, PA and NY without buying fuel your going to take it up the you know what! It's not as easy as you make it out to be. That's why there's an online service that you pay monthly to tell you where and when to buy fuel.

There ya go. Your an expert who actually has NEVER filed an IFTA I'm guessing?
You mean...
you??
:D

I'm not trying to start a pissing contest (at the moment).
But it is EXACTLY that easy.
Pump price minus fuel tax equals best price.

You are the smartest guy in nearly any room you walk into.
This ain't f'n calculus holmes, you just have a blind spot.

This is like algebra 101 on that day when you wake up and think, "OH! RIGHT!!"

And just for the record, I was filing IFTA when you were trying to decide whether to jump out of the basement window.
;)

** Commie Express **
Supporter
I'm calling you out! Plan a trip. We'll use Diesel Boss pump prices.

From where to where.
Where you bought fuel and how much.
Your MPG

Blood

Driveler Emeritus
Supporter
I'm calling you out! Plan a trip. We'll use Diesel Boss pump prices.

From where to where.
Where you bought fuel and how much.
Your MPG
Lets say buy 300 gallons in IN then head to upstate NY?

You completely missed my point(s).
I rarely buy IN fuel at 16 cpg on pump plus 11 cpg off pump.
I normally buy IL fuel at 43 cpg on pump because the difference is CHEAPER than buying IN fuel and paying the difference...
and I don't acquiesce [@Sinister is going to be so proud] to diesel boss pricing.

Take a look at Gasbuddy and compare it to major chain pricing.
In the examples I cited I mostly fueled at a BP, exit 240 on I-55.
Wilmington, IL.
Compare their price right now to any Peelot or T/A anywhere within 100 miles.

** Commie Express **
Supporter
Let me know when your ready. I did do a simple test from IN to NY but it's not a long enough route. We need like a 30,000 mile quarter on like a dedicated run.

It's a simple thing. It's what scientists do every day.

I have a theory.
Lets do an experiment.
Now lets look at the results.
Now lets come to a conclusion.

Blood

Driveler Emeritus
Supporter
Let me know when your ready. I did do a simple test from IN to NY but it's not a long enough route. We need like a 30,000 mile quarter on like a dedicated run.

It's a simple thing. It's what scientists do every day.

I have a theory.
Lets do an experiment.
Now lets look at the results.
Now lets come to a conclusion.
Why...
Johnny Ringo...

In the unlikely event that Porch Monkey doesn't cut you down before we come to terms...

Tazz

Infidel
Your going to pay to run through the states no matter what. Pay all the money to give yourself the illusion your not paying it if you want but you are paying it.

** Commie Express **
Supporter
Ok, just did a test. If you ran a dedicated run from IN to NY. It's a 1,000 mile trip one way. You did 50 of those round trips for a total of 100,000 miles. You got 6mpg and bought all your fuel in IN. You would have to pay $3,057 in IFTA tax.

I haven't done it my way. It's turning out to be kind of a chore. I need to plan my stops along the way then add up the actual cost of fuel to see how I can save more. If this was an actual dedicated run I would spend the hours needed to make it come out as cheap as possible.

It comes out as:

Indiana 17,000 miles
Ohio 30,700
PA 4,500
NY 46,400

Buying just enough fuel to run in each state would be a zero owed on IFTA but that's not the way we want to do it. This is where that program comes into play taking fuel prices into play. It may be in your best interest to buy 30% in Indiana, 45% in PA and so on.

Tazz

Infidel
Because NY fuel tax is more.

Look you have to pay each state their IFTA. All you are changing is are you paying it at the pump or at the end of a quarter. The amount your going to owe is the same.

** Commie Express **
Supporter
Because NY fuel tax is more.

Look you have to pay each state their IFTA. All you are changing is are you paying it at the pump or at the end of a quarter. The amount your going to owe is the same.
I know but with proper planning you can minimize your costs but it's work. That's where that program comes into play but it's a monthly membership to use it. On a dedicated run like I listed above it would be in your best interest to work out the numbers. Some times it's worth it to buy more expensive fuel in one state but how much and so on. It's not an easy task

** Commie Express **
Supporter
I just did a little look on that dedicated run. Buying fuel at the Loves in Binghamton, NY can save you $.25 cents per gallon and it's along the run and it's only about $.11 cents more per gallon than Indiana. Buying all your fuel there for the amount of miles traveled in NY can save you $3,143.46 in NY fuel tax. I think right there more then offsets your savings at the pump in IN.

Do you get my point what I'm trying to say? It may be that you could save even more NOT buying all the fuel you need to run in NY and buy more in another state for the refund instead.

Duck

My other car is a POS too
Supporter
I'd assume that the fleets that micromanage where drivers get fuel and how much to buy in order to not owe or get a refund are doing it just because they spend a gazillion on fuel and don't want to give the states an interest free loan.

Any tax refund you get is nothing more than repayment of an interest free loan you've given them.

That interest wouldn't be enough to make a difference to an owner operator, and certainly not worth the hassle but to a huge fleet, they simply run a computer program and the only hassle is dealt with by the drivers they don't give a f*** about anyway, so it makes sense to them.

IN is 16 cpg on pump and 11 cpg off pump meaning that you pay 16 cpg on the fuel you pump and another 11 cpg on the IFTA filing.
So 16 cpg is all you need to worry about.
I think IN & KY are the only states that still do that stupid crap.
Probably so they can tax the heavier commercial trucks more than they tax the lighter weight diesel pickups & RVs. Indiana is where most RVs are made. The lower tax at the pump, and for those who don't pay the IFTA thing, makes RVs easier to sell.
You make it sound like you did something illegal.
No. Knew it wasn't illegal but figured if they did their IFTA stuff trip by trip, it would confuse them. That's all.

I think the boss told me once that they don't even do their own IFTA stuff. They just download our Qualcomm location history and give it to some accounting firm & they figure all that stuff out.

Before the e-logs, our older style Qualcomms wouldn't update their positions often enough or accurately enough for that to be possible. So for every trip we had to write down what routes we took. Never had to write down mileage per state though.