Leasing program

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
We get detention although it isn't guaranteed for us as it is with the company drivers. We have a couple of customers that have a grease period of 24 hours before they pay detention, but outside of those we do get it and often more for our time than the company drivers because we get 100 percent of what's paid, they get a set amount because it's guaranteed. I get paid empty or loaded exactly the same. And all my tolls are reimbursed as long as the company route uses those toll roads running empty without a route from customer to customer I get reimbursed for my tolls as long as it isn't a banned toll road. I average between 2800 and 3500 miles per week.
"Banned toll road" for an independent contractor??

nan

Supporter
I'm not sure any modern truck is good for the long term no matter who made it. I feel like they're all disposable, and intentionally so.

Mike

Staff member
The whole deal revolves around the IRS definition of an "independent contractor." This smacks of the carrier setting routes - which is what happens with employees.
Not sure why you are saying that. He simply said he gets reimbursed for the tolls if it is an approved route for the company. If it isn’t, he pays the tolls.

Carrier isn’t setting his routes in any way.

Schneider was the same way. They paid for certain toll roads, we had to pay for others. That said, new lease purchase drivers there are no longer getting any tolls paid. Existing guys are grandfathered in from what I have been told. Kind of an unfair playing field, but I imagine things will be evened out the next time the old guys sign their next IC contract.

Mike

Staff member
I'm not sure any modern truck is good for the long term no matter who made it. I feel like they're all disposable, and intentionally so.
People are consistently taking these new trucks over 1 million miles now. I’m sure some emissions costs have to be factored in, but the trucks are holding up well.

ironpony ironpony , how many miles did your truck have on it before you got rid of it?

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
People are consistently taking these new trucks over 1 million miles now. I’m sure some emissions costs have to be factored in, but the trucks are holding up well.

ironpony ironpony , how many miles did your truck have on it before you got rid of it?
1.1 million - '09 Cascadia. So it wasn't even a "newer" emissions system.

Prime paid 28℅ of all tolls (28/72 revenue split.) I pay all my own tolls at the new joint.

BrandonCDLtrucker

FWIW I talked to a guy who was doing LP with sneeeyydeerr. He said he's doing ok but the truck is costing him significant money. He said they remove the gov so his does 89 but he said much above 65 and your profit goes into your fuel tank. He said they're good on miles for him but he'll pay WAY more for the truck at the end than it's worth.

That's all I can add.

Mike

Staff member
FWIW I talked to a guy who was doing LP with sneeeyydeerr. He said he's doing ok but the truck is costing him significant money. He said they remove the gov so his does 89 but he said much above 65 and your profit goes into your fuel tank. He said they're good on miles for him but he'll pay WAY more for the truck at the end than it's worth.

That's all I can add.
This is simple.

The trucks are set up for running at 65mph. This is info given up front. If he is running fast, and worried about fuel economy, he’s simply doing everything wrong.

Schneider doesn’t give you miles, because they don’t dispatch you. They give you a load board and the ability to run your truck however you want to run it. This guy you talked to is focused on miles, he is once again doing it completely wrong.

Mike

Staff member
And as for the truck at Schneider, you likely won’t go to a dealer yourself and get a Freightliner any cheaper if you are financing it.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
And as for the truck at Schneider, you likely won’t go to a dealer yourself and get a Freightliner any cheaper if you are financing it.
We added up the numbers on Prime's lease a number of years ago, and with financing costs included, it worked out to about what you'd pay at a dealer for a Freightliner.

krelithous

Supporter
no way would i lease from the carrier that gives me my loads. no way would i lease from a carrier period if you want to mod the truck such as dropping an APU in good luck with that!!! then even if they let you drop an APU in you still have to worry about them starving you out of the truck and loosing your $$$

Mike

Staff member
no way would i lease from the carrier that gives me my loads. no way would i lease from a carrier period if you want to mod the truck such as dropping an APU in good luck with that!!! then even if they let you drop an APU in you still have to worry about them starving you out of the truck and loosing your $$$
Works great for some folks.

There are people at Schneider who do nothing but lease trucks. Every three years, they trade their current truck for a new truck.

And, they make money doing it.

Can they make near equal money driving a Schneider company truck? Yes. In some cases, there are folks who may make more on the company side.

They do it because they want to work more on their terms, choose their own loads, take off when they want to take off.

Different strokes for different folks.

nan

Supporter
I calculated my average mileage pay even though that's not our sole pay uh... parameter...since the shorter the load, the more per mile it works out to be because of the flat rate load pay.

Anyway it's about a buck a mile. And nothing related to operating a truck comes out of that.

So that's my perspective with respect to deciding how and when and if I'll own a truck.

Mike

Staff member
Anyway it's about a buck a mile. And nothing related to operating a truck comes out of that.

So that's my perspective with respect to deciding how and when and if I'll own a truck.
Here we go with extremes again, lol.

Profiting, if you count my salary in it, was well over $1.00 last year. It’s close this year.

For me, though, it goes far beyond money.

I could do decent with a local job, but may as well be OTR for the way it restricts my life. I could be maki good money with Wal-Mart right now and home for my 34 every week, blah blah blah.

Neither works for me because if I want to take a week off for something family related, I do it. 3 days after that, if something else is going on that I want another 2-3 days off for, I do it. That said, it requires me to work hard when I am actually working. I just never want to answer to anyone else again outside of my family, those I have to pay bills to, and the IRS.