Leaking fuel tanker

Duck

My other car is a POS too
Supporter
Mrs Duck's aunt posted this on Facebook yesterday.

Screenshot_2017-02-07-15-36-10.png

Being familiar with the area, I'm guessing that leaking tanker got on I-80 eastbound at Briggs.

At the rate of leakage she described, if it was the fuel tanks on the power unit, it wouldn't make it very far. Too bad she didn't keep following it to see if it got on I-80.

So what's the gravity of a situation like that?

What would the environmental fines be? How much **** will the driver be in when he gets to his delivery and it's either still leaking or the tank (or compartment) is empty?

Mike Mike Sinister Sinister ..... Keendriver Keendriver

Last edited by a moderator:

GAnthony

Methuselah
Supporter
Mrs Duck's aunt posted this on Facebook yesterday.

View attachment 38608

Being familiar with the area, I'm guessing that leaking tanker got on I-80 eastbound at Briggs.

At the rate of leakage she described, if it was the fuel tanks on the power unit, it wouldn't make it very far. Too bad she didn't keep following it to see if it got on I-80.

So what's the gravity of a situation like that?

What would the environmental fines be? How much **** will the driver be in when he gets to his delivery and it's either still leaking or the tank (or compartment) is empty?

Mike Mike Sinister Sinister ..... Keendriver Keendriver
they will most certainly fine him all the way back from the beginning of the leak. w how the ground would be treated, if at all, is in question. if they spread speedi-dri, that'll create hazardous waste.

if they wash it down with a fire hose, that'll pollute the sewer system, even (like here) the bay, as the run off goes into our ocean's bay.

would be a joke, if the black top was cracked and had pot holes, and they needed to dig way deep, to be rid of the fuel.....

costly indeed, to the company, the driver as well.

each state (mine again as an example), will charge the company for the food truck that goes out, to feed the workers, hotels for the workers, and the waste hauling companies, that come from out of state.

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
they do that a lot here as well, but i notice no odor....
It is astonishing what people think they smell. I was hauling yard waste, Tree branches and what not in the same kind of trailer that they haul recyclables. the trailer happened to be empty at the time and this guy pulls up beside me and asks if the is garbage inside? I said no. He says it smells like garbage. Yeah, Ok Pal! Maybe it is your upper lip you are smelling:D

GAnthony

Methuselah
Supporter
It is astonishing what people think they smell. I was hauling yard waste, Tree branches and what not in the same kind of trailer that they haul recyclables. the trailer happened to be empty at the time and this guy pulls up beside me and asks if the is garbage inside? I said no. He says it smells like garbage. Yeah, Ok Pal! Maybe it is your upper lip you are smelling:D
oh i got a great one. there was a real good cb shop not far from where i live, i was picking up my tuned cb. there was a gal and her daughter in thier car. a WATER truck stopped at the red light. i was just outside, going to my car, and saw/heard this......

the gal got out, screaming at the driver, he was leaking gasoline...

guy asked her, "what does the sign say on my truck"?

young daughter said, "mommy, it says water"

gal got in, hammered outta there.

GAnthony

Methuselah
Supporter
oh i got a great one. there was a real good cb shop not far from where i live, i was picking up my tuned cb. there was a gal and her daughter in thier car. a WATER truck stopped at the red light. i was just outside, going to my car, and saw/heard this......

the gal got out, screaming at the driver, he was leaking gasoline...

guy asked her, "what does the sign say on my truck"?

young daughter said, "mommy, it says water"

gal got in, hammered outta there.

that cb shop owner, (Nita) was known to be a chain smoker, died. no more shop..not even 60 years old....

Southern Fried

Yup, it ain't cheap brother. That's why Hazmat insurance is so very expensive and hard to get. Also, why Hazmat Authority is very hardv to get and maintain.

What looks like an "easy cleanup" could well swell into the millions with all the exposures to lawsuits.

Little story from up home....

A friend of mine was an O/O for Armour Transport in Moncton NB. Since he lived in Sussex, close to the main routes, he often stopped at home enroute overnight..... parking in his own paved driveway. Well one night he must have overfilled the fuel tanks or something cause they "drooled" onto the asphalt. His "neighbor" who hated everybody but him in particular, reported the "spill" to Canada's version of the EPA.

Long story short, buddy had to dig up his whole driveway down to 12 feet deep. Had to pay to truck the soil 100 miles away and to have it "cleansed" (no he don't get it back). Top it all off, he's informed that the EPA will monitor the nighbor's well (1/2 mile away... uphill ) for 10 years and that he would be liable.

Only thing that saved his butt at all is that Wes Armour (the owner of the company) is a good man who absorbed a whole bunch of the cost. People like that are extremely rare.

But you see what I mean.

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
that cb shop owner, (Nita) was known to be a chain smoker, died. no more shop..not even 60 years old....
So like 10 people that I went to highschool with are dead in their thirties, They never smoked.
Heart attack
Heart attack
Car crash
Buddy had sickle cell, But his brother thinks he killed him, I am going to let the prick keep thinking that.
Yadda,Yadda,Yadda.

GAnthony

Methuselah
Supporter
So like 10 people that I went to highschool with are dead in their thirties, They never smoked.
Heart attack
Heart attack
Car crash
Buddy had sickle cell, But his brother thinks he killed him, I am going to let the prick keep thinking that.
Yadda,Yadda,Yadda.
we had to deal with suicide way back in jr. high (middle school)..great kid, had some sort of problem, put his head in an oven, turned on the gas. this was back in the early/mid 60's..????

GAnthony

Methuselah
Supporter
when i had my wreck, i don't know what hurt more, seeing the bike sliding and sparking, or my 4 cracked ribs, and some road rash......

the bike sliding and sparking......

luckily for me, and maybe this guy, the frame is not tweaked, looks all cosmetics.....

let the waiting game for the lawsuit begin...

Injun

Rabid Squaw
Staff member
Supporter
when i had my wreck, i don't know what hurt more, seeing the bike sliding and sparking, or my 4 cracked ribs, and some road rash......

the bike sliding and sparking......

luckily for me, and maybe this guy, the frame is not tweaked, looks all cosmetics.....

let the waiting game for the lawsuit begin...
The bike was totaled. Very sad. He's okay now, but it took months for him to heal up.
Friend of mine.

Injun

Rabid Squaw
Staff member
Supporter
from the pics, it looked all plastic. too bad, what year was it?
2016, I think. It was one of those limited edition with some special paint that can't be reproduced. It's surprising how little damage it takes to total a motorcycle. Mine was all cosmetic damage: Gas tank, fenders, mirrors, etc.. It added up to $8K and the insurance company offered to total it and buy me a new bike. I said I wanted to repair mine, even though if I had allowed it to be totaled, I would have gotten a $14K settlement. Nawp. I wanted my own bike.

My friend thought about buying it from the insurance company, but for whatever reason, didn't.

GAnthony

Methuselah
Supporter
yeah, mine was brand new, (2009) and about $3,000 in cosmetics. but also, a Suzuki bagger