Kenworth door dimensions? (K100,W900,T600,T800,T400 and familiar)

RZR_SRT

Hi everyone! Can anybody tell me what exact width and height of KW's door? It can be newer or older revision. As I understand, both have same size.
Other dimensions from picture would be helpful to for me. But those are related to "Flat glass" type of cab, and probably harder to measure. So I will be even glad to know just door dimensions.
Best regards and big thanks!

door size1.jpg

runragged

Hi everyone! Can anybody tell me what exact width and height of KW's door? It can be newer or older revision. As I understand, both have same size.
Other dimensions from picture would be helpful to for me. But those are related to "Flat glass" type of cab, and probably harder to measure. So I will be even glad to know just door dimensions.

View attachment 58799
don't really know but I need to know where that salvage yard is. that's the cleanest parted out truck I have ever seen !

RZR_SRT

don't really know but I need to know where that salvage yard is. that's the cleanest parted out truck I have ever seen !
I'm not sure it's legal to post links here. Other problem I can't PM to You(some error shows up) .
Any way try google this: 1989 Kenworth W900B (Stock #P-441)
First link should be it!
Or try PM to me, I will PM back to You a straight link. Probably forum logic is blocking my PM ability, because I register just recently.

As I understand, You refer my to guy who can give me an answer?

Snowman_w900

STAFF MEMBER
Supporter

View attachment 58799
W= 33-1/8
H= 55-1/2

RZR_SRT

Snowman_w900 Are You were make that that measurements by Yourself or get somewhere else?

My problem is, I can't match those measurements with photos. Of course photos have their own distortion(that's why I need real measurements, to fix that distortion), but it isn't so high as in current case.
Here is some results from 3d modeling software.
Left side: White cage is plane(recreated by provided dimensions) in compassion to door proportion.
Right side: Same thing but cage is light blue/green.
Not match.jpg

Oxbow

Ignored
Supporter
Snowman_w900 Are You were make that that measurements by Yourself or get somewhere else?

My problem is, I can't match those measurements with photos. Of course photos have their own distortion(that's why I need real measurements, to fix that distortion), but it isn't so high as in current case.
Left side: White cage is plane(recreated by provided dimensions) in compassion to door proportion.
View attachment 58946
Are you making vinyl signs for the door? I am curious as to what you are doing with the information.

Snowman_w900

STAFF MEMBER
Supporter

View attachment 58946
I did make those measurements. Those were taken with a tape measure. How far off are the measurements I gave you compared to the measurements you are getting in your photos?

Last edited:

RZR_SRT

Are you making vinyl signs for the door? I am curious as to what you are doing with the information.
I'm making 3d model of w900b from 80's (may be others based on the same cab). Purpose for that model are still not clarified. I just want to make it well and with high precision.
I did make those measurements. Those were taken with a tape measure. How far off are the measurements I gave you compared to the measurements you are getting in your photos?
Thanks for the clarification. I spend whole day to try figure out what could be wrong. No luck till this moment.
I take height value as constant(so it always fit to a door height). Tried lot of different photos, but width is always less in range 2.8" - 3.2"(depends on photo).
Any way thanks for Your help!

No mater what photos I use, I always have something like this:
difference.jpg

Last edited:

Johndeere4020

Strong opinions are not facts MJ!!
Supporter
I'm making 3d model of w900b from 80's (may be others based on the same cab). Purpose for that model are still not clarified. I just want to make it well and with high precision.

Thanks for the clarification. I spend whole day to try figure out what could be wrong. No luck till this moment.
I take height value as constant(so it always fit to a door height). Tried lot of different photos, but width is always less in range 2.8" - 3.2"(depends on photo).

View attachment 59002
Interesting, so I have a question. When you get the 3D file created can you change the scale easily?

Snowman_w900

STAFF MEMBER
Supporter

View attachment 59002
@RZR_SRT , I apologize. I really screwed up here. I typed the wrong measurements to you and failed to realize it. I went out and double checked everything and this is what I have:

H= 51-11/16". That's the actual door frame measurement, not the door itself. Theres an 1/8" gap top and bottom where the door sets in the frame, so keep that in mind.

W= 34". So again, this is actual door frame measurement. Theres the door gap of 1/8", so the door itself is close to 1/2" overall less in width than the door frame.

B= right at 60" +/- .5" (5 feet) in width. I took that measurement holding the tape measure myself, so it was hard to get it exact, but that is very close.

A= 47.25", however I have a sleeper. My cab is an Aerocab and I measured from the front point of measurement A to the sleeper, right where the cab starts its first bend so take that into consideration.

Again, I apologize for not double checking my post and for giving you the wrong measurements. Hopefully this will clear up the confusion.

Last edited:

RZR_SRT

@RZR_SRT
Again, I apologize for not double checking my post and for giving you the wrong measurements. Hopefully this will clear up the confusion.
There is no problem! I'm really happy that You are helping me at all! My location are way to far from US. I can't even go and watch those trucks with my own eyes. So I can't even talk about making any measurements by my self. I'm from Ukraine, by the way.

Also excuse me for I was not responding rapidly. I should switch on another project for some time(job is calling).

But I was done test that measurements You gave me last time and....
And those are works just perfect!!! I wasn't tested a and b numbers yet. I'm not sure that front parts of flat glass and curved glass cab models are have same size. Any way, if I was not wrong with tilt of cab side(I belie it's 7 degree from frame or longitudinal axis). Then I can define a and b according to the door frame size(which is perfectly fit now).
Also about those a and b dimensions that You done for me. I'll keep those in mind. After I do finish with flat glass models, I will switch to curved glass ones! So everything will be in use.

nteresting, so I have a question. When you get the 3D file created can you change the scale easily?
Well, answer is yes and no at same time. Depends on case You are dealing with.

Basically if Your model are in right proportions, there is no problem to scale it. Or if precision does not matter.
Problems appears when geometry is complex and some of sizes, curves, tilts are wrong. Simple scaling won't work in that case. Sometimes even easier build model from scratch, than try fix some part of it.
I don't know how explain it short manner.

Oxbow

Ignored
Supporter
There is no problem! I'm really happy that You are helping me at all! My location are way to far from US. I can't even go and watch those trucks with my own eyes. So I can't even talk about making any measurements by my self. I'm from Ukraine, by the way.

Also excuse me for I was not responding rapidly. I should switch on another project for some time(job is calling).

And those are works just perfect!!! I wasn't tested a and b numbers yet. I'm not sure that front parts of flat glass and curved glass cab models are have same size. Any way, if I was not wrong with tilt of cab side(I belie it's 7 degree from frame or longitudinal axis). Then I can define a and b according to the door frame size(which is perfectly fit now).
Also about those a and b dimensions that You done for me. I'll keep those in mind. After I do finish with flat glass models, I will switch to curved glass ones! So everything will be in use.

Basically if Your model are in right proportions, there is no problem to scale it. Or if precision does not matter.
Problems appears when geometry is complex and some of sizes, curves, tilts are wrong. Simple scaling won't work in that case. Sometimes even easier build model from scratch, than try fix some part of it.
Keep in mind, some of the tilt in the cab that you mention could be from deflated cab air ride.

RZR_SRT

Keep in mind, some of the tilt in the cab that you mention could be from deflated cab air ride.
Thanks for advise!
Just for clarification. Maybe I was wrong when describing which tilt I mean. I mean, when You look at Kenworth cab from top, its side walls not parallel.
And of course I do account on irregularities like frame twist, montage issues, not ideal surface where vehicle stands etc. Exactly for that reason I start doing trucks models from cab. Of course cab(or any other part) can has its own twists, skews and irregularities but usually those are less noticeable.

Johndeere4020

Strong opinions are not facts MJ!!
Supporter

Very very interesting, I used to build some model semis. There was a guy named Dennis Aust that cast resin Kenworth parts he had them about perfect in 1:87. He’s out of the business but he’s a good dude you might reach out to him.

I’ve looked into 3D printing, there are some guys on shapeways that have some stuff already. I’ll be interested in what you come up with. Do us a favor and keep in touch there’s a lot of us interested in this kind of stuff.

Oxbow

Ignored
Supporter

View attachment 58799
In this photo your yellow lines and angle description is what I was referring to when I mentioned the cab air ride being deflated.

Mike

Staff member
Considering he drives a T660....

I figured he would just have to measure his door for you.
If I ever made it back home, been gone for two weeks, I might do that. I'm forgetting what my house looks like. It's depressing, LOL

Latest posts