Motor Carrier JB Hunt 360 Load Board App

Mike

Staff member
One of the first load boards I signed up for, before my authority even went active, was the JB Hunt Carrier 360 load board app. Upon getting my authority, I got aggravated in finding out that it wouldn't be activated until I had 180 days active as a carrier.

About 3 months ago, I used it for the first time. I had placed a couple bids on loads before that, but had never had one accepted. I have now accepted and completed about 7 loads. The system is simple, though it seems to be a learning experience for the brokers.

As of now, I am assigned to my 8th load through the JB Hunt 360 load board app. Apart from an accounting issue in the beginning, resulting in a late payment, the system has been good. They currently offer free quick pay and I am now submitting paperwork during the evening, and pay is being direct deposited the next day.

Only advice I have on taking advantage of the app is to try and book loads in advance. When you are days in advance, they seem to be quicker to accept higher rates. Once it reaches the point where they are also putting the load on the regular load boards, they are hesitant to offer good rates as they are getting phone calls from cheap carriers.

Oh yeah, one more piece of advice. If you are outbid on a load, and have reached your bottom dollar, don't withdraw your offer. Good chance that the lowest offer won't have a truck available when the rate is accepted, leaving the broker to contact your with another offer.

The only thing I don't like about the app is that you are able to see offers from other carriers, and they can see yours. This results in loads occasionally becoming an auction war, which is ultimately a race to the bottom in terms of rates. I have other carriers that will sometimes immediately offer a dollar less than my offer just to have the lowest bid.

Load board apps are the future. Get them, get used to them. It's not just the big carriers, big brokerages are developing these things as well.

I always thought the Uship model of bidding LOWER was dumb. But it was interesting that anyone could post a load. You could bid on moving a set of golf clubs or a couple kitty’s to fill out moving a backhoe.

Price is right of a dollar under would get old too. But I guess it’s fair play, you can see their bids too

Mike

Staff member
Price is right of a dollar under would get old too. But I guess it’s fair play, you can see their bids too
This is where I live the Convoy app better. You can bid on loads, but you better bid wisely as you don't see anybody else's bid.

tommyh

I got JB`s app,lots of loads on it
some cheap too but you can see the lowest bid
the book it now price and the lowest bid price look about 1/3 of the price lower

Mike

Staff member
I got JB`s app,lots of loads on it
some cheap too but you can see the lowest bid
the book it now price and the lowest bid price look about 1/3 of the price lower
Just remember, you don’t have to have the lowest bid to get the load. Lowest bid often doesn’t pan out because they already have a load and never remove their bid.

Some of their stuff is contract freight and will take desperation to get them to budge off of a crap rate. I seem to have good luck grabbing loads above market rate though.

Mike

Staff member
Had 4 offers submitted on the app yesterday, all of which were going back and forth on counter offers until I reached my bottom dollar for the day.

Then, another load from Toledo to Lincoln, NE popped up. Tossed in an offer, $100 over current market rate, and it was accepted first thing this morning, without any counter at all.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
Still prefer to work with people. The multiple pick deal I have coming out of WI is through the same guy, week in and week out.

So... what's your computer's name?

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
Kayla. 3rd load of hers that I have done. And, somebody local to where I live, virtually 5 miles or so away.
Siri's supposed ta be a *****, so yeah!

Mike

Staff member
Siri's supposed ta be a *****, so yeah!

Lol. You are dealing with people with this app. They now post all their loads on the app, and only use the regular load boards when they have to.

I like it.

Have a question about the load? Post it on the app and an answer will be given, in writing. I like paper trails.

Any other carriers had questions? You see those as well.

Detention? Always automatic, no need to request it.

I always email the brokers with updates. With this, just click a button and I’m done.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
Lol. You are dealing with people with this app. They now post all their loads on the app, and only use the regular load boards when they have to.

I like it.

Have a question about the load? Post it on the app and an answer will be given, in writing. I like paper trails.

Any other carriers had questions? You see those as well.

Detention? Always automatic, no need to request it.

I always email the brokers with updates. With this, just click a button and I’m done.
OK, I get it. It works for you. I've pulled a load for JB, and dealt with 360.

So computerized brokerages in general...

They lower all carriers to the lowest common denominator: If theyre dealing with you it's either because you're the cheapest guy out there, or your bid is good enough. That's it. Everything else is automatic or a click.

I'd still prefer to deal with a person. It isn't very difficult to stand out from the crowd in this business, because that common denominator is set so low. All I've had to do is conduct business professionally. This guy is calling me. I don't even have to log into a load board, he's working for me now.

2 cents worth...

dchawk81

They lower all carriers to the lowest common denominator: If theyre dealing with you it's either because you're the cheapest guy out there, or your bid is good enough. That's it. Everything else is automatic or a click.

I'd still prefer to deal with a person. It isn't very difficult to stand out from the crowd in this business, because that common denominator is set so low. All I've had to do is conduct business professionally. This guy is calling me. I don't even have to log into a load board, he's working for me now.

2 cents worth...
You do have a point. Computer apps and such are efficient but you don't get treated any better.

Mike Mike seems to be the exception to everything though.

Having said that, I like electronic means for the same reasons Mike does. It puts everything in writing.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
You do have a point. Computer apps and such are efficient but you don't get treated any better.

Mike Mike seems to be the exception to everything though.

Having said that, I like electronic means for the same reasons Mike does. It puts everything in writing.
Everything is in writing with a broker. The ratecon is a contract - all items important to completion of the load including terms for detention are written in it.

Mike

Staff member

2 cents worth...
Guess I’m a bit different than the majority out here.

Since the beginning, I have very rarely done business via the phone. For the most part, it’s been only in dead areas.

Most of my contact had been via email. I post my email on the load boards, and almost always get a deal done via that route. Sometimes, a broker will request a phone call as policy to seal the deal, but usually there is no phone involved, even when setting up with a new broker.

I decided in the beginning to embrace the technology because it’s simply the direction we are going.

You can bet that it won’t be long until you are submitting bids electronically via DAT, that is, if they want to stay relevant.