Jake Issues

mdrake67

I have a 2006 Kenworth t800 Heavy Wrecker with a c15 CAT we just picked up and the jakes are not working at all. When you flip the switch the retarder light comes on and the switch has power but the jakes do not work at all on any stage. Pulled the valve cover and inspected the harness and no chafes or broken/unattached wires. Checked the relay and its working. When hooked up to a Texa Laptop under parameters it shows engine retarder-disabled but doesn't give a way to enable it. Under all the retarder settings there is a Retarder-off/low/medium/high switch setting but the value shows J1/P1:23 & 40 and I can not figure out what this means. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

r3gulator3

IMA KEEP IT REDNECK
Supporter
Make sure your clutch switch is showing clutch at top, (I believe that = disengaged) and your throttle position sensor is showing 3% or less and engine temp over 140.

with the valve cover off if you use a pick and push the button in the center dose it kick the bank? Also when you do that does the solenoid leak oil?

mdrake67

This has the new style solenoid that you cannot manually kick, I will check the Clutch Switch and TPS quick and get back to you

mdrake67

Clutch Switch is showing off when clutch is at top and as soon as i touch it its showing on also tps is showing 3% when completely off the pedal. Now the water temp gauge isnt working and we diagnosed it down to the coolant temp switch. if that is not working properly would that cause the jakes not to work?

r3gulator3

IMA KEEP IT REDNECK
Supporter
Clutch Switch is showing off when clutch is at top and as soon as i touch it its showing on also tps is showing 3% when completely off the pedal. Now the water temp gauge isnt working and we diagnosed it down to the coolant temp switch. if that is not working properly would that cause the jakes not to work?
Gotta show 140 for jakes to work. It’s an engine protection thing.