Is Werner good?

Davezilla

I might be starting with Werner when I turn 21 in September now all I got to do is go to tdi to get my training after that iam applying to Werner and Covenent transport and us express iam trying to see who will give me a pre hire letter first I hope Werner does I want to drive with them to get my experience and after that iam going to Crete or Schaffer
Go for Crete first. Really. Stay the hell away from Covenant. They are extremely strict. They charge you for out of route miles, and they charge you absurd prices for idling over 30%. Someone said it was $5 per hour idling, when it costs maybe $2. My APU broke and they let me idle until they assigned me a Cascadia with 50k on it, which has opti idle and a backup battery pack deal.

Stay the hell away from Reefer, the shippers and consignees have extra time they are allowed to hold you, and boy do they use it. I am at a seaboard food in Guymon OK and my average wait at this place is 32 hours. On top of that, they threatened me when I turned in a overweight load. The wait times on Reefer just ruin the whole thing. Not to mention pay is awful.

If you are willing to move, Werner is great. If you have a family, its not so great unless you want to stay out 5 weeks away from them. That said, the fatality rate for Werner is half that of the other corporations which take new drivers. Werner is a huge leap above the other starters. I actually am training a CR England driver right now who is an excellent student, but was treated like scum by England. I cant believe they would do that to such a honest guy. Its insane.

But seriously, try to get into Crete first. They take new guys and those with a year experience. They dont want anything in between, as that shows a bad work ethic. They want fresh minds or drivers who have proven themselves. My next choice would be Werner, if you just want to get a years experience. They will work with you, but sometimes they are slow. Always working, but slow lol.

j911brick

I can't believe how companies treat their drivers, then they expect the government to bail them out at tax payer expense.

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
I can't believe how companies treat their drivers, then they expect the government to bail them out at tax payer expense.
I can't believe the way the workers at assembly plants treat drivers/ Taxpayers that saved their jobs. They took money from the poor to save the rich. I suppose they are entitled to it as the qualifications for working on the line are yo' daddy worked there or you knew somebody.

MisterSirJR

Don't do it

Werner (as well as other companies who hire students) have been on a hiring frenzy because they are SUBSIDISED by the Government for each student they take on. Drivers are fired more than drivers are quitting because of the bad employment situation and the fact drivers are easy to come by now. Companies like Werner who get the money for taking students have armies of students coming in. So they look for any reason to fire you or make you quit - drivers are cycled through like cattle. I was with Werner. First of all, they don't want you going to a terminal without dispatch approval. Other companies don't care if you go to a terminal to shut down or not. But I think Werner is afraid of Safety red tagging trucks. But when I was in terminals for repairs, I saw anywhere from 5 to 10 drivers with their bags packed and going home because they were fired for something stupid. Fired for idling (which they tried to set me up for by telling me the Qualcomm said the truck was idling 9 hours one day and 11 hours another when it was not), low production, late loads - etc..

Seriously, a company who hires armies of people all the time has problems - especially in this economy. The problem is that these companies are taking the subsidy money and running. In what "the big bad trucker" says: these trucking companies are hurting like most industries today. Well that does not give them the right to use students for the subsidy money and ruin their DAC report. Later when things get better, people still have a bad DAC report. RobW mentions the hit or miss thing with getting a good dispatcher. I missed big time, and Werner would not move me to another dispatcher board or region. I was stuck with what I had. As for attitude, mine did not go down the tube until it was obvious they would not lighten up, and would keep making my life a living hell. Lightningboy is one of the few fortunates who is having a good experience with Werner. In the hit or miss game, he hit, but he is among the few.

I have a long thread posted on reporting bad companies, and I am posting more. And I make no bones about using my real name. I am not saying things untrue to give a bad name to a company. They did it themselves. I have every right to speak of the experiences I had without leaving out anything - nor adding things untrue.
i just created an account here today but i can already tell u probably have a bad rep on this forum. why do you hate on every single company? there are starter companies. and then there are every other company. there are a lot of people that do make a decent living from these companies that you hate on.

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
i just created an account here today but i can already tell u probably have a bad rep on this forum. why do you hate on every single company? there are starter companies. and then there are every other company. there are a lot of people that do make a decent living from these companies that you hate on.
I would imagine that the hate-on comes from not being fully trained before being cut loose. How can a driver with 6 months experience train a new driver? Hell, That trainer will probably wash out in under a year!
Before you get started I was trainer after I had ten years under my belt.
A lot of good drivers work for "starter companies" others not so much.