Reefer Is it really THAT bad to yank an ice box?

Ontario Outlaw

Hozer Witta Hood
Supporter
He does it to simply talk smack with other drivers. Kind of how Marines make from of squids (and pretty much every other branch of the service, for that matter).
Yes, but open deck, like Marines, ARE better than the other branches....

:biggrin-2:

Fageol

Old acid hauler but not too caustic
If it’s dark and nobody notices we’ll let it slide
How 'bout when we have to use reefers between here in Anchorage and beyond to keep stuff from freezing; so the reefers become non-reefers (warmers?). Is yanking one of them behind a 45' flat (with a 2-axle converter) sufficient penance to induce forgiveness?

Mike

Staff member
How 'bout when we have to use reefers between here in Anchorage and beyond to keep stuff from freezing; so the reefers become non-reefers (warmers?). Is yanking one of them behind a 45' flat (with a 2-axle converter) sufficient penance to induce forgiveness?
They are cool if they are used as ovens.

Ontario Outlaw

Hozer Witta Hood
Supporter
You’re catching me on a good mood, so I’ll allow it

The skateboard leading the way is the saving grace

Plus you’re from Alaska (originally a Yooper) so you got bonus points going for you

Thunder Road

Reefer never pays time invested. You run all day and stay up all night getting unloaded. F that. The pay tends to be a bit higher yet is negated in unload times. If your reefer company offers off duty eld movement - run... it means they expect you to work while your sleeping!
I never had that problem pulling reefers; always get stop pay, detention pay after one hour, pickup pay, layover pay, etc.

Mike

Staff member
I never had that problem pulling reefers; always get stop pay, detention pay after one hour, pickup pay, layover pay, etc.
Great as a company driver.

As an owner operator, that detention pay is just about worthless when you end up failing to be able to haul you next load, or ultimately start completely shying away from reloading same day as you deliver due to this problem.

Fageol

Old acid hauler but not too caustic
Ontario Outlaw Ontario Outlaw . From what I saw, this pic of a reefer is the new pic in the circle on Sourdough's FB page.

The funny thing is that 90% of Sourdough's trailers are 45' flats (the long wheelbase tractors, as shown, are evidently, optimal for distributing weight as most lash-ups here use them). The overall length for doubles is 120 feet on the roads from Anchorage to Fairbanks and Anchorage to Homer. Doubles aren't allowed on other roads and not allowed on the Glenn highway beyond Palmer. So most trailers hereabouts, even reefers, are 45's. The converter dollies are short-tongued suckers that make for excitement when hooking up doubles.

On said Facebook page, although the pic of 2 long pipe loads heading up to the North Slope is much larger. I suspect that any home page featuring any reefer is sufficient for you to condemn a lash-up to frozen or firey hell.

I'm guessing that in your estimation, it's good that Sourdough and I parted ways in 2013. In my estimation, the separation was good for me as then I could care for my wife who suffered from Alzheimer's.

Here is the larger pic on the SDX Facebook page:

BTW, Only a few of Sourdough's line tractors (there are probably 50 of them) are not 379s. About five of the non-379s are W900s and at least one line tractor is an ugly little Volvo-looking Pete. But the KWs and the ugly Pete came after my time.

I'm sure glad that I got provisional forgiveness prior to seeing that featured pic on the Sourdought Express Facebook page. I think SDX is still looking for skinners. But I'm guessing that pretty Petes can never atone for having reefers in a fleet.