Reefer Is it really THAT bad to yank an ice box?

Ontario Outlaw

Hozer Witta Hood
Supporter
Ok buddy got back to me. As an example he said he has a round trip to Chicago pays the truck $2.70 CDN a mile, all miles. That’s not horrible but it also depends on how much sitting you have to do.
Also it’s Chicago :coocoo:

Is that normal money for yanking an ice box?

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
Ok buddy got back to me. As an example he said he has a round trip to Chicago pays the truck $2.70 CDN a mile, all miles. That’s not horrible but it also depends on how much sitting you have to do.

Ontario Outlaw Ontario Outlaw - reefer is seasonal, and until spring produce starts $2/mile US is kind of low. It's worse this year than most because Chinese imports are down , and that's got van/reefer rates depressed. It also depends on the local truck to load ratio as well. No, it's not a good rate for our segment generally.

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter

Chicago should not even faze you compared to the GTA. Chicago's traffic rep goes back to the days of toll booths every two miles and in every lane. Traffic is better now in Chicago.
Toronto is more congested

Ontario Outlaw

Hozer Witta Hood
Supporter
Chicago should not even faze you compared to the GTA. Chicago's traffic rep goes back to the days of toll booths every two miles and in every lane. Traffic is better now in Chicago.
Toronto is more congested
I’ll take Chicogoan drivers any day over Toronto putzs. Chicago is so old the turns are really tight to make, but not much different than Toronto downtown really

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
I’ll take Chicogoan drivers any day over Toronto putzs. Chicago is so old the turns are really tight to make, but not much different than Toronto downtown really
Same = Same.

I am happy this weekend they are tearing down 6 points interchange. AKA spaghetti junction. This is where Kipling/Dundas/bloor interchanged.
It was a nightmare in a car and almost undo able in a big truck.

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
Biggest thing I hate about Chicago is the random low clearances. Gotta keep your head on a swivel.
Pretty much if you are under the commuter train tracks it is probably to low to pass.
Kinda the same deal here in the "junction" most of the bridges are too low.

r3gulator3

Friendly Neighborhood Former Technician
Supporter
You are a mechanic you know how to lower the stacks for Chicago.
And then put them back before the company notices. :rolllaugh:
Eh, that’s too much work, and god forbid I scratch them. I just pay attention and in Chicago I always follow the company provided directions that to quote Todd in Saftey “have been getting us safely into these places for years.”

What scared me was following company directions to deliver plate steel in Chester PA their directions send you under a 12’9” over pass. If I’d of followed the GPS it would of taken me an extra mile but I would of been on us highway without an overpass and two left turns to get to the customer instead of one right and one left.
We crawled up to the bridge and the CB antennas tapped against the beams (those are 12’11”) creeped up and the stacks cleared...hammer down.

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
Eh, that’s too much work, and god forbid I scratch them. I just pay attention and in Chicago I always follow the company provided directions that to quote Todd in Saftey “have been getting us safely into these places for years.”

What scared me was following company directions to deliver plate steel in Chester PA their directions send you under a 12’9” over pass. If I’d of followed the GPS it would of taken me an extra mile but I would of been on us highway without an overpass and two left turns to get to the customer instead of one right and one left.
We crawled up to the bridge and the CB antennas tapped against the beams (those are 12’11”) creeped up and the stacks cleared...hammer down.
That reminds me of my crazy Uncle that ran flatbed. He took the Detroit - Windsor tunnel with the antennas ting-ting-tinging on the roof of the tunnel.
I think it was there in Detroit that Customs told him trucks are not supposed to use the tunnel.
He asked the customs officer if he wanted him to go back? :rolllaugh::coocoo:

nan

Supporter

My dad talked about a place like that. Wonder if it was the same one.

braylean

Yeah it was delicious, it was worth getting out of the truck and holding a flashlight for 3 minutes

No idea what he said to me, but he was smiling so I think that meant he was happy I helped
Not quite sure why you call us bottom feeders when there are some very respectable small reefer companies out there to work for, whereas dry van it is almost impossible to find a decent company, and it's the dry van companies that are pushing new people into trucks to fast and hiring drivers that couldn't drive a Subaru, let alone a truck. Granted there are a few reefer companies doing the same, but most of those are again owned by dry van companies. And reefer rates are always better than dry van, and there are more high paying reefer loads than dry van loads. Plus that reefer can snatch that high paying dry van load of it ever does magically appear. Reefer trailers are quite versatile and can haul many different types of freight. Skateboards are really the only more versatile trailer.

Thunder Road

I never had to worry about my company keeping me running when pulling reefers; can haul refrigerated, dry, hazmat loads in those trailers.

braylean

I never had to worry about my company keeping me running when pulling reefers; can haul refrigerated, dry, hazmat loads in those trailers.
You can also do bulk loose loads that are blown or conveyered in and dumped or vacuumed out more so because of the aluminum floor being less likely to have holes and leak. We have been known to haul parties this way and I have an owner operator friend that has done at least potato flakes and grain this way.

Sinister

Supermodel
Staff member
Supporter
Did I call you guys bottom feeders?

Irregardless take one spin around any truck stop. The reefer yankers gonna be the ones driving the biggest POS trucks.

Get cut off by a big truck? Gonna be a reefer yanker

See a fat slob in sweat pants and a tshirt used as a napkin for the last three meals waddle out to his truck? Gonna be a reefer yanker

It’s a general stereotype that probably isn’t fair to paint the whole segment with a broad brush stroke..... but it’s s stereotype for a reason

I’m not supposed to use the “H” word but they earned their spot at the bottom for a reason

Actually I disagree with this.

Advanced level reefer drivers have tons of knowledge.

Especially the LTL produce guys.

They know where to load what, what set points to put the unit on, many of hem can get into places in downtown areas at little mafia owned fruit wholesalers and all.

If you’d think for five seconds you’d be realize that as a group, they’re probably not the worst.