Reefer Is it really THAT bad to yank an ice box?

Ontario Outlaw

Hozer Witta Hood
Supporter
Buddy of mine called me last month, said he’s looking for skateboard pullers.

BUT then said he fills in slow weeks with reefer work.

Called me again this morning asking when can I start.

We all know, finishing out a slow week turns into latched onto a ****ing reefer for a week straight, if you let them

I’m honestly at the point where I don’t really care what wagon I’m dragging. EXCEPT reefer

AND I don’t think I’m ready to lose my self respect and dignity to pull a reefer. To be the scorn of an entire industry, at the literal bottom of the hierarchy......I don’t know if I could do it.

I think I’m going to pass unless it’s stupid good money. I’m looking to advance my career with new challenges, I think regular skateboard work plus reefer work is just going backwards. There’s not much challenge left in regular flats, there’s ZERO challenge in reefer

But, maybe it’s really good money :dunno:

If he’d said skates plus vans....we’d be talking more....just can’t get over stooping to reefer :coocoo:

AK7

I pulled a reefer for the 1st 9 years of my illustrious truck driving career. And for 3 years I pulled one part-time when the construction season slowed way down in the winter.
Part-time wouldn't be bad but I couldn't do it full-time.
Most of the grocery warehouses suck and treat ya like a 2nd class citizen.
Won't let you park early and kick you off the property as soon as your empty.
I'm glad there are folks that do it because I like to eat. Lol

Mike

Staff member
All joking aside, it really depends on the reefer freight he is booking, and the detention time you are being guaranteed.

Money is fine and the aggravation could be worth it if the compensation is proper.

Ontario Outlaw

Hozer Witta Hood
Supporter
I pulled a reefer for the 1st 9 years of my illustrious truck driving career. And for 3 years I pulled one part-time when the construction season slowed way down in the winter.
Part-time wouldn't be bad but I couldn't do it full-time.
Most of the grocery warehouses suck and treat ya like a 2nd class citizen.
Won't let you park early and kick you off the property as soon as your empty.
I'm glad there are folks that do it because I like to eat. Lol
That’s been my experience, too. Get treated like dirt for the “privilege” of delivering to their warehouse

If it’s an honest promise (HA!! Honest promise in trucking :rolllaugh:) that you’d be going out 5 days with a skateboard then shag a short load with an ice box, I could live with that, if the monies there.

Ontario Outlaw

Hozer Witta Hood
Supporter
All joking aside, it really depends on the reefer freight he is booking, and the detention time you are being guaranteed.

Money is fine and the aggravation could be worth it if the compensation is proper.
I haven’t heard anything beyond “you know me, I chase the money”

Start showing me contracts or rate cons and let the money talk. None of this “we don’t pull cheap freight” empty promises

r3gulator3

FLATBED GANGSTER
Supporter
Iso I find that refer yankers tend to be very confrontational towards me, I dunno maybe it’s the way I look or maybe they are just that angry at the world? Example:

Yesterday waiting to load a a lumber DC in Minneapolis, there is a refrigerated warehouse on the same street. Guy whips in blocks the road so no one can get in or out. Then another guy with a refer tries to leave. The whole road is blocked. I am parked on the shoulder hazards on waiting in line in my truck to get into the lumber dc. Dude walks up and starts screaming at me cuz another guy in a refer truck was out of his truck and if he moved the whole mess could be avoided. I’m talking red in the face screaming at me thru the window. I stepped out of the truck and politely asked, so you’re mad at me because he’s an idiot?

You would if thought I said nasty stuff about his mama. He wiggles out. Screaming profanity at me. I yelled over the top that maybe his stupid ass should find the driver of the truck that’s actually in his way. He just got redder and then another refer guy walked up and took him up to the guard shack.

Like geez man, why you so wound up?

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
Iso I find that refer yankers tend to be very confrontational towards me, I dunno maybe it’s the way I look or maybe they are just that angry at the world? Example:

Yesterday waiting to load a a lumber DC in Minneapolis, there is a refrigerated warehouse on the same street. Guy whips in blocks the road so no one can get in or out. Then another guy with a refer tries to leave. The whole road is blocked. I am parked on the shoulder hazards on waiting in line in my truck to get into the lumber dc. Dude walks up and starts screaming at me cuz another guy in a refer truck was out of his truck and if he moved the whole mess could be avoided. I’m talking red in the face screaming at me thru the window. I stepped out of the truck and politely asked, so you’re mad at me because he’s an idiot?

You would if thought I said nasty stuff about his mama. He wiggles out. Screaming profanity at me. I yelled over the top that maybe his stupid ass should find the driver of the truck that’s actually in his way. He just got redder and then another refer guy walked up and took him up to the guard shack.

Like geez man, why you so wound up?
There's a lot of drivers too wired up for their own good, and it doesn't matter what kind of trailer you pull.

IMO, this is just all part of Ontario Outlaw Ontario Outlaw obnoxious personal views of other people.

r3gulator3

FLATBED GANGSTER
Supporter
There's a lot of drivers too wired up for their own good, and it doesn't matter what kind of trailer you pull.

IMO, this is just all part of Ontario Outlaw Ontario Outlaw obnoxious personal views of other people.
I was stating that in my experience, they tend to be more confrontational with me, not saying all are that way.

Everyone has quirks.

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
We get a few reefers in our yard. From what I have seen is that they are really good at waiting. They must get paid well to wait or they are well disciplined in the art of waiting.
They wait for a door, they wait to get loaded, they wait for paperwork.
There is one company that shows up there everyday and there may or may not be a load there for them. They just show up.:dunno:
And wait to see if there is a load for them. That has nothing to do with us, that is their company that sends them to wait.

Hillbilly Canuck

We get a few reefers in our yard. From what I have seen is that they are really good at waiting. They must get paid well to wait or they are well disciplined in the art of waiting.
There is one company that shows up there everyday and there may or may not be a load there for them. They just show up.:dunno:
And wait to see if there is a load for them. That has nothing to do with us, that is their company that sends them to wait.
I don't like to wait. Even paid by the hour, I don't like to wait. I have better things to like drive, or dog **** elsewhere where it's not a muddy **** hole and I don't have to dress up like a pylon to go outside.

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
I don't like to wait. Even paid by the hour, I don't like to wait. I have better things to like drive, or dog ** elsewhere where it's not a muddy ** hole and I don't have to dress up like a pylon to go outside.
I hear ya! I don't like waiting even if I am getting paid. I have zero patience. I like to drive the truck, it's right in my job title, truck driver!

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
I don't like to wait. Even paid by the hour, I don't like to wait. I have better things to like drive, or dog ** elsewhere where it's not a muddy ** hole and I don't have to dress up like a pylon to go outside.
None of us like to wait. In the reefer world, most of our business is by appointment, unless it's specifically spelled out otherwise. Show up two hours early? Most days that means you get to wait the two hours plus whatever you'd get from being there 5 minutes early.

That's certainly better than those 0500 free-fer-alls where everyone showed up at the same time, and then waited for hours just to check in and wait some more.

Being treated poorly by the dock folks? It happens, but I think it was more prevalent years ago (see above), and probably had something to do with dealing with a bunch of grouchy, irritable drivers being awakened in the middle of the night, subjected to the mass chaos of an early AM truck rodeo.

Ontario Outlaw

Hozer Witta Hood
Supporter
Exactly!! If it’s MY choice to do nothing all day, well ok then. Sitting in YOUR parking lot waiting for someone to knock on my door sucks donkey dangle. I hate waiting at shippers

“dress up like a pylon”
:biglaugh: