Is it incredibly difficult doing a mostly on the road life with a pet?

Ideally, a small dog. Although I’m sure there’s someone out there driving with their macaw or chinchilla. I imagine the dog would be pretty amicable to it, provided they were walked regularly. It’s nothing I would consider eminently, I have too many other things to resolve first. But I have to admit I love the idea of it.
Thinking about a Shih Tzu or Havanese. I was never a little dog person, but we found my step grandmother a shih Tzu at the SPCA after my Grandfather died, and that dog has the greatest personality, she’s smart and hysterical.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
I would get a lapdog. ****zu, Pekingese or something like that.

A lab puppy is not ideal for a road dog IMHO, simply because of the level of energy and such a puppy has. As they get older they will likely be better.

We have a more senior Pekingese and a 12 month old lab. BOTH dogs have come out of the truck on me with a half opened drivers window. Not what I would have expected. The lab was in a city street with traffic and almost got hit. It was her first time ever going with me in the truck.

You need to take time to train them in the ways and workings around the truck as well. So be ready for that.

Hammer166

Instigateur №166™
I had a Lhasa Apso / Dauschund mix (about 25 lbs) who spent 6 or 7 years with me trucking. We walked a lot, taking hour long hikes whenever we could. I was also home most weekends where he had the run of our acreage. Just thinking about him waiting on the driver's floorboard every time the door opened, hoping to go run, still brings a smile.

The top of a blown over tree smacking the windshield was the beginning of the end of his trucking life. It got to where just the noise of the truck moving would make him burrow and quake. Spent the 2nd half of his life with my aunt.

Still miss my ragamuffin buddy.

FB_IMG_1574614357990.jpg

Now who's cutting onions this time of day? 😥

Injun

Rabid Squaw
Staff member
Supporter
Lots of truck drivers have those little yip yip ankle biter dogs in their trucks.

@Injun has one about the size of a pygmy rabbit.
Fixed that for you.

Indeed, I have an ankle-gummer, except she really isn't. I say "gummer" because she has no teeth. She's one of the most amicable animals I've ever had. I never saw myself with anything smaller than a Basenji (17" at the shoulder and 25# on average for the males), but this tiny critter managed to fix that. She wavers between 4.5-4.8 pounds and her back is *maybe* 10 inches long. There are pictures of her and her story in the thread titled "Maggie." She's one of the smallest dogs I've ever seen, but with a personality as big as Texas. ...and she's not a yip-yapper. She barks very rarely and it's always a surprise when she does. She's a perfect little traveler.

If you're considering a road companion, I recommend getting an adult dog from a shelter. Few reasons:

Puppies are a pain in the ass when you can have them in your house. It's their nature. They chew, they piddle, they jump around and they don't listen. Puppies take way more patience than I have time for.

Most adult dogs are already housebroken. If they're not, training them is usually much easier because adult dogs have a better attention span.

You know how big the dog will be because what you see is what you get.

Adult dogs are mellower than puppies or adolescents.

There is no animal more loyal and loving than a rescue.

Shelters are bursting at the seams with great pets that might otherwise be euthanized.

My geriatric MicroMutt just appeared at my doorstep, in a manner of speaking. I had no plans to get a dog. But if I had taken her to a shelter rather than the veterinarian, she almost certainly would have been euthanized. She was in absolutely terrible condition. I'm happy I decided to give her a chance. She makes me smile or laugh out loud every day.

undecided

This is something I've been thinking about too. Having had cats for 30+ years and lost my last one last year, I'm not ready for another one now, especially as I start driver training in a matter of days. I'm going to drive for a pet friendly company and could do this later, but want to make sure it works for all.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
This is something I've been thinking about too. Having had cats for 30+ years and lost my last one last year, I'm not ready for another one now, especially as I start driver training in a matter of days. I'm going to drive for a pet friendly company and could do this later, but want to make sure it works for all.
It shouldn't be a problem. Just make sure you don't leave getting critter supplies to the last minute, although many truck stops do have some pet supplies, planning on getting to a pet store should be done before you run out. Having a cat carrier will be necessary as they are escape artists. A working APU and air conditioner will be a requirement for warmer months.

(((ME)))

I been known to be away from home base for up to six weeks at a time and sometimes longer. I have a small diva baby (my dog that been with me for seven years now) that travels with me. She has her own suitcase of supplies needed for trips well stocked. Everything from shampoos for baths and towel, brush, foods, treats, potty pads, halters and lead leashes, toe nail clippers toys ect. Her carry case has pillow and blanket, water and food pans,toys. She been trained to ride in her carry case which is seat belted in threw the handles on case. I never allow her to use road side parks for her business....the reason for this i do not want her to come in contact with other dogs germs....which can make a dog sick. She uses potty pad and i do proper disposal. Her and I are best of pals and it my responiblity to protect and look after her....for this the reward I get is her unconditional love...which is priceless to me.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
. I never allow her to use road side parks for her business....the reason for this i do not want her to come in contact with other dogs germs....which can make a dog sick.
Vet actually cautioned about this very thing with dog parks.

Namely for dogs who are not accustomed to be around other animals who might be aggressive as well as those dogs who have parasites and their owners don't clean up after them.

quillcom

Saw a trucker doing the dog-walk thang with no less than 3 chiwawas running around his rig.

That'll keep you nice and busy wether actually otr/30/34-res/10(SB or split).

(((ME)))

Vet actually cautioned about this very thing with dog parks.

Namely for dogs who are not accustomed to be around other animals who might be aggressive as well as those dogs who have parasites and their owners don't clean up after them.
Totally agree.