Owner Operator Is it better or worst to lease onto a smaller fleet rather than one of the big ones?

Knight_Rider

I drove for Schneider National’s pick your own freight program as an owner operator which pays 65% + FSC and accessorial. Plus they didnt charge for any trailer costs and if there was one of their trailers at consignee then you were allowed to drop and hook.

If you had to travel
More than 25 or 50 miles (I forget) to find an empty trailer then SNI paid you empty miles to do so.

After 6 months I decided to leave and run for a smaller fleet which had about 150 of their own trucks and 100 owner operators.

They paid 90% of gross or 80% if you use their trailers and such. Either option got you their dispatch or you could use one or two of their loadboards to choose some freight yourself.

They didnt allow drop and hooks but if you wanted in on some of their company freight where you could drop and hook from time to time then you were paid 75% of gross.

Now I ran for this outfit for a year due to their proximity to where I lived and ease of parking.

In the first 3 months I realized that at 80% I was making the same or sometimes less than what I did at SNI at 65%.

I figured its ok its small company let me help out small business instead of making big business richer.

Turned out later on that they were actually skimming off the top from broker loads and then recreating new contract sheets for owner ops.

Example.. Broker paid them 3,000 for the load.

They are supposed to give us 80% of 3,000.

They would make a contract saying broker only paid them 2500 so now we got paid 80% of that. They skimmed 500 off the top.

Hence why we were making the same or less than SNI even tho SNI’s percentage was less than theirs.

In the end... my opinion... stick to the big guys that offer per entage of gross and have their own brokerage like SNI or JB Hunt.

dchawk81

Local company was doing that here too. They first paid drivers a percentage directly then they got greedy and set up an in-house brokerage and would double broker the loads. Basically the company would get the 3000 and the in-house brokerage would take a percentage of that then the driver would get their percentage off what remained, instead of off the 3000. Since the brokerage WAS the company, they were basically double-dipping.

They were shut down some years ago. Don't know if it was for that or something else but a lot of drivers left over it because they weren't even O/O. They were employees. The same runs kept paying less and less.

Ranger_375

I get 87% of the gross, and 100% of accessorials (detention, layover) for the load. I negotiate my rates directly with brokers so I know exactly what work is paying, and also directly determine what/where I run. My trailer and other static operational cost is a per week expense, but that is because it is a purchase thru the company. I am doing decent with more than adequate hometime on my own scheduling.

Zero complaints, minus having bought a high miles emissions truck due to the area I live. That part has hurt more than anything else, but I still am working, earning, and enjoying pretty much every day I wake up leased on where I am. The days I don't, its solely because of the truck, not due who I work for/with.

Knight_Rider

Yea, I told the company if I could have access to their CH Robinson board since that was where most their loads came from and they denied request.

Schneider has their own load board as well and yes they also double
Dipped but sadly even with their double dipping their prices were still better. I suppose they werent as greedy as the little guys.

Best thing is as Ranger said to get ability to negotiate your own loads because in the end everyone wants piece of that O/O pie of they can.

Ranger_375

Schneider will also use statistical information from the lease ops and use it to formulate viable dedicated routes. I have a few friends there, and they'd figure out something and if they didn't do specific switchups, they'd find their gravy run would just dissappear in around 2 months, on a constant production/delivery product with an ongoing contract with the pumpkin supreme.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
I get 87% of the gross, and 100% of accessorials (detention, layover) for the load. I negotiate my rates directly with brokers so I know exactly what work is paying, and also directly determine what/where I run. My trailer and other static operational cost is a per week expense, but that is because it is a purchase thru the company. I am doing decent with more than adequate hometime on my own scheduling.

Zero complaints, minus having bought a high miles emissions truck due to the area I live. That part has hurt more than anything else, but I still am working, earning, and enjoying pretty much every day I wake up leased on where I am. The days I don't, its solely because of the truck, not due who I work for/with.
Similar deal with my carrier. What you're really looking for is self-dispatched carrier that allows you to deal with freight brokers directly.

Mike

Staff member

Careful about the guy you are leased to, I’ve heard things. :stirpot2:

Johnson

Schneider will also use statistical information from the lease ops and use it to formulate viable dedicated routes. I have a few friends there, and they'd figure out something and if they didn't do specific switchups, they'd find their gravy run would just dissappear in around 2 months, on a constant production/delivery product with an ongoing contract with the pumpkin supreme.
Less than 2 months lol.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
Careful about the guy you are leased to, I’ve heard things. :stirpot2:
I heard the dude is sketchy as all git out.

Been known to take them out fishing and never return with them. Really shady like.

Had one guy, charged them an arm and a leg in fees.