Introduction and hello from England

ROAD MOLE

Hello I hope you don't mind me joining as I am not a trucker albeit I am a driver :)
I am from England and interested in researching Potholes. Obviously I know how things work over here and what is and what is not classes as a pothole but I would like to know about America. From what I have seen some of your potholes look like craters :( Is there a forum especially to post on Potholes or could one be set up? Either way I would like to find a thread or start one as information from you guys would be invaluable. Kind regards Linda

Duck

Bumper sticker slogan goes here
Supporter
Hello I hope you don't mind me joining as I am not a trucker albeit I am a driver :)
I am from England and interested in researching Potholes. Obviously I know how things work over here and what is and what is not classes as a pothole but I would like to know about America. From what I have seen some of your potholes look like craters :( Is there a forum especially to post on Potholes or could one be set up? Either way I would like to find a thread or start one as information from you guys would be invaluable. Kind regards Linda
Welcome.

I think potholes would fall into the "general trucking" category unless Mike Mike wants to create one for discussions of highway and infrastructure maintenance. That actually sounds like a good category to add. 👍🏻

RedLight07

Hi, welcome
But please Enjoy in UK the nice small country ... tight roads with more knowledgeable drivers from trucks to cars or bikers !!!
Cheers to that !
You guys are lucky in UK AND EUROPE !
All of you you work a great schedule there and full benefits medical ,dental ,vision and weekends off and a great paychecks.
About path-holes here they are working in sections from 3 km to 120 km at the time ,just in a very very few places they finish in 45-90 days but most of construction /infrastructure jobs take them from 6 months and up to finish.
And all that bc they have how the call in UK” a sign contract determined or undetermined “
Here in US is call a “union job” so nobody they fired this guys and they pretended they work and you see how our tax money they are flying away on the “brakes and talkings about the jobs site they have to finish”AND THEY NEVER FINISH TIN THE RIGHT WAY THOSE STREETS.
If you look on GERMANY how they are poring asphalt on the autobahn you going nuts ...
Here in US they NEVER poring 2 LANES in the same time NEVER !
They don’t have the equipment to do that ...
But I hope you get the point with construction on infrastructure/streets / bridges/ highways!

ROAD MOLE

Thank you all for your replies. It would be good if you do have a section for Potholes etc I have quite a few questions I would like to ask you guys and obviously do not wish to clog the introduction forum up.

Duck

Supporter
Thank you all for your replies. It would be good if you do have a section for Potholes etc I have quite a few questions I would like to ask you guys and obviously do not wish to clog the introduction forum up.
For now you can start a pothole thread in the general trucking topics section.

General Trucking

ROAD MOLE

Hello Duck I have had a quick look at how t post but I must be too tired as I can't see how to start it.
If you start it I will post tomorrow :) It is 11.30pm now and I must say good night. Kind regards to all

ROAD MOLE

Thank you Sue Ann I am sure I will get all the help I need from you all.

Redlight things are not as you think in the UK. Only the NHS is free but that is paid for from our taxes directly from our wages every week or month depending on how we are paid. You can afford better houses tha someone with the same job in UK as your wages are in general higher. Yes we do have lovely country lanes
but I know you do in certain parts over there too. Good night

Duck

Supporter
No one wants to fix the roads we have. So we have roads with craters. Goat trails. In lieu of super highways.
We have like a billion miles of highways and that costs a lot of money to maintain.

However the politicians constantly raid the highway maintenance funds and steal money from it to use for their pet projects like memorial statues for dead bureaucrats, planting flowers in their elective districts, bicycle paths, etc.

In addition to that, they make sure the paving companies that donate the most to their campaigns get all the sweet contracts, then they do a half assed job and the new pavement to make sure it needs redone two years later so they can soak the taxpayers again.

The corruption is rampant and there's nothing anyone can do about it. Anybody who tries, becomes the victim of a 3 year witch hunt.

Hanover Fist

We have like a billion miles of highways and that costs a lot of money to maintain.

However the politicians constantly raid the highway maintenance funds and steal money from it to use for their pet projects like memorial statues for dead bureaucrats, planting flowers in their elective districts, bicycle paths, etc.

In addition to that, they make sure the paving companies that donate the most to their campaigns get all the sweet contracts, then they do a half assed job and the new pavement to make sure it needs redone two years later so they can soak the taxpayers again.

The corruption is rampant and there's nothing anyone can do about it. Anybody who tries, becomes the victim of a 3 year witch hunt.
PA has raided over $4B from highway funds to subsidize the state police force. State legislators justify it by stating that it's for highway safety, but they're clearly running a bit fast and loose with the wording of the law. The last I checked, we were ranked as the 5th most corrupt state government system in the country (behind CA, NY, NJ, and IL).

ROAD MOLE

Have you reduced or increased your police force? Ours has been reduced dramatically. We have at least 7 pollice stations closed near me and we rarely see a policeman. We have an influx of people and a reduction of police.... The roads locally cannot cope with the extra traffic and I live in a failry quiet area.

I know some councils have extra money for the roads but they have spent in on other things.

I hope I wll get an answer to the phrases I don't know :)