International DTA 360 coolant filter shut off lever.

I have a 1993 International DTA 360, and it appears there is no lever for the coolant filter shut off. I looked at several photos of these engines on the internet and none of them have a lever, just a shaft to what appears to be a valve? On mine, the shaft sticks out just a little and has a hole at 12 o'clock on the shaft itself. So, can someone tell me if there is supposed to be a lever there or are you supposed to use some sort of tool (like vice grips..... I laugh) or what? I wanted to change out the coolant filter and didn't want to loose all the coolant. Any input would be so much appreciated. This is my first truck and I'm attempting to get everything in order on it. Thank you!

r3gulator3

Friendly Neighborhood Former Technician
Staff member
Supporter
Use a pneumatic coolant dam.

I was hoping there was someone out there with this engine that could shed some light on how it was intended to operate. If I have to use something like a coolant dam, I will, but would sure prefer as little spillage as possible. Here's a shot of just one such 360 showing the stem sticking out.
s-l1600.jpg
7i75i7o5.jpg

I'm beginning to realize that there is no handle on this and it must use some sort of tool, so I'm designing something in my head right now then. I'll document it when the time comes.

r3gulator3

Staff member
Supporter
Most of the time those valves are seized, they never get used, some had a lever on the valve and some you just used pliers to turn. Anyway turn the valve and you will have minimal coolant loss. Personally I would just use a pneumatic coolant dam.

Oh some also had a deal in the threaded part of the housing that the filter screwed on to that would stop coolant when you spun the filter off. But I don’t think that’s the case on the 360.

I haven’t worked on one of these in almost 20 years.

Thank you R3! The main concern here is spilling anti freeze on the ground on account of our kids, shown here! View attachment 44698 Even spreading plastic and using a bucket to capture any spilled antifreeze is a real concern, a huge concern. The reservoir tank sight glass is leaking slightly, and I believe there's an O ring behind it, but afraid to spin it off to see. I just keep wiping it dry every so often and monitor it but I need to get after it. Anyways, I appreciate the input!

r3gulator3

Staff member
Supporter
Thank you R3! The main concern here is spilling anti freeze on the ground on account of our kids, shown here! View attachment 44698 Even spreading plastic and using a bucket to capture any spilled antifreeze is a real concern, a huge concern. The reservoir tank sight glass is leaking slightly, and I believe there's an O ring behind it, but afraid to spin it off to see. I just keep wiping it dry every so often and monitor it but I need to get after it. Anyways, I appreciate the input!
No problem, don’t try to replace or reseal that sight glass. They either break coming out or the threads are damaged, a new steel tank isn’t very expensive, last one I picked up 2-3 years ago was only $25. Can’t imagine they are that much more these days.

Beautiful dogs ya got there.

Thank you sir! They're very dear to us.

Last edited: