Motor Carrier Insurance Rates have become Ridiculous for O/O

CocoPlum

just to even get a liability & Cargo crazy .. especially if you are coming over from leased to your own relatively "new"authority /MC . that doesnt count - they still hit you with a Ginormous rate.

Mike

Staff member
Depending on where you live, and experience, it can be crazy how expensive it is.

I’m under $7k per year. In some states, I would be paying in the ballpark of $30k.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
Depends what the underwriter company is too.

I could cut my rates by 1/3 if I wanted the go with a sub par company like Loyd's of London. Progressive is just a crap shoot what you'll get for rates. Some do good, and others will get raked over the coals.

Then you've got companies like; Lancer, Northland, great western, sentry just to name a few top tier insurance companies.

Not all are the same. Some will restrict reefer. Some will not cover OS/OD work. Some may look at your background and then restrict you based on history.

Last edited:

CocoPlum

Georgia State - the new Insurance commissioner is crap !! Progressive is quoting from 36k up - other quotes 28K etc.. for Liability and Cargo - and I am not even hualing the GOLD Bars yet !!

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
Sounds about right.

May be better off finding a carrier to lease on to.

But then you'd be paying them a commission that would likely be equal to the insurance.