Indian River Transport - Need information

FlatBroke

I have been asked to come to orientation just wondering if this company is any good.

Mike

Staff member
I'm sure you have already checked out their website, but if not, Indian River Transport

We are a long haul tank truck carrier and operate throughtout the 48 States and Canada.

Our primary interstate traffic lanes are between Florida and California, California and the Midwest, Florida and the East Coast, and the Northeast area.

We also operate local fleets at Winter Haven, FL and Tulare, CA.
I don't recall ever talking to any of their employees, so can't really tell you much.

GAnthony

Methuselah
Supporter
i have seen their trucks many times on the I-95 corridor of the country. but i cannot tell you any more than thier website, that they haul tankers. i thought at one time, they hauled orange juice up here then anything else later for backhauls, food products only...........so that a simple wash out will enable them to transport the OJ again..........

if its a tanker job, and you ain't affraid of heights ( you will have to climb up top occassionaly), then go for it.

FlatBroke

I'm sure you have already checked out their website, but if not, Indian River Transport
I don't recall ever talking to any of their employees, so can't really tell you much.
Thanks I actually found a driver who "drove" for them and recently quit.

if its a tanker job, and you ain't affraid of heights ( you will have to climb up top occassionaly), then go for it.
Thanks, I have 3 years tanker experience..

Well here is a post I just posted on another site about Indian River Transport.

I did a little more digging, and actually found a driver online who "drove for them"

I e-mailed him and ask him about them....His response was that they were ok, but he could not make enough money with them, that I could run legal if I chose too, and that a friend of his kept telling him the entire time he was there...."But you have a nice truck"

Well a nice truck is not what I want...I want to be able to stay legal, and make money.

I revisited the pay package e-mail IR sent me...It says "new 379 petes bla bla bla....Why include this into the pay package? This would not determine whether I would drive for them or not. It also has no mention of "wait" or "layover" pay. I also went to safestat and that almost scared me.

Anyway I have called them and canceled my orientation...awaiting some more phone calls from other companies.

GAnthony

Methuselah
Supporter
originally when i was looking up information, i went to safestat as well........what scared you....?? i didnt see anymore problems there than say Swift....in my opinion, they seem to be fairly good.........this is why i never mentioned safestat........

as for trucks, yes, why mention them...?? because they know that newbies will be wondering what the equipment is. and i too would rather have the money and benefits over a brand new truck. give me a DOT safe truck, and off i go...........

the pay package ought to be just that...........the money that you can earn, health bene's, etc,etc.

FlatBroke

originally when i was looking up information, i went to safestat as well........what scared you....?? i didnt see anymore problems there than say Swift....in my opinion, they seem to be fairly good.........this is why i never mentioned safestat........
DRSEA = 79.02 this figure was 82 something last night it has dropped a little.

Maybe I understood it wrong, but I thought the higher the number the worse it was?

Also there starting pay is .32 cpm, with a chance at a .04 cpm bonus but you have to run 12 to 13 thousand miles to even qualify, with no speeding or accidents and you have to maintain a 6mpg fuel avg to get this as well.

It sounded like to me from reading his e-mail that if he was not making enough money.....then me wanting something legal was going to be even worse.

Mike

Staff member
you can run legal if you want to, LOL

Translation - We won't force you to break the rules, but you will starve if you don't because we will be feeding the miles to our outlaw drivers.

I would avoid them as well

FlatBroke

you can run legal if you want to, LOL

Translation - We won't force you to break the rules, but you will starve if you don't because we will be feeding the miles to our outlaw drivers.

I would avoid them as well
But according to them "you can have a nice truck"..:nono:..It is pretty bad when a company has to go out and buy "bling" "bling" (shiney) equipment, and then offer that as a pay incentive to get you to come and drive for them. While no mention of the important part of the pay, wait time and layover.

Mike

Staff member
lol, it is amazing how much money those companies make off of drivers who are more concerned about the looks of their "ride" than they are concerned about the money they are bringing home.

for me, it is all about money, good benefits, and safe transportation.

FlatBroke

Well, I have decided to go take a chance with them. After all, it is an easy job, drive and wait drive and wait.

I checked into a couple other companies..food grade tankers and they still want you to lug around the heavy hoses and pump the loads off. This company does not carry hoses or pumps according to the lady I talked to on the phone.
I will leave next Monday and fly to Winterhaven, FL for orientation.:woohoo:

badhabit

ok that was three words, but in short 32c a mile to start,no paid detention unless the truck breaks on the road then 50 a day after 48 hours,no safety bonus, mileage bonus above 12000 if maintaining 6 mpg, just slowed trucks to 64 mph, hard to make mileage at that speed,and they pay short miles 500 a year vacation pay if you work the whole year dont take a FMLA period or no vacation pay, drivers break room not air conditioned company says drivers dont need a/c no laundry facilities at any terminal,yeah nice trucks but if you scratch em YOU pay, hit a deer? no picture of deer YOU pay, truck breaks if mechanic says driver fault YOU pay YOU pay for trip pack,

ronin

King of Karaoke
Got a friend who has been with them for just over 10 years...doesn't have to jikky his logs, if that's what you guys mean by "running outlaw". He likes the company a lot, makes decent money, and yes, drives a very nice truck.

roadking

indian river

hello drivers, i am a driver for indian river! i just what to clear the air with some of the driver looking to sign up! i got hurt on the job i was never treated so badly in my life as i was the day i called in !they took me out of my trk and put me in a hotel which was nice! i spent three days there then they took me out and put me back into my trk @ a small dumpy truckstop for 5 days and told me to stay there and not to drive nowhere then take the bus tickett they purchased for me to my home state! ( a 2 day ride ) with the injury i have i thought u people are crazy! i had a few options but they didnt pan out with getting home! i cant say a whole lot here because im seeking other routes! lol the trks everybody is talking about isnt that great their set at 64 mph no power! the bonus is great if u get it which i got 3 times out 12 months ! (no miles) the dispachters are great only 2 of them the others are a_ _ _ _ _ _ ! if u like to ride around in a slow trk and not make any money and get treatd horribly this is the place for u! yes im still a employee here layed up @ at home! PS to my trucker friends that know me be safe stay kool! see ya

patriciajnsn

Steering Wheel Holder
hello drivers, i am a driver for indian river! i just what to clear the air with some of the driver looking to sign up! i got hurt on the job i was never treated so badly in my life as i was the day i called in !they took me out of my trk and put me in a hotel which was nice! i spent three days there then they took me out and put me back into my trk @ a small dumpy truckstop for 5 days and told me to stay there and not to drive nowhere then take the bus tickett they purchased for me to my home state! ( a 2 day ride ) with the injury i have i thought u people are crazy! i had a few options but they didnt pan out with getting home! i cant say a whole lot here because im seeking other routes! lol the trks everybody is talking about isnt that great their set at 64 mph no power! the bonus is great if u get it which i got 3 times out 12 months ! (no miles) the dispachters are great only 2 of them the others are a_ _ _ _ _ _ ! if u like to ride around in a slow trk and not make any money and get treatd horribly this is the place for u! yes im still a employee here layed up @ at home! PS to my trucker friends that know me be safe stay kool! see ya
Companies have'nt changed since I drove for a large company.I now drive for small companies.If you don't mind me asking what kind of injury did u get while on the job?I understand u not wanting to take the bus home because of your injury but how else did u ecspect to get home?Companies are to cheap for rent a car.But u have to admit one thing at least they put u up in a real nice hotel.Many companies would never do that.Five days at a truck stop is a bit too much but what else can u do if you could'nt drive?

roadking

Companies have'nt changed since I drove for a large company.I now drive for small companies.If you don't mind me asking what kind of injury did u get while on the job?I understand u not wanting to take the bus home because of your injury but how else did u ecspect to get home?Companies are to cheap for rent a car.But u have to admit one thing at least they put u up in a real nice hotel.Many companies would never do that.Five days at a truck stop is a bit too much but what else can u do if you could'nt drive?
thanks for the reply! like i said i cant say a whole lot on here but the way i look at is the money they spent on the hotel and the fuel and the bus tickett i could have been at home in three to four hrs but instead it was 10 days!

Tn. Truckers Wife

That's awfull what happened to you roadking....That's the thing that soooo many people don't realize is, just how badly SOME of these companies can treat people...
Sorry to hear that...