I'm fat, you're fat... (Dieting)

Sinister

Order of The Gilded Flip Flop
Staff member
Supporter
...so it's time we did something about it. In this thread we measure our weight loss progress, and document our inevitable failures at losing weight. How that for a positive outlook?

This diet is going to be awesome, because we're not going to try very hard. We're really not...just small adjustments to diet here and there, and that's about it. You can even eat bacon and eggs!

My last few DOT physicals were pretty touch and go as far as Blood Pressure goes,and I even failed the crap out of one once, but that was because I had a skullblasting hangover and smoked a cigarette before I went in. In retrospect, not the best way to pass a physical. And my family doctor told me years ago, my A1C is pretty jacked up.

So, I've quit smoking (again) and now I have to start working on losing weight to lower blood sugar and BP, and generally live longer and get on more peoples nerves. And probably get hit by a bus when my rascal short circuits flinging me into traffic on a busy street.

My friend has been doing a loose form of the Paleo Diet, and since it requires very little effort, I think I'm going to try it. He has lost 35 pounds since February. If he can do it, I can do it.

I call it a lose form, because I don't think doing this job you can avoid things like processed foods and grains and carbs and dairy 100% of the time, but you can put forth an effort to limit the hell out of them.

Something has to work...I been hoping the voodoo spells I've been casting on myself for years would finally kick in, but they haven't. So I'm resorting to this. Actual effort. Provided I remember I created this thread, I'll check in from time to time, and document my (lack of) progress, and I invite y'all to do the same.

See that? I used the term "y'all"....this diet is already affecting my brain.

So yesterday when I got on the scale I was 184.5 pounds or so.

Sinister

Staff member
Supporter
I'm 5'6". Not exactly a sky scraper.

I blame my genes.

Duck

Quack
Supporter

I blame my genes.
Probably still look fine at 185. I'm 6 even & 230 or so. Something like that. Ain't stepped on a scale in years but aint' gotten any bigger or smaller since then.

My CDL says I'm 6'1" and 180 lbs but I don't know where the hell they got that info. It also says I'm blonde & I'm not.

Sinister

Staff member
Supporter
I "look" stunning, there's just no two ways about that, but my health freak doctor says on the inside there's problems lurking.

Seriously, I sincerely dislike this Dr. He blamed my wife for her diet once for like 2 years, and he usually blames his patients for just about everything. My wife complained of bloating in her abdomen EVERY time she ate any amount of ANYTHING and he told her she should change her diet. For 2 years.

She went to another Dr for something else (apparently females need lots of doctors for various things) and mentioned this, and he found out she had some sort of infection in her intestines...or an alien growing inside her...I dunno...but it wasn't her fault is the point.

This guy rides this stupid recumbent bicycle around town, and he's one of these annoying bike people that really pushes buttons by doing things like riding off to the side, but REALLY close to traffic. Just obnoxious like that.

I'm going to sleep now...I mean it....when I wake up I hope to be about 150 pounds.

Duck

Quack
Supporter
This guy rides this stupid recumbent bicycle around town, and he's one of these annoying bike people that really pushes buttons by doing things like riding off to the side, but REALLY close to traffic. Just obnoxious like that.
My dad does that.

I'd pretend to be all hurt & offended & all that **** but I'm drunk & kinda tired. Maybe tomorrow. What's 6 plus 12 minus 5? that's how many beers I've drank which is a lot for a lightweight like me. I can't handle my alcohol since I rarely ever drink any more.

I got carded for beer tonight by a chick who didn't even look old enough to be selling it to me. When she saw the year of my birth she said "holy ****". I don't quite know how to interpret that. o_O

terrylamar

It is a simple formula, burn more calories that you consume. I didn't say putting it into action was easy, but the formula is easy.

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
Dang! I'm 6'3 and 226 at my last weigh. I need to lose 30lbs. My, Well they say my blood pressure is high on the DOT physical. My Doctors blood pressure would be high if his job was on the line too.

I made a promise. eat chicken and fish and I do. Except when I get home it's pizza and beer. Last year I stayed out on the road and everyone at me Legion pointed out that I lost weight. I was running local and I packed on the pounds again.

Sinister

Staff member
Supporter
I woke up and I'm still fat. No progress yet.

DrDaliah

Supporter
agree with everything above. Cut calories, burn calories, cut carbs, more veggies, more fruit, increase muscle, etc. Weight watchers works the best and is the cheapest of all the diet plans but it works better if you can go with the classes and have the women cheer you on. Tough to get my guys to go.......

Here however are some practical quick tricks......

1. Drink a full glass of water 10 minutes before you eat
2. Cut meals in 1/2 and eat at 6 am, 10 am, 2 pm and 6 pm, rather than breakfast, lunch and dinner
3. Cut Chinese food.....the sodium and carbs seem to pack on more weight than Italian and Mexican if you can believe it.
4. No fried food....ever
5. Eat breakfast for dinner and dinner for breakfast - this amazingly works. Breakfast cereal (small bowl) with some fruit for dinner - while having your chicken/fish/steak in the am seems to psych out your metabolism and it works.
6. While driving, think of ways to exercise to up muscle fibers.....suck in stomach, flex biceps, butt flexes....yes even men can Kegel......

Just my humble opinion as I chomp on some left over chocolate cake......

** Commie Express **
Supporter

I blame my genes.
You should get those genes with the expandable waste line. You will look marvelous. Stay away from hiphuggers and bell bottoms also. Don't thank me. Just want to be helpful.

terrylamar

agree with everything above. Cut calories, burn calories, cut carbs, more veggies, more fruit, increase muscle, etc. Weight watchers works the best and is the cheapest of all the diet plans but it works better if you can go with the classes and have the women cheer you on. Tough to get my guys to go.......

2. Cut meals in 1/2 and eat at 6 am, 10 am, 2 pm and 6 pm, rather than breakfast, lunch and dinner
3. Cut Chinese food.....the sodium and carbs seem to pack on more weight than Italian and Mexican if you can believe it.
4. No fried food....ever
5. Eat breakfast for dinner and dinner for breakfast - this amazingly works. Breakfast cereal (small bowl) with some fruit for dinner - while having your chicken/fish/steak in the am seems to psych out your metabolism and it works.
6. While driving, think of ways to exercise to up muscle fibers.....suck in stomach, flex biceps, butt flexes....yes even men can Kegel......

The thought of giving up Mexican Food would make me give up any diet first.

Remember, we have to take a 30 minute break now, we should all be slimmer in no time.

I still say, get off your lazy ass, while eating a balanced diet, is the best way.

Cargo Commando

Walking around during that forced 30 min break sounds like a great idea! I think I'm gonna try it.

Duck

Quack
Supporter
For me, quite often that 30 minute break will probably be the only time of the day that I'll have time to eat anything.

Southern Fried

I'm 6 ft 4, do everything wrong and have never weighed more than 170 in my life. :tongueout: So far I've outlived three "health Nazis" who "used" to whine about my lifestyle. Be warned.:D

Injun

Rabid Squaw
Staff member
Supporter

4. No fried food....ever

I was talking to a Hospice nurse yesterday. She told me most of her younger patients are vegans and vegetarians who blame their terminal illnesses on meat they ate 20 years ago. Kind'a blows that theory of vegi-kooks living healthier and longer than everyone else (referring to another thread that was heinously hijacked) out of the water.

Modified Paleo is entirely possible for truckers. It's the diet I followed (without even knowing it) while I was OTR and before I got my dental braces. I lost 35 pounds effortlessly.

When I got my braces, I found out I had a difficult time eating foods that required a lot of chewing. I ended up eating a lot of grain-based and processed crap because it's all I could chew enough to swallow. I felt tired and hungry all the time, so I would eat more. I gained 10 pounds, despite my increased activity level. If it hadn't been for the increased activity, I probably would have regained the entire 35.

My braces came off 10 days ago. I am once again able to eat the things I like: fresh salad and meats with limited tuber-based carbs and even more strictly limited grain-based carbs. My processed (by that, I mean chemicalized) food intake has been reduced to almost nothing. I will snack on a few chips when I'm out with friends, but otherwise, none. I will still enjoy the occasional piece of cake or cookie and, unlike the Paleo diet, I eat and drink a fair amount of dairy.

I'm already comfortably back in my smaller pants.

Good luck with your diet. The way I work mine (contrary to our good doctor's wisdom) is a light protein breakfast if I have time, a big salad and meat meal in mid-afternoon and a very light snack late in the evening, usually some sort of carbs...like a small baked potato or the cake/cookies I "cheat" with...and a big glass of milk. Often, the evening snack isn't necessary at all. The only reason I eat anything at all in the morning is so I don't get grouchy from low blood sugar. If I didn't have that propensity, I wouldn't bother with breakfast all and I would eat my big meal earlier.

Sinister

Staff member
Supporter
Thanks.

I basically decided I was going to try this sometime around Jamestown, ND yesterday, because driving through ND takes so much concentration...

...anyway, implementing this is going to have to wait until next week because my grocery store trip didn't really have this in mind. Still, there are adjustments I can make without shriveling up too much this week.

Like I said....not trying very hard....

Duck

Quack
Supporter
Can you imagine what a person's life would be like if they followed ALL of the advice & "health tips" we see in magazines & TV ads & stuff every day? Avoiding everything that "causes cancer" or increases your chance of getting this or that, blah blah blah... A person would go insane just trying to keep track of everything they're supposed to do, eat, not eat, etc.