Identifying this old truck

As a small girl, I spent a great deal of time in trucks like this, with my dad, who did long hauls out of Detroit. This pic was taken about 1966, and I know it wasn't new. Can anyone identify the make and possibly close to the year? Thanks!

Attachments

r3gulator3

IMA KEEP IT REDNECK
Supporter
Can’t see the grill or head lamps in the pic you posted but this 1960 GMC seems to have very similar body lines.0E157639-8ED7-40DE-A492-69506F31E5E8.jpeg

I believe that's it, the lines are very similar. I thought it was a Jimmy or a White, thanks so much for figuring it out so fast. Great memories in those old trucks with no heat, ac or sleeper. And only a bench seat. Dodged weigh stations, got stuck under bridges, went over mountains no semi ever had before. I learned to use flares and smudge pots when I was 6, directing traffic when Dad had to back up multiple times around hair pin curves on mountains. Two sets of log books. I slept on a packing blanket in the floorboard lol. Thanks again, be safe out there!

r3gulator3

IMA KEEP IT REDNECK
Supporter
I believe that's it, the lines are very similar. I thought it was a Jimmy or a White, thanks so much for figuring it out so fast. Great memories in those old trucks with no heat, ac or sleeper. And only a bench seat. Dodged weigh stations, got stuck under bridges, went over mountains no semi ever had before. I learned to use flares and smudge pots when I was 6, directing traffic when Dad had to back up multiple times around hair pin curves on mountains. Two sets of log books. I slept on a packing blanket in the floorboard lol. Thanks again, be safe out there!
Jimmy would be GMC that was driver slang for them. Glad I could help.

Sinister

Supermodel
Staff member
Supporter
Sometimes I whine when I don’t get a shower or my gloves get old and my hands start to get dirty.

Duck

Nose-Man
Supporter
They don't call em Jimmy's no more? God I'm old lol. Thanks again, just showed the pic to my mom who agrees that's the truck!
Last time I heard "Jimmy" it was in reference to the GMC version of the early 90's model Chevy Blazer.

There's another Jimmy lol. I made a CD of all of my dad's old trucker songs years back and used the pic of the Haw's truck as it's cover. He loved it! And I HATED the cabovers lol

Sinister

Supermodel
Staff member
Supporter
Do you have to buy your own gloves?
I think they gave us an el cheapo pair when I hired on but they were the kind that make your hands stink. I buy my own.

I don’t know what they do now, the onboarding process is 100% different in just 3 years I’ve been here.

Fageol

Old acid hauler but not too caustic
Last time I heard "Jimmy" it was in reference to the GMC version of the early 90's model Chevy Blazer.
Here's a pic of my '88 Jimmy (like the noted K5 Chevy Blazer) that's generally my daily driver, although it gets a crappy 12 mpg, at most. It's a pretty good horse but sure doesn't ride as nice as the adjacent vehicles, an '05 Jeep and the (just barely visible) '98 Dakota.

But when around trucks I tend to associate the word "Jimmy" with the "Screaming Jimmies" that I drove for several lash-ups, particularly CF tankers. I wonder if those old 8V-71s ever made the claimed 318 HP?

Tulane19F12CFrontYard.jpg

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
Back in 1997 I was driving a 1973 GMC Brigadier. I know right?
But the new guy (rookie) gets the oldest POS to drive. I didn't know it was a "Jimmy".

Some drivers would ask me if it was gas powered? they said it sounded like it.
I didn't even know back then that they even had gas powered trucks. I hope this one was diesel, because that is what I was filling it with. :D

Duck

Nose-Man
Supporter
Back in 1997 I was driving a 1973 GMC Brigadier. I know right?
But the new guy (rookie) gets the oldest POS to drive. I didn't know it was a "Jimmy".

Some drivers would ask me if it was gas powered? they said it sounded like it.
I didn't even know back then that they even had gas powered trucks. I hope this one was diesel, because that is what I was filling it with. :D
Half the trucks we installed cranes on were Brigadiers.

The boss pronounced it "bridge a deer". 😅