I met a new VA voc/rehab person today at a group meeting.

Sam McCloud

I told him I wanted to drive trucks for a living. He told me about a driver who got busted for transporting hemp in this state, Idaho. This hill-jack hypocrite Mormon state is so anti-pot, they will try to hang you high for possessing hemp, a material in rope-making. This VA counselor said he didn't know the specifics of the driver who got busted.

I mean let's say I drove for Swift. It's a no-touch load that's sealed. I don't even get to inspect the load. Hypothetically, the shipper might have put contraband inside the trailer: drugs, stolen goods, bootleg booze and cigarettes, stolen money, explosives, guns, etc.

Can a COMPANY driver still get busted for a load of no-no stuff he didn't even touch or see in his truck?

"Your honor, I didn't know there was 1,000 kilos cocaine in my truck. My customer loaded this damned thing, sealed the door shut and the load was top secret."

Duck

Bumper sticker slogan goes here
Supporter
I told him I wanted to drive trucks for a living. He told me about a driver who got busted for transporting hemp in this state, Idaho. This hill-jack hypocrite Mormon state is so anti-pot, they will try to hang you high for possessing hemp, a material in rope-making. This VA counselor said he didn't know the specifics of the driver who got busted.

I mean let's say I drove for Swift. It's a no-touch load that's sealed. I don't even get to inspect the load. Hypothetically, the shipper might have put contraband inside the trailer: drugs, stolen goods, bootleg booze and cigarettes, stolen money, explosives, guns, etc.

Can a COMPANY driver still get busted for a load of no-no stuff he didn't even touch or see in his truck?

"Your honor, I didn't know there was 1,000 kilos cocaine in my truck. My customer loaded this damned thing, sealed the door shut and the load was top secret."
Yes they'll slam you to the ground and kick the **** out of you, destroy your stuff, steal the truck and lock you up.

GAnthony

Non-Canadian truck driver
Supporter
Yes they'll slam you to the ground and kick the **** out of you, destroy your stuff, steal the truck and lock you up.
they even take away all his Snickers and Milky Way and Mars Bars...

Injun

Rabid Squaw
Staff member
Supporter
Sounds like Mr. McCloud has some personal experience with hauling "hemp."

I'd say this is a case of knowing the laws of the States you're travelling through, much like concealed-carry permit holders are expected to. It is the responsibility of the driver, first and foremost, to know the laws. The reason for this is it's his ass on the hook for the cargo, whether the trailer is sealed or not. In the State of Idaho, until the law is changed at the legislative level, Cannabis and its relatives are not legal. I've been pretty vocal lately about changing this law. Idaho could use the tax revenue generated by controlled marijuana sales, much like Washington. However, if this shipment turns out to be hemp rather than marijuana, the driver will still be held to account. It will be under State statutes, though, rather than federal trafficking laws.

As far as Idaho being a Mormon State, we do have some LDS members, but they're mostly in the southeastern part of the State. Boise is about as sapphire Blue as you can get. There are more Seventh Day Adventists than LDS members around Boise.