How much life are you getting from your steer tires?

Mike

Staff member
I know this is a steer tire thread but, We burn through left, outside, rear drive tires in like 6 months.
It is always the same tire and it has been the same on three different trucks, So it ain't the truck. It is the application of the truck.
Your right.

It’s a steer tire thread ;)

Mike

Staff member
I used to normally get about 100k out of steers. We'll see if the wider, lower profile tires do any better. Between the stinger and the car over the hood generating side loads, the shoulders tend to take a beating and give out with ~8/32nds left in the centers.
We run load range J, as there are occasions where the steer is over 14k, although 13800 is a more typical weight.
I’m planning on sliding my fifth wheel most of the way forward (as far as I can without compromising the mudflaps), but not until I replace the steers.

Running 14 ply currently, going back to the 16 ply with the next purchase so I can carry more weight up front.

Hammer166

Instigateur №166™
Supporter
I recently had to replace the Michelin front right steer tire.It has been on my truck since March 2015
I usually run 60-68
I have been thru 2 tires on the left side since March 2015
to that one.Now I am going to try to get by this one place I know and get my front end checked and lined up
I’m planning on sliding my fifth wheel most of the way forward (as far as I can without compromising the mudflaps), but not until I replace the steers.

Running 14 ply currently, going back to the 16 ply with the next purchase so I can carry more weight up front.
What's your front axle, 13,200 or 14,600?

Mike

Staff member
Doesn't take much to get that much up there. My last two setback axle tractors ran around there full of fuel and less than a foot forward of axle centerline with the kingpin.
If the loads are loaded right, and when heavy, I typically run with around 11,500 up front. Figuring with the move forward, I will be sitting closer to 12,500 with the heavier loads.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
Where I have my 5th wheel set, I'm at 12,400 lb, at 79,000+ GVW. Having that gap cinched up a bit will yield a little better fuel economy too.

dchawk81

Where I have my 5th wheel set, I'm at 12,400 lb, at 79,000+ GVW. Having that gap cinched up a bit will yield a little better fuel economy too.
That's why I slid mine forward. I don't have fairings but every little bit helps. I'm running at a 7.48 according to the company.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
Thought those trucks were supposed to be 8 to 9 miles per gallon
When driven reasonably, yes. In what D dchawk81 does, he's balls to the wall all night long. 7.48 is probably pretty good - considering.

If you had the throttle pressed to the floor everywhere you go - no regard for terrain or weight, would you expect to get superior fuel economy? At 55, I can get in the 8's, especially limiting how much power I use on hills. If I'm pushing the same load at 70, no regard for hills, I'll get 6 - 7.