How many months does unemployment pay usually last for a newly pink-slipped driver

Trevor Peterson

from a mega carrier?

How much is the unemployment check usually?

How long does a new driver have to work to get unemployment?

What kind of workman's comp pay benefits do drivers disabled on the job normally receive?

Last edited:

Trevor Peterson

I don't know what that is. I've never filed for or collected unemployment in my life. So, somebody who normally makes $50K/year gross should collect how much a month on unemployment if eligible and he applies?

The last time I collected WC for on-the-job injury was in 2002: it was about 2/3 my normal per-month take-home paycheck.

Trevor Peterson

It's typically 26 weeks for unemployment.
What dollar amount for 26 weeks?

Knowing all these things in advance should give me a good idea of how much I should save toward a down payment for a new home once becoming a rookie driver and perhaps how many years I should be stable on the job before getting too deep financially. I understand there is mortgage protection insurance and other forms of insurance to guard against loss of income due to various causes including disability. I don't gather unemployment will help too well with keeping house payments up but WC payments might however. But of course I probably will have to be steady on the job so long before a bank, or perhaps my credit union as 13 years a member, will grant me enough credit to issue me a home loan anyway. We all wisely and pridently need a money safety net planned before getting buried in things like new houses and expensive cars. My credit score sits at about 700 now.

Last edited:

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
from a mega carrier?

What kind of workman's comp pay benefits do drivers disabled on the job normally receive?
Unemployment insurance is administered by the states, so payments, length of time, etc, is up to each state. They can budget their own money to make benefits last longer, or be more generous, or fall back on what the Feds provide as a minimum.

Trevor Peterson

I'm considering moving to and working in Indiana in the near future and buying a new home there over the next five years while real estate values are still low there. Get while the gettin's still good.

Johnson

I don't know what that is. I've never filed for or collected unemployment in my life. So, somebody who normally makes $50K/year gross should collect how much a month on unemployment if eligible and he applies?

The last time I collected WC for on-the-job injury was in 2002: it was about 2/3 my normal per-month take-home paycheck.
Unemployment is approximately 350 max per week. If you qualify for max benefits.
And it's totally depends on how much you earned during a specific time period.
It's based on quarterly earnings.
Four quarters in a year.

Disability is a whole other ball game and can vary by state. I spent a year on it back in 93. I was fortunate that the company was based in Oregon and not in my home state Nevada.
I would have recived not much more than unemployment if it was based on Nevada calculations.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
I'm considering moving to and working in Indiana in the near future and buying a new home there over the next five years while real estate values are still low there. Get while the gettin's still good.
Why are you worried about unemployment in this industry? Theres always some outfit hiring drivers, because there's plenty of employment churn.... freight still has to be delivered. Don't get in an accident, keep your MVR clean, and employment won't be a problem. Do stash money away... if the wheels aren't turning, you're not earning, and savings evens that out.

GAnthony

Methuselah
Supporter
from a mega carrier?

if i recall, it can last for 26 weeks, but you can get an extension.

the weekly checks start about nearly 3 weeks, after you file, then they come weekly. that first check you do get after waiting, will be all the weeks you had to wait.

i believe you get (about) 60% of your weekly pay, and that unemployment money, IS TAXABLE as well....

after the first 26 weeks, they send you forms to fill out, that you were seeking employment, and you MUST mail that form in, at the end of each week, or you get no checks.

you also have to call the phone number they give you, to confirm you still need your check for the previous week.

you will get all that information in the letter they send you....IF you are approved for unemployment compensations.

i also believe that direct deposits are available...

Electric Chicken

Jock
Supporter
You won't need unemployment, especially from a mega, unless you f up big time.

WC depends on the state and how much you earned. I kept my bills paid and then some.

Ontario Outlaw

Hozer Witta Hood
Supporter
You’re not even working as a truck driver yet and you’re worried about ....

Don’t lob insults or both your asses are gone for good. Have a nice day. -sinister

Last edited by a moderator: