How many miles did you drive today?

Hammer166

Instigateur №166™
Sub zero? Oh yeah screw that. I have to mess around with zip ties on frozen chassis pins. It sucks. Thick gloves don't allow the dexterity, thin gloves get wet and worse, bare hands unprotected altogether. There's no win.
Get some Thermastat glove liners. If you do have to pull the bulky outer glove, at least you're not barehanded. And they provide decent warmth when wet, too.

I spent 2 hours pulling and loading yesterday in - 5 with wind. Toes got chilly because I forgot to put wooly socks on, but other than that stayed completely comfortable without even breaking out the long johns. T-shirt and pants, thick hoodie, bibs and coat. Liners and winter gloves. And put on a warm hat! The loss of dexterity definitely sucks, though.

20191209_103115.jpg

Electric Chicken

Supporter
Get some Thermastat glove liners. If you do have to pull the bulky outer glove, at least you're not barehanded. And they provide decent warmth when wet, too.

I spent 2 hours pulling and loading yesterday in - 5 with wind. Toes got chilly because I forgot to put wooly socks on, but other than that stayed completely comfortable without even breaking out the long johns. T-shirt and pants, thick hoodie, bibs and coat. Liners and winter gloves. And put on a warm hat! The loss of dexterity definitely sucks, though.

View attachment 53524
Help me out what are these Thermastat glove liners you speak of? Is that the brand?

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
633 long hard loud grueling hours speeding along at 65 mph.

I shouldn't Feel too bad. Last time I did that same route I could barely make 580 miles in a day

Guess that isn't so bad considering that's from Steele ND to three forks Mt.

According to the MT scale, 64,000# gross.

65% #1 diesel, running west to Seattle and idling 10 hours last night got me 4.5 mpg. -15°F overnight temps....

Them open spreads sure ride nicer than closed.

2019-12-10_17.51.08.jpg

For those wondering what that behemoth is.....

Doin' what it's s'posed to do...

Last edited:

Shreck

As soon as I quit heavy haul I pretty much lost my tolerance for ball shrinking cold like this. My hands would get really cold, then hurt REALLY bad as they were warming up again. It lasted quite a while until they warmed up.

I don’t even try to mess around for extended periods in sub zero temps anymore.

Sometimes the ten minutes to drop and hook a dry van is more than enough.
I have one more round to Ohio and back. Then headed to Florida till after the first of the year.

Hammer166

Instigateur №166™
I did a whopping 360 miles today. Should have been 440, but there was parking at Grand Forks and an adult beverage was desperately needed. I can always PC tomorrow. 😁

Duck

Kleenex
Supporter
I did a whopping 360 miles today. Should have been 440, but there was parking at Grand Forks and an adult beverage was desperately needed. I can always PC tomorrow. 😁
What have you been doing way the hell up there in Eskimo territory anyway? Seems like you're always up there. You been selling cars to Inuits?

Hammer166

Instigateur №166™
What have you been doing way the hell up there in Eskimo territory anyway? Seems like you're always up there. You been selling cars to Inuits?
They get behind up here , or it gets slow at home. I'm sort of the floater, and get a few percentage points extra because of it, so I don't mind.

Electric Chicken

Supporter
Back when I was a kid I worked at Food Lion. Me and the butcher would trade insults during break time. His favorite was "I wouldn't **** you, you're my favorite turd."

Then he said "Boy I've **** turds bigger than you."

I said "That's not surprising considering how much you take in the..."

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
613 today.

Didn't seem too bad until the last 150 miles. I90 was socked in with fog, snow and rain.

Rookies were dangerous on Snoqualmie pass. Driving 35-40 when main flow was running speed limit

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
And lemme guess... lots of flashers constantly going!
Yeeeop.

I pulled into the rest area just before Snoqualmie to let him and the pack get ahead of me.

Turned out he pulled off too. Looked like a trainee out getting his first mountain run.

Good move pulling off though. Had clear roads and no pack around me all the way into North bend