How many loads won't make it Monday?

RamblingPete

I'm sure it won't be an issue in some states , but I can see a few states just salivating at the money to be made Monday. Trucks will be lined up , possibly in some cases a mile or more , in states like New York, New Jersey, Virginia, California... Maybe Illinois . Trucks in some cases could be less than an hour from their Destination but can't make it because they spent two hours playing with DOT and their new ELDs. Some will have multiple violations showing on their electronic logs , which aren't ACTUAL violations but simple errors that they don't know how to fix yet so they'll be shut down .
There's an irony to it though . Basically if DOT was to go hog wild nationally then it could cause a day of such chaos that everybody who's been screaming how ELDs is a Doomsday bomb waiting to explode will be all out and about Tuesday saying " I TOLD YOU SO ! "
I personally do think at first it will be a nightmare...but that said it will also show how delicate the dance we do as truck drivers really is and maybe our input will finally stop falling on deaf ears . Guess we'll know ... Tuesday morning.

Mike

Staff member
There will be plenty of this. plenty of people who cannot figure out how to get the app bluetoothed to the ELD, tons of phone calls to the support numbers for the ELD companies, and ultimately, lots of people who just run their trucks in violation because they didn't take the time to learn the device ahead of time.

Fun times!

RamblingPete

Yeah , I'm sure a lot of it will be due to lack of effort. But there's a lot of older drivers , not picking on them just being Frank here , that still can barely use or don't use a smart phone . Now there expected to understand tablets and apps and they looking at people explaining this stuff like their talking in a foreign language. Actually for some people, tech talk is a foreign language. I mean I still see people using flip phones , and I'm not even talking about ANDROID flip phones , I mean the old first generation digital flip phones LOL .
Fact is many of today's older drivers are skilled labor from factories and other industries who's jobs have been shipped over seas and because the didn't understand computers or just couldn't afford to take time to learn any tech skills they did the next best thing . They got a CDL because despite all the crap we talk about this industry, there is still always a paycheck with our name on it somewhere...but now people again are being pushed out of being self efficient by government actions .
Sad thing is the Progressives will want to use them as numbers to increase spending and Conservatives will call them lazy thieves that want a free ride ...and neither side will say " HEY , OUR LOUSY MANDATE DID THIS TO THEM " but instead just point blame elsewhere.

Mike

Staff member
But there's a lot of older drivers , not picking on them just being Frank here , that still can barely use or don't use a smart phone
This is going to be a factor for older owner operators. Back when the company I used to work for went to electronic logs, we had a guy who ended up retiring. Good driver, but older, and he just couldn't figure out running a log book off of a blackberry. He constantly had violations. I tried to help him, but he ended up just giving up. It was sad watching him struggle, especially knowing he could do the job just fine.

lots of older drivers out here running paper logs, and clueless about technology.

RamblingPete

Yep. It's sad but in reality I think the best drivers the industry has to offer are the ones gonna get the dirty end of the stick . My dad is a multi million miler ... But I don't think he'd ever be able to drive again with the ELDs . Especially since he's been retired for two or three years . Good thing though is he knows all the brokers and has years of expertise so next time I'm ready to buy a truck and run under my authority, I'm gonna see if he'll partner with me as my broker .

Hillbilly Canuck

I'm running a reset Sunday night to Tuesday morning. It's probably for the best.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
I'm sure it won't be an issue in some states , but I can see a few states just salivating at the money to be made Monday. Trucks will be lined up , possibly in some cases a mile or more , in states like New York, New Jersey, Virginia, California... Maybe Illinois . Trucks in some cases could be less than an hour from their Destination but can't make it because they spent two hours playing with DOT and their new ELDs. Some will have multiple violations showing on their electronic logs , which aren't ACTUAL violations but simple errors that they don't know how to fix yet so they'll be shut down .
There's an irony to it though . Basically if DOT was to go hog wild nationally then it could cause a day of such chaos that everybody who's been screaming how ELDs is a Doomsday bomb waiting to explode will be all out and about Tuesday saying " I TOLD YOU SO ! "
I personally do think at first it will be a nightmare...but that said it will also show how delicate the dance we do as truck drivers really is and maybe our input will finally stop falling on deaf ears . Guess we'll know ... Tuesday morning.
Yep.

Not that the whole truckin' world pays attention to this little corner of the universe, but I've posted a couple of times about Prime's conversion to eLogs seven years ago. They spent a few months working with just one truck. Then started expanding that to more trucks on that one dispatchers fleet over 9 months. Then took the lessons from that, and Incorporated that into the process of moving the entire company over during the entirety of the next year.

It's an educational process not just for the driver, but for the folks backing him up in dispatch, load planning and sales.

So yeah, for a lot of small carriers, next week is going to be a nightmare. Not because of the change, but because of their procrastination. It's not like this was sprung on the industry with no notice... we've had years to get ready.

Last edited:

Duck

Quack
Supporter
Van W lost most of their old timers when the elogs went in the trucks in 2009 or whenever that was.

"When the e-log sticker goes on one door, I'm going out the other".

They'd been with the company for 20 + years. Gone. Bye bye.

They were an older generation. Men of their word. Not spineless **** talkers like the vast majority of their drivers who said they'd quit but didn't.

dchawk81

I wonder how many "spineless **** talkers" actually TRIED the elogs and decided for themselves that they really aren't so bad...maybe even better...and not worth quitting a good job over. Perhaps a job that feeds their family.

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
I am going to give a little credit to REAL truck drivers here, It didn't take that long to figure out how to manipulate paper logs. It won't take that long to figure out how to use the ELDs to the drivers advantage.
Sure, I used to do the outlaw thing and then went to running legal on paper and then to ELDs.
My very first thought was how can I make these ELDs work for me?
Most trucker providing they are semi-Technologically literate will do just fine.

Monday will be like last Monday. People are making way to big of a deal about this.

Lots of folks run from change. Purposely complicate simple systems to prove their worst fears about them.

tommyh

around here,they are making a big deal out of it,but they are making a way bigger deal of avoiding the slow to load shippers,slow to unload recievers and sorry bokers who won`t pay decent

AK7

Somehow,spilling coffee on this tablet didn't have the same result as a paper log.

Hammer166

Instigateur №166™
Supporter
Monday will be like last Monday. People are making way to big of a deal about this.

Lots of folks run from change. Purposely complicate simple systems to prove their worst fears about them.
Had dinner tonight with a bullhauler friend. He was telling of being shut down behind an accident and hearing all these drivers whining that their truck was fixing to shut down as they were running out of hours.

Dammit, stupid needs to be more painful!

Latest posts