New To Trucking How does a driver predetermine CONTROL SPEED for an upcoming downgrade?

Ontario Outlaw

Hozer Witta Hood
Supporter
What the **** does this mean?

I ran into another TMC driver who runs mostly south east. Who told me that Monteagle was such a treacherous pass. I smirked. He was like what’s funny. I said go out on a two week run and tell em you want to go to Washington. Make sure you get over Fourth of July pass Look out pass and snoqualmie pass. Then get a reload out of kettle falls. (30 miles from Great Falls BC) make sure it’s winter and ask for the cascade load going to southern Utah. He was like what? I said that long 6% that’s almost straight will seem like flat highway after you make those runs.

He called me a dick and said something about my mother. I asked how long he’s been driving. He said 10 years. My jaw hit the ground. I said how long with TMC. He said a few months. I says ok. Well I didn’t mean to be a dick but, I’m just saying there’s far worse. Who did you work for before. He mentions some smaller carrier that runs the south east. I says, damn man you live a sheltered life. Walked back to my truck.

Maybe I have the wrong approach with people. Maybe I am a dick. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Im ok with you being a dick

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
RPM-wise, yes. Being able to hold without brakes sounds like the advise of a 90-day rookie, whose never seen a 7% grade at 80,000 lbs. That's why.
Smoking brakes aren't controlling your truck now is it super trucker.

If you feel it's being a 90-day rookie, then sobeit.

I care to be able to stop when I CHOOSE, regardless of speed

As was pointed out, going down a grade with a "trucks 25 mph" speed sign is pretty damn foolish to run at 55-60+ mph.

If YOU want the hit on your license, feel free to drive 25+ over the speed limit. I don't.

Learned a long time ago, slow and steady wins the race, not stupid and fast.

r3gulator3

Friendly Neighborhood Former Technician
Staff member
Supporter
going down a grade with a "trucks 25 mph" speed sign is pretty damn foolish to run at 55-60+ mph.
So running is 212 across SD there are a couple spots marked 25. I’m not going to lie. The first time I went over it I missed the trucks 25 sign and started down the grade at 60. I saw the curve coming and slowed to 45 and the curve was easy enough. Then I saw the sign, and an elk. I jammed by brakes and my stick and lost 20 quick. Not as scary as coming thru Lame Deer Montana and seeing wild horses standing in the road.

Ontario Outlaw

Hozer Witta Hood
Supporter
I’ve been wondering this for awhile.

Are the low speed limits, runaway ramps and the brake check areas left over from yesteryear?

I mean I’m not advocating running grades at 85 mph because in today’s age we have jakes and better brakes. There’s a spot on 219 in PA or NY that has a 20 mph speed limit, a brake check area at the start of it, a brake check area halfway down, and at least one if not two runaway ramps. It’s steep I’ll give it that, but holy macaroni it’s not THAT steep to warrant all that BS. I’m sure 30-40 mph be ok, kick the jakes on and take your time.

That’s not the only one.

The one coming into Lewiston ID, yes, that one warrants extra vigilance and I understand why you take it slow there

r3gulator3

Staff member
Supporter

Are the low speed limits, runaway ramps and the brake check areas left over from yesteryear?

I mean I’m not advocating running grades at 85 mph because in today’s age we have jakes and better brakes. There’s a spot on 219 in PA or NY that has a 20 mph speed limit, a brake check area at the start of it, a brake check area halfway down, and at least one if not two runaway ramps. It’s steep I’ll give it that, but holy macaroni it’s not THAT steep to warrant all that BS. I’m sure 30-40 mph be ok, kick the jakes on and take your time.

That’s not the only one.

The one coming into Lewiston ID, yes, that one warrants extra vigilance and I understand why you take it slow there
My brother says some of the speeds have been dropped since he started driving 15 years ago.

He blames it on poorly trained and inexperienced drivers having wrecks on the mountains.

Ontario Outlaw

Hozer Witta Hood
Supporter
My brother says some of the speeds have been dropped since he started driving 15 years ago.

He blames it on poorly trained and inexperienced drivers having wrecks on the mountains.
Maybe but the ones I’m thinking of are hardly mountains

The Rockies, Snoqualmie, the other ones you brought up and others have as well need a little respect.

I ran Monteagle last winter and didn’t see the big deal

r3gulator3

Staff member
Supporter
Maybe but the ones I’m thinking of are hardly mountains

The Rockies, Snoqualmie, the other ones you brought up and others have as well need a little respect.

I ran Monteagle last winter and didn’t see the big deal
YouTube made the guy remove the video but there was a video from 2014 of a guy in a black 379 dash cam going over monteagle at 85+ if you time the mile markers and do a little math there are point where he’s triple digits weaving lanes to avoid traffic.

Ontario Outlaw

Hozer Witta Hood
Supporter
YouTube made the guy remove the video but there was a video from 2014 of a guy in a black 379 dash cam going over monteagle at 85+ if you time the mile markers and do a little math there are point where he’s triple digits weaving lanes to avoid traffic.
That’s awesome!

I was empty on I44 pulling 90 mph through Misery and had a bullhauler (empty) pass me like I was doing 55. We ratchet jawed a bit then he was gone

:biglaugh:

Hammer166

Instigateur №166™
RPM-wise, yes. Being able to hold without brakes sounds like the advise of a 90-day rookie, whose never seen a 7% grade at 80,000 lbs. That's why.
I'm sorry, are you actually saying that hanging on the Jake and not using the brakes is the wrong way to go down the mountain? Really?!?

Because the south east style of flying downhill with the brakes one hard application from blowing into smoke just isn't my style. Those are the guys who come out west and catch brakes on fire. As mndriver mndriver pointed out, I'll be able to stop no matter what. See far too many guys who wouldn't have a chance if something happened in front of them.

BTW, I cross Monarch at 84000# a few times a year. And when I'm working in Colorado, I see Loveland at least once a week at #80000. And never touch the brakes unless I've got a slick load on.

r3gulator3 r3gulator3 , the joke we used to tell was that the southeast boys where so scared of Cabbage, they'd have their brakes got before they ever even got to the steep part of the hill!

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
Last time I went down cabbage, there was a fleet truck down the hill just as you came past the rock cut into the big left curve.

Not sure how he got down that slope.

dchawk81

Supporter

I ran into another TMC driver who runs mostly south east. Who told me that Monteagle was such a treacherous pass. I smirked. He was like what’s funny. I said go out on a two week run and tell em you want to go to Washington. Make sure you get over Fourth of July pass Look out pass and snoqualmie pass. Then get a reload out of kettle falls. (30 miles from Great Falls BC) make sure it’s winter and ask for the cascade load going to southern Utah. He was like what? I said that long 6% that’s almost straight will seem like flat highway after you make those runs.

He called me a dick and said something about my mother. I asked how long he’s been driving. He said 10 years. My jaw hit the ground. I said how long with TMC. He said a few months. I says ok. Well I didn’t mean to be a dick but, I’m just saying there’s far worse. Who did you work for before. He mentions some smaller carrier that runs the south east. I says, damn man you live a sheltered life. Walked back to my truck.

Should have been all caps. AFAIC As Far As I Care or As Far As I'm Concerned.

In other words, I'll crawl down as slow as I need to and don't care who's behind me getting mad.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
Smoking brakes aren't controlling your truck now is it super trucker.

If you feel it's being a 90-day rookie, then sobeit.

I care to be able to stop when I CHOOSE, regardless of speed

As was pointed out, going down a grade with a "trucks 25 mph" speed sign is pretty damn foolish to run at 55-60+ mph.

If YOU want the hit on your license, feel free to drive 25+ over the speed limit. I don't.

Learned a long time ago, slow and steady wins the race, not stupid and fast.
I'm sorry, are you actually saying that hanging on the Jake and not using the brakes is the wrong way to go down the mountain? Really?!?

Because the south east style of flying downhill with the brakes one hard application from blowing into smoke just isn't my style. Those are the guys who come out west and catch brakes on fire. As mndriver mndriver pointed out, I'll be able to stop no matter what. See far too many guys who wouldn't have a chance if something happened in front of them.

BTW, I cross Monarch at 84000# a few times a year. And when I'm working in Colorado, I see Loveland at least once a week at #80000. And never touch the brakes unless I've got a slick load on.

r3gulator3 r3gulator3 , the joke we used to tell was that the southeast boys where so scared of Cabbage, they'd have their brakes got before they ever even got to the steep part of the hill!
Last time I went down cabbage, there was a fleet truck down the hill just as you came past the rock cut into the big left curve.

Not sure how he got down that slope.
You two jerks and the idiot are the supertruckers around here.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter

That’s not the only one.

No.

They're the result of supertruckers flying down those grades, and killing themselves - and the four wheelers around them.

Duck

Trump
Supporter
If that's the video I'm thinking of, the guy was in a bobtail.

Nomad1

I live in the area of Monteagle. The part that I-24 goes across is not that bad in good weather. For some reason we have Frito Lay and Little Debbie trucks on their side pretty often. The bad thing is that those guys are probably local since Little Debbie is about an hour away in Chattanooga and Frito Lay is about an hour away in Fayetteville. The back roads in that area can get hairy fast. If we get a little snow even I-24 gets bad because TN sucks at clearing ice off the roads.

r3gulator3

Staff member
Supporter
I live in the area of Monteagle. The part that I-24 goes across is not that bad in good weather. For some reason we have Frito Lay and Little Debbie trucks on their side pretty often. The bad thing is that those guys are probably local since Little Debbie is about an hour away in Chattanooga and Frito Lay is about an hour away in Fayetteville. The back roads in that area can get hairy fast. If we get a little snow even I-24 gets bad because TN sucks at clearing ice off the roads.
We were talking about 24. I imagine them back roads can get twisty quick. Arkansas back woods is the same way.

Duck

Trump
Supporter
We were talking about 24. I imagine them back roads can get twisty quick. Arkansas back woods is the same way.
I had to get off on the goat trails and bypass some wreck around there once.

Just take that fan switch and set it to "on" instead of "auto". It'll save some wear on the clutch.

It's just constant up/down/up/down at low speeds.