How’d you learn what you know?

r3gulator3

Friendly Neighborhood Former Technician
Staff member
Supporter
Reasonable advice except the part that convinces newbs they should be running below the speed of surrounding traffic to the left of the granny lane - you know 55 in lane 2 when everyone else is doing 80ish.
The company I was with at the time supported your claim here saying to stay in the far right lane when possible. It was all local in town stuff for them.

Hammer166

Instigateur №166™
Reasonable advice except the part that convinces newbs they should be running below the speed of surrounding traffic to the left of the granny lane - you know 55 in lane 2 when everyone else is doing 80ish.
That's been added over the years, it wasn't part of the Smith system I remember from way back. (UPS, late 80's) It's much easier to keep track of nearby vehicles when you are running at or just above average speed (my preference when possible.) I'm all for moving over a lane when there's a lot of traffic coming on/off the exits, but this crap of grabbing the middle any time there's 3 lanes needs to stop. Especially if you are well below traffic speeds.

But the core of the system is how you drive, if you're good at it. One almost seems clairvoyant to a casual observer (far too many drivers, j/s), who is often surprised by events that someone using those techniques has already predicted and taken action to avoid. A lot of motorcycle time (act like you're invisible) helped me be a better driver, too. It greatly reduces one's dependence on other's actions to safely navigate the highways.

Hillbilly Canuck

How many times have you shifted to the left for a developing situation you already see just to have cars come flying past on the right squeezing out at that last second letting you know you're number one like you're the problem here?

Every.
God.
Damned.
Day.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
How many times have you shifted to the left for a developing situation you already see just to have cars come flying past on the right squeezing out at that last second letting you know you're number one like you're the problem here?

Every.
God.
Damned.
Day.
The last second suicide lane change from the hammer lane to the exit ramp you're almost past, 3' in front of your bumper? Yeah. Smooth move.

Hillbilly Canuck

The last second suicide lane change from the hammer lane to the exit ramp you're almost past, 3' in front of your bumper? Yeah. Smooth move.
That's a good one too. That don't even faze me anymore. If they die they die. I can't account for ALL the stupid.

Injun

Rabid Squaw
Staff member
Supporter
Not so smooth for the truck with the collision avoidance system. Slams the brakes for you and if you're not wearing your seat belt, it'll send you through the windshield. Hate when people do that. Vegas is the worst for that kind of crap. People cross the gore at exit ramps. all. the. time.

Ice.
Welp.
Gravel is not always the be-all for traction on ice. Last week, I left from my house in the Idaho Panhandle to head out for my day's deliveries. There are a few times a month my load goes past my house, so I just take the whole thing home and start there. Somebody called for freezing rain and I waited as long as I could to get moving. I was pointed uphill on the gravel road I live on. So, I hit the axle lock button and went for it. Got about halfway up and lost traction. I came to a complete stop, tractor not going up or down, just stopped. And looked in my mirror.

There is no more helpless feeling in the world than sitting at a complete stop and watching your trailer slide sideways. There is absolutely nothing you can do about it except pray it stops before the tires go in the ditch.

It did stop and I was able to straighten it back out, but I couldn't go forward to do it. I had to back down that hill and straighten everything out at the same time. Do that while your leg is shaking so bad from the adrenaline rush that you'd think you're having a grand mal seizure. Got back on the flat in front of my house, pulled the air brake and went back in to change my britches. Then, backed out and did a three-point backing turnaround to get out of there. Yeh, it sucked.

Once I got on the highway, it was just water. That's what we tell ourselves. It's just water. Some water is harder than other water, but it's just water.

Right?

Guys?

Injun

Rabid Squaw
Staff member
Supporter
Back onto a set of chains and getter dun.
There are times that you can't trust the parking brake to hold your stuff. The last place I want to be when that's the case is at the rear wheels messing around with chains. That's how drivers get dead.

Sinister

Order of The Gilded Flip Flop
Staff member
Supporter
Not so smooth for the truck with the collision avoidance system. Slams the brakes for you and if you're not wearing your seat belt, it'll send you through the windshield. Hate when people do that. Vegas is the worst for that kind of crap. People cross the gore at exit ramps. all. the. time.

Ice.
Welp.
Gravel is not always the be-all for traction on ice. Last week, I left from my house in the Idaho Panhandle to head out for my day's deliveries. There are a few times a month my load goes past my house, so I just take the whole thing home and start there. Somebody called for freezing rain and I waited as long as I could to get moving. I was pointed uphill on the gravel road I live on. So, I hit the axle lock button and went for it. Got about halfway up and lost traction. I came to a complete stop, tractor not going up or down, just stopped. And looked in my mirror.

There is no more helpless feeling in the world than sitting at a complete stop and watching your trailer slide sideways. There is absolutely nothing you can do about it except pray it stops before the tires go in the ditch.

It did stop and I was able to straighten it back out, but I couldn't go forward to do it. I had to back down that hill and straighten everything out at the same time. Do that while your leg is shaking so bad from the adrenaline rush that you'd think you're having a grand mal seizure. Got back on the flat in front of my house, pulled the air brake and went back in to change my britches. Then, backed out and did a three-point backing turnaround to get out of there. Yeh, it sucked.

Once I got on the highway, it was just water. That's what we tell ourselves. It's just water. Some water is harder than other water, but it's just water.

Right?

Guys?

Actually we had a software update that removed the sudden dynamite of the brake at a stationary object while at highway speed.

So there’s an update out there but how many companies are up on it I don’t know.

Sinister

Staff member
Supporter
LTL Reefer sucks.

LTL Reefer for a private fleet - also sucks.

Moneys decent I suppose.

I learned this courtesy of our hired carrier in Mankato falling on their face in this last snow storm.

Hillbilly Canuck

I learned not to pull the red knob in winter from seeing several door swingers having to go bang on trailer drums. As such, I never pull it unless I'm dropping a trailer year round so it's habit.

I learned to pull the spike as well as push in the red after you hook up a trailer before you walk around. Dumbass green as babyshit me learned that one the hard way when I pulled out of the yard with a loaded trailer and the drives were hot as a firecracker at the first coffee stop. That blue gladhand wasn't hooked up as well as I thought. Luckily it was flat ground slow roll through town. I've found many air leaks this way as well and it's good to see how well trailer brakes grab before you pull out. I can't understand them making a truck with no spike but apparently they do.

Not so smooth for the truck with the collision avoidance system. Slams the brakes for you and if you're not wearing your seat belt, it'll send you through the windshield.
The stuff I've heard about those "systems" is enough to make me not drive there. It's WAY too much of a driver's market here to be accepting things like that or cameras staring at you or being told exactly how to get somewhere. If you don't trust me any more than that don't hire me. Simple.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
My thinning questions have always been, "Are you willing to do about anything to limp a truck into a service center for repairs off the interstate? Or at least to get it off the shoulder if you can?"

Almost guaranteed they start on some tirade of how a company can't force you blah blah blah.

All I hear is "I'm a lazy **** who will whine about everything."

Last edited:

dchawk81

Supporter
My thinning questions have always been, "Are you willing to do about anything to limp a truck into a service center for repairs off the interstate? Or at least to get it off the shoulder of you can?"

Almost guaranteed they start on some tirade of how a company can't force you blah blah blah.

I got a truck back to home base with a full derate.

Apparently there's a sweet spot on the clutch that lets you get 30mph out of it when empty and it tricks the engine into not killing the speed because it's not engaged but the switch thinks it is.

Probably took a little life off the clutch but it was old, end of life, and cheaper than a tow and I'll be damned if I'm waiting around in a day cab for $10/hr.

Can't do that with an automatic though and I'm not driving 5mph for hours on end to save them a tow bill. But I'll get it off the road if possible.

Hillbilly Canuck

900 miles home from Nebraska like this because they didn't want to hit a shop and be down for a couple days. Also I was about to go on home time.

Sinister

Staff member
Supporter
My thinning questions have always been, "Are you willing to do about anything to limp a truck into a service center for repairs off the interstate? Or at least to get it off the shoulder of you can?"

That reason alone is why I don’t like the wide single tires.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
I asked one guy a question if he'd brake an air line to a parking brake on the trailer. Service brakes still functional.

Would you cage the spring brake and zip tie the air line to get you home to fix it in the shop?.....

Holy Hanna broken brakes Batman. You'd have thought I'd asked him to betray HRC.

He was gonna report the company to the Dot, he was being expected to operate an Out-of-service piece of equipment. Illegally. Time to call the US Marshalls.

I asked him if he know of a book from cvsa that gave oos criteria. Was he aware you could have a percentage of brakes non-functional.

I was so out of touch. I had no business running a trucking company . On and on and on....

And then I told him I wasn't interested in leasing him on..

It was a personal insult how I wasn't willing to bring someone on of his caliber......

Yeah, he'd have been one of those big into #BSM.