Hiring after 3 years of not driving

Betty N Ray

Are there any companies that are hiring someone that has not driven in the last 3 years. I have 2 years experience, but came off the road for family reason and now I need to get back out there after being out of a truck for 3 years. Good MVR, I have a medical card that expires this July, and need to work. I prefer local in the Atlanta area, but at this point I will take what I can get.

BirchBarlow

I love KW 680s
Are there any companies that are hiring someone that has not driven in the last 3 years. I have 2 years experience, but came off the road for family reason and now I need to get back out there after being out of a truck for 3 years. Good MVR, I have a medical card that expires this July, and need to work. I prefer local in the Atlanta area, but at this point I will take what I can get.
Look practically anywhere makes a new-hire take a road test and thats State Regulations where ya new or seasoned veteran.

Id try local first although "explain" your circumstances.

As long as ya know how 2 drive they gonna road test anyways cause they are required to

If that dont work just bite the bullet and burn a Mega Carrier for 6 months or so and ya wont even have to sign a contract for school after orientation theyll burn ya a week in a team truck 2 make sure and assingn ya your own..

As long as you know what ya doing and already got it try "local" first and just be nice n humble tell em your situation theyd be more understanding than ya might think

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
You're going to have a problem getting insured with the layoff. Many carriers will want some kind of refresher course. Those that don't will not have trouble throwing you under the bus if you get in trouble.

Last edited:

BirchBarlow

I love KW 680s
You're going to have a problem getting insured with the layoff. Many carriers will want some ki D of refresher course. Those that don't will not have trouble throwing you under the bus if you get in trouble.
This ecomony is heating up and starving for drivers "supposedly"..

If got license , Fed Med, and most importantly know what ya doing and can pass a simple new-hire road test in like flynn

GAnthony

Methuselah
Supporter
You're going to have a problem getting insured with the layoff. Many carriers will want some kind of refresher course. Those that don't will not have trouble throwing you under the bus if you get in trouble.
the 2 schools i had taught at, would have many people going back for refresher training, of the minimum of 40 hours...(one full week).

there would be students, that graduated, and got thier CDL, but held back on either deciding what company to go to, or balking at the idea of OTR companies.

not too many local companies here, hired right out of the schools.

as a result, one month, 2, or 6 can go by, and now the companies DEMANDED a refresher course, at a price above what they allready paid or got a loan for.

so being out 1 year, 2, etc, only adds to the refresher training scenario in most instances.

the insurance companies have a final say in who gets hired. not the employer.

the company Rohel, had a minimum of 30 days, to get to them once you accepted a job....don't show, or have an excuse, they push you for retraining....or go someplace else.

BirchBarlow

I love KW 680s
the 2 schools i had taught at, would have many people going back for refresher training, of the minimum of 40 hours...(one full week).

there would be students, that graduated, and got thier CDL, but held back on either deciding what company to go to, or balking at the idea of OTR companies.

not too many local companies here, hired right out of the schools.

as a result, one month, 2, or 6 can go by, and now the companies DEMANDED a refresher course, at a price above what they allready paid or got a loan for.

so being out 1 year, 2, etc, only adds to the refresher training scenario in most instances.

the insurance companies have a final say in who gets hired. not the employer.

the company Rohel, had a minimum of 30 days, to get to them once you accepted a job....don't show, or have an excuse, they push you for retraining....or go someplace else.
Ya that why I never made it at them big corporate companies..

Too much B.S. and way too "structured" for a "Flake" like me..

Go find the Industrial Parks and find those small companies or factories that run their own fleet of trucks..

If ya countryside try grain elevators too..

Pass a pee and road test "HIRED"

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
Ya that why I never made it at them big corporate companies..

Too much B.S. and way too "structured" for a "Flake" like me..

Go find the Industrial Parks and find those small companies or factories that run their own fleet of trucks..

If ya countryside try grain elevators too..

Pass a pee and road test "HIRED"
Most folks don't look at total bottom feeders as being an attractive career choice. Even they can't dictate to insurance companies who gets insured. No insurance, no seat.

BirchBarlow

I love KW 680s
Most folks don't look at total bottom feeders as being an attractive career choice. Even they can't dictate to insurance companies who gets insured. No insurance, no seat.
You calling me a "bottom feeder"...

Betcha in 10 phone calls and a pee test Id be in a truck next week

Duck

My other car is a POS too
Supporter
If ya countryside try grain elevators too
The one around here pays ten dollars an hour. I laughed at the guy.

It sucks though because I think it would be a cool job. Running all over the county in a day cab & like a 40 foot trailer. Get to meet all the farmers, talk about antique tractors n stuff. But nobody can live on $10/hr. I bet their drivers are all ESL no habla ingles senor.

BirchBarlow

I love KW 680s
The one around here pays ten dollars an hour. I laughed at the guy.

It sucks though because I think it would be a cool job. Running all over the county in a day cab & like a 40 foot trailer. Get to meet all the farmers, talk about antique tractors n stuff. But nobody can live on $10/hr. I bet their drivers are all ESL no habla ingles senor.
$10 an hour..

Co-Op paid by The Load ..

Then again even when ya made "good' time why they wanted a 3rd run.

So Id hit Plasma 7am when they open and put $40 in my pocket show up about 9am

Then theyd "bleep" whats this crap showing up 9am

Eh I told ya "upfront" only way 2 turns Joliet is gonna WORK is DROP n Hook lets get it on....

Welp the "Other" Guys are doing it..

Good 4 them say why dont ya find some more..

braylean

Freymiller has a refresher course, no set time with a trainer from what I understand, just when you and your trainer feel you are ready to go solo you come in and test. And I'm pretty sure we don't team on training trucks. This is an otr job though, they run regional but only up the center of the country. We do run around Atlanta a lot on the otr trucks, I'm up there close about once or twice every couple of weeks, we don't run the NW States Montana, North Dakota or South Dakota or new York City. We go pretty much every place else with our main haunts being east LA, Dallas, Houston, Indiana, Florida, Pennsylvania (this one not so much since tolls went up again), Atlanta and the Carolinas mainly just east of Atlanta. My average trip is 1200+ miles and generally stay between 2800 and 3500 miles per week. They don't coddle though, if you come here, be prepared to stay out three weeks at a time at least to make decent money because of the long runs and keep that left door closed and then wheels turning and that truck on time. If you do this, they will run you tail in the ground and you'll make good money here and be treated by name and with respect. Be lazy, and they will starve you out, simple as that and personally that's the way I like it too be.