Hi there

Hello everyone,
Where do I start? I've been a realtor for the past 17 years and quite frankly I'm burned out! I'm 55 y.o. and I need to make a change. I have done very well in the real estate industry and have gotten to do some cool stuff, was even on House Hunters. I live in Los Angeles and I've seen some amazing homes along the way. The most expensive one being over $57 million dollars. I'm at the age where I'm tired of chasing deals and chasing clients. Back when I was 19 y.o. I did have my Class A license and loved driving. I was a local driver. So now, I'm thinking I want to do it again. I see all these companies that offer "free" CDL training which I think is great! I've been talking to a Swift recruiter about it and I'm really excited to get back out there. My goal is to learn from them, see the country for a year, then find a tanker job locally in the Phoenix area (that's where I'm moving soon) and finish out my working years doing that. Is this a pipe dream? Am I crazy to think this will work? I don't know, maybe. But its my plan. Any advice or whatever you have will be greatly appreciated.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
Hello everyone,
Where do I start? I've been a realtor for the past 17 years and quite frankly I'm burned out! I'm 55 y.o. and I need to make a change. I have done very well in the real estate industry and have gotten to do some cool stuff, was even on House Hunters. I live in Los Angeles and I've seen some amazing homes along the way. The most expensive one being over $57 million dollars. I'm at the age where I'm tired of chasing deals and chasing clients. Back when I was 19 y.o. I did have my Class A license and loved driving. I was a local driver. So now, I'm thinking I want to do it again. I see all these companies that offer "free" CDL training which I think is great! I've been talking to a Swift recruiter about it and I'm really excited to get back out there. My goal is to learn from them, see the country for a year, then find a tanker job locally in the Phoenix area (that's where I'm moving soon) and finish out my working years doing that. Is this a pipe dream? Am I crazy to think this will work? I don't know, maybe. But its my plan. Any advice or whatever you have will be greatly appreciated.
1. Are you crazy? Well, yes, but that's a prerequisite. You'll do fine.

2. Advice? Always know what the back of your trailer is doing!

Welcome to the insanity.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
Drive your mirrors. The truck will follow.

It's common for people your age to come to trucking for exactly what you're describing.

Some of us went off the rocker years ago and came back to it.

Hammer166

Instigateur №166™
Just be aware going in that OTR is a meat grinder. And that with Swift (or any of the megas) you'll be micromanaged to the point you'll wonder if they're gonna start telling you when to pee.

Please, don't think I'm trying to discourage you, that's not my intent. But give serious consideration to alternates to the 'free' training schools. You'll come out a much better driver if you do! Check into community college programs, private CDL schools, or smaller companies offering training. Consider the mega schools your last option.

Welcome, and good luck with your dream!

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
Just be aware going in that OTR is a meat grinder. And that with Swift (or any of the megas) you'll be micromanaged to the point you'll wonder if they're gonna start telling you when to pee.
They actually do tell ya when you got to pee.
You have been selected at "Random" for a drug screening test.

Electric Chicken

Jock
Supporter
I mean I would and did avoid OTR with megas but if I was desperate I'd do what I had to do.

I'd rather be a realtor than an OTR driver...or heck even a local driver though. But it's always easy to think the other choice is better.

I just think if I was a successful realtor in Cali I'd consider myself way too good to let millennials at a mega boss me around.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
I just think if I was a successful realtor in Cali I'd consider myself way too good to let millennials at a mega boss me around.
We're aware of th' excellent opinion you hold of yerself...

:rolleyes-80:

I mean I would and did avoid OTR with megas but if I was desperate I'd do what I had to do.
You are aware that some drivers thoroughly enjoy OTR, and the associated lifestyle? Further, there are other ways to drive for larger carriers other than being "bossed around" (isn't that your station in life at SNI?) by know-nothing, 20-something, twerkers.

Just sayin'...

r3gulator3

FLATBED GANGSTER
Supporter
You are aware that some drivers thoroughly enjoy OTR, and the associated lifestyle? Further, there are other ways to drive for larger carriers other than being "bossed around" (isn't that your station in life at SNI?) by know-nothing, 20-something, twerkers
I am one who thoroughly enjoys being an OTR driver and the “lifestyle”. I work for a larger company as a company driver and I sure the **** don’t get bossed around or *****ed at by anyone.

I had a substitute FM as mine was on vacation. He thought he was going to get loud and pissy and swear at me on the phone. Because I didn’t get the truck washed the week before. When he started yelling and cursing. I said calmly. That may work on your other drivers, but you just threw professionalism out the window. Now I’m going to professionally hang up my phone and all further contact had better be by QC message. And hung up the phone.

Ops manager calls and asks me what happened. I explained and explained my wash plan. He said very good and I went back to work.

Electric Chicken

Jock
Supporter
BTW I wouldn't do OTR here. Nobody I've spoken to here would. Places like this will waste your time splashing 15 gallons to get to another stop with slightly cheaper fuel. You'll spend half an hour at each detour to save them $5.

Electric Chicken

Jock
Supporter
I am one who thoroughly enjoys being an OTR driver and the “lifestyle”. I work for a larger company as a company driver and I sure the **** don’t get bossed around or *****ed at by anyone.

I had a substitute FM as mine was on vacation. He thought he was going to get loud and pissy and swear at me on the phone. Because I didn’t get the truck washed the week before. When he started yelling and cursing. I said calmly. That may work on your other drivers, but you just threw professionalism out the window. Now I’m going to professionally hang up my phone and all further contact had better be by QC message. And hung up the phone.

Ops manager calls and asks me what happened. I explained and explained my wash plan. He said very good and I went back to work.
So THAT'S where I'm going wrong. I hang up like an amateur.